Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would like to buy a new pea coat not vintage

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Looking to buy a new pea coat. Not looking for a vintage one. This will be for the weekends and will be wearing jeans and a sweater.

So what do you all suggest? And the color, some look black other dark navy and other a blue / grey. And should be if and taper in the sides?

Thanks to all in advance

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If the US, is anything like here in Norway, there should be a ton of places which offer peacoats if you are after a new one. I know of at least 4 men's stores here which are offering peacoats ranging from very traditional navy styles to more "modern" takes on the good old peacoat.

As to which colour, style, fit to choose, nobody can answer that but you. You're the one who has to fit it, wear it and enjoy it. Although I will say those with storm collars are useful if you live in an area which gets some wild and/or cold weather.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
True enough, there are lots of new pea coats out there. I'd avoid the under-$100 ones made by Rothco (big supplier of the majority of generic Army-Navy store merchandise), but well-known American-made brands like Fidelity, Sterling, and Schott are good bets.

If you end up going the Web-purchase route vs. buying in person, I doubt you'll do better than the old-style 32oz-wool Fidelity model available for $99 here:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/pea_coats.htm

I got my daughter one of their women's models last year, and it's a nicely made pea coat (though in a lighter-weight wool.) I've bought lots of stuff from this outfit, their prices and service are generally excellent.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I got one from J. Crew a few years ago...it had that Tinsulate (sp?) in it. It was really warm and held up well. I'm not sure if they have them this year, but it might be worth a try!

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Sterlingware of Boston

The Pea Coat I was issued when I was in the navy (early 1990's) was made by Sterlingware of Boston. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.sterlingwear.com/productlines.html

Their coats are of a very good quality and they are made in the USA. In addtion their prices are inline with everyone else that sells Pea Coats.

Cheers,

---Scott

Mike Hammer

New in Town
Doctor Strange said:
True enough, there are lots of new pea coats out there. I'd avoid the under-$100 ones made by Rothco (big supplier of the majority of generic Army-Navy store merchandise), but well-known American-made brands like Fidelity, Sterling, and Schott are good bets.

In general, avoid anything made by Rothco. Cheaply made of poor quality materials, and generally quality inspected by half blind drunken monkeys, their average product would fail any quality makers inspection process.

Commercial pea coats are usually made of lighter weight wool than the issue US Navy version, and will not be as well made, especially in the pocket linings. If you are an average sized joe, you should be able to get a regular issue pea coat for about the same or less than a new one. Check OFAS and see what you come up with. The Pea Coat has been on issue for something like 60+ years so "vintage" might not be so vintage. They tend to look alike except for very minor construction details so it's easy to get a 40-60 year old coat for a modern price. They also tend to be nearly impossible to wear out. The Coast Guard version will have nice shiny silver buttons instead of the large plastic ones, and the Officers pea coat will carry gold officers buttons.
There's also some East German pea type coats floating around too, these are nice and usually cheaper than the US version.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
jgilbert,
If you run over to Value City on Preston Highway or Dixie Highway, they have American Eagle Pea coats. Very heavy weight well made coats. They are not “authentic” pea coats, but very few would ever know that. If you are just going to wear it on weekends etc. it’s a good choice…….Oh yea, I forgot….They are $39.00.
Regards,
Forrestal

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Thanks Forrestal, Forgot all about that place.
Out of town this week-end, but next week may just have to head that way.

Thanks again

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Sorry to be a little off topic here but I picked up a couple of issue peacoats over the past year (with the help of member Peacoat). The first is from 1965 and the other from 1973. Both are made of the older style heavy and tight kersey wool and are dark navy blue rather than black. They are well made and in excellent condition. I will probably look for an earlier WW2 or 50's model coat next. They are simply wonderful and I would highly recommend them.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
jgilbert said:
Jacketquest, Are the coats issued today still as well made?

Thanks

From my understanding the wool used in current issue coats is not as thick as the older ones. This change occurred around 1980. However that is not to say that current issue insubstantial. Quite the contrary, they are fine garments.

Hopefully member Peacoat will chime in as he's the expert on these coats. If not, shoot him a PM. I did that the last time I was looking for one and he found several excellent ones on ebay that fit what I was looking for.

Good luck.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
SKBellis, I'm not sure what your experience was with your issue peacoat, but I hated mine! It had the low armholes (Where's Matt Deckard when you need him?!) and with the crackerjacks underneath it it was almost impossible to do anything that involved lifting your arms. Driving caused the thing to ride up around my ears. The horseblanket I had in the Marine Corps, on the other hand, was cut to move(yep, five years Marine Corps, four years Navy (Reserves) and 14 (and counting) Air Force). It was basically a long peacoat in OD, but was a far superior cut and I continued to wear that thing all through college.

JGilbert, just make sure to lift your arms up when you get your jacket and wear whatever layers you will want be able to wear underneath it when you try it on. All peacoats are not created equal!

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Armholes

Mojave,

You are correct. I had to switch up to a size larger so that my PeaCoat would work a little better.

Cheers,

--Scott

Peacoat

Bartender
I've never seen an issue coat I didn't like! If worried about too tight a fit, just go up one size. I am a 42 suit size, with a 34 inch waist, and find that a size 42 peacoat is a perfect fit for me. Makes no difference whether it is WWII, Korean, Vietnam or current issue, a 42 is a good fit. I don't find that they bind, even when worn with a wool sweater underneath. Maybe a little tight when reaching overhead, but I don't do much of that while wearing a peacoat.

As to quality: I would stay away from any but the issue coats, as you really don't know what you are getting. The current contract holder is Sterlingwear of Boston. They make an excellent coat. I got a civilian Sterlingwear version once at an Army/Navy Surplus Store (I know, I know), and it was good quality.

Up until 1978 the issue coats were the heavy "Kersey" wool. That year the Navy went to a lighter weight wool that was called "Melton" wool. The wool was lighter and the weave was not as tight as the original. To make up for the difference, Thinsulate was added as a liner. In my limited experience with the new coats, they are just as warm as the originals, but may not be as windproof. That was my gut feeling, but I did no testing. I talked with someone who had done some actual comparisons between the two, and he confirmed what I had felt. He said the new coats were not quite as windproof or as water resistant as the original version.

The coloring of the two coats is different to the practiced eye. The original Kersey coat was a dark midnight blue that looks black until it is closely observed in the daylight. The new Melton coat is a black coat, with no hint of blue.

I think the original question was about quality, and I believe I answered that: both old and new are good quality coats. When I start talking about these old pieces of history, it is hard for me to stick with just one topic, or to be brief.

If worried about the fit being too tight, just go one size larger. I never found that I needed to do that.

Hope all of this helps and that you have decided to go with the issue version rather than a civilian version.

Corto

A-List Customer
What you want is the US 740N by Schott.

Mine has survived many winters from New York City to Washington DC to Cleveland, Ohio. My Schott is tough and warm as hell. It'll keep you dry too.

It's good looking and highly functional. I swear by it.

Schott Link

740NAVY.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
If money's no object... try this. The higher eight button fastening and standing collar will keep you warm. They are the official peacoat makers for the U.S. military as Peacoat said, though this is a non-issue version. The issue ones are the wool/nylon blend and six button with a flat collar. They also make the six button ones in 100% wool, though I think it's only available with satin lining rather than quilted. I don't think you can find a better deal for new, quality ones. The cashmere blend and otherwise "fashionable" ones are really overpriced for what they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana