Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WOW DEADSTOCK 30s TIE FABRIC--ART DECO GALORE

DamianM

Vendor
https://www.etsy.com/listing/126933548/silk-tie-fabric-no13-vintage-abstract?ref=shop_home_feat

il_570xN.439845901_40eq.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/126921895/silk-tie-fabric-no10-vintage-abstract?ref=shop_home_active

il_570xN.439796916_llit.jpg

Im thinking serious for a yard? $35

we can pitch in, buy a yard and make us some awesome ties.
Who has the resilient construction patterns?!

DamianM

Vendor
It is up there for a single yard.
How many did you use?

Reason why I said if there was a collaboration effort.
I would hate these go into pillows.

do you have one of them ties for sale?

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Those patterns are remarkable. I'd buy some yardage right now if I had any idea how to sew... if anyone's gonna buy a couple yards and make some ties for the rest of us, do give me a shout. :eek:

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
I've been trying to sew myself a replica vintage tie for a few weeks, but I can't get the hang of the rolled edge! I've tried doing it by hand and using a rolled hem presser foot, with no success :(

Otherwise I would have been keen on some of this!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've been trying to sew myself a replica vintage tie for a few weeks, but I can't get the hang of the rolled edge! I've tried doing it by hand and using a rolled hem presser foot, with no success :(

Otherwise I would have been keen on some of this!

I originally tried doing it with a rolled hem foot, but the end of an unlined tie must be much more precise. I roll by hand, press, and baste the hem before sewing.

DamianM

Vendor
We want to see If we can all pitch in to get a couple of ties made. Its pretty rare to find neckties in these uber-deco designs

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Nick & damian etc,

If you are thinking of running some ties up from any of this you can count me in for one at least. Fabrics 3, 10 and 14 are my favourites.

DamianM

Vendor
This must happen.
We need to talk to Nick about how much is needed and how many we can divide it by, hence Nick has the patterns.

Most efficient way of cutting, you can get 2 ties from one yard of this stuff (It's pretty narrow, at 24") to produce a tie in the range 49-50" length. That leaves about 7" over on the end and about 3" on one side for inserts to add length. For the very much most efficient way to cut, you want 3 yards cut in a full length. You'll be able to get 7 ties from 3 yards, with some leftover to allow for inserts to lengthen for the larger necked gents.

DamianM

Vendor
so we need at least six people to divide the cost of 3 yards to get a total of 7 ties that will run a sum of 105 dollars.
ugh.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
You can add me to the list if this happens; and I'm a short guy who'd prefer a shorter tie, if that helps at all. ;) 9, 10 and 13 are my favorites. And you could theoretically ask the seller if she would offer a discount if multiple yards are purchased to save a little.

I actually gave in and bought a yard of no. 14 myself the other day - but not for ties, for something else.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Like Dhermann, I'm not a maths man, but will trust others to work things out. If someone (Nick?) was going to be making the ties, don't forget we need to add a figure for his labour.

Ideally, we can X amount of us to agree to buy a tie at a certain price and then whoever is going to make it can buy the fabric and make up the ties.

Hyena: Are you planning to make a pocket square?

I have been thinking about whether to buy a length to get a scarf made. It could turn out to be a thing of utter beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21