Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wristwatch dilemma - pic heavy, sorry.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
This is not a question about vintage items. I have committed to attending the annual pops concert/dinner at my local university (and alma mater). I will be wearing a single-breasted olive suit, black shoes, white shirt and silver tie with a black pattern (school colors are green and silver, go Greyhounds).

I originally anticipated wearing this watch on a black alligator strap (with rose gold deployant clasp):

closeup_2.jpg

or possibly this:

LZTIW.jpg

It occurs to me, however, that these will not do given the silver tie.

At this point I am short dress watches in stainless steel. I'm leaning toward this:

Dbyqd.jpg

mrara.jpg

It's hardly a "dress" watch, though it might be acceptable because it is a nice watch, and in a pinch I'd wear a stainless Rolex Sub or DSSD (if I had it).

But I have these candidates in the box as well:

Ol5Xd.jpg

Zxevn.jpg

pam111_on_black-2_zps6b95868a.jpg

pam111_on_black-1_zps2da469ff.jpg

This last one is pretty chunky and I'm not sure that it is at all suitable to wear with a suit. For scale here is a little better pic of it on a peanut brittle strap.

pam111_jameson_zps6f4071f3.jpg

What say you stylemasters here?

Mark

This is not a question about vintage items. I have committed to attending the annual pops concert/dinner at my local university (and alma mater). I will be wearing a single-breasted olive suit, black shoes, white shirt and silver tie with a black pattern (school colors are green and silver, go Greyhounds).

At this point I am short dress watches in stainless steel. I'm leaning toward this:

Dbyqd.jpg

mrara.jpg

It's hardly a "dress" watch, though it might be acceptable because it is a nice watch, and in a pinch I'd wear a stainless Rolex Sub or DSSD (if I had it).

But I have these candidates in the box as well:

Ol5Xd.jpg

Zxevn.jpg

pam111_on_black-2_zps6b95868a.jpg

pam111_on_black-1_zps2da469ff.jpg

This last one is pretty chunky and I'm not sure that it is at all suitable to wear with a suit. For scale here is a little better pic of it on a peanut brittle strap.

pam111_jameson_zps6f4071f3.jpg

What say you stylemasters here?

Mark

It's a bit of a toss-up between the Breitling and the Omega. While the Breitling looks too "busy," it does have the all silver accent while the Omega's burnt orange chapter ring looks a bit flashy.

On reflection my vote is for the Breitling. :thumb:

I think the rose gold watch with the black band will look great.
It will compliment your black shoes. I am guessing your wearing a black belt?
The black band and rose gold watch would be my choice.
Best regards
CCJ

Ugarte

A-List Customer
First of all, thanks to everyone for their quick replies.

In my opinion, the Longines, or the Jaeger, look best. The others look too...um..."Sporty"? Those look a bit more refined.

I agree that the sporty look of the Breitling (and pretty much everything else there) is a step away from a look that would compliment the outfit as I envision it. I am just a bit concerned about the rose gold with the silver tie (and silver and black cuff links I was planning on). As for the belt, yes, it would be black to match my shoes.

Of course, I could eschew the belt completely in favor of my white tuxedo suspenders. For that matter, I could go with brown (cordovan?) shoes and belt. Not really sure how that would look with the olive suit but, I have brown reptile bands for all these watches except the Breitling. Nevertheless, we're still back to a silver tie with black pattern.

necktie.jpg

The tie and the olive suit are pretty much out of the negotiation. But I can take a look at the rose gold watch and consider either gold or two-tone cufflinks. That might all work together.

I'll have to look at it.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ