Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wristwatch Band

bjornborg11

New in Town
Whenever I wear a wrist watch I make sure that the band matches my shoes (black or brown). I also have some metal band watches (gold/platinum) I saw on another forum, that metal watches are really sports watches not to be used for dress or formal occasions. Is this true? Is this a more of an old fashioned notation that isn’t followed as strictly. I would like to get other thoughts.

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
My wrist is hairier than a freakin' monkey.
Metal bands ALWAYS pull my hair, so it's traditional leather bands for me.

Anyway.....yeah, generally metal bands are considered.....less formal....than their leather counterparts.
'Course there are exceptions to every rule, right?

Steve

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I think that the rule is ignored among the younger generation due to the influence of "bling" culture. I think I was guilty of it on an occasion or two, mostly at "dress to impress" parties of the age group.

The other thing to consider is the number of "complications" on the watch face. If watch a and b both have leather bands, but a has a minute hand, hour hand, 24 hour dial, 60 minute dial, 60 second dial, and an incremented bezel, while b only has minutes and seconds, then watch a is still less formal than watch b

P.S. Anyone else noticing that the "reply with quote" function doesn't seem to be working lately?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner