Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Akubra Federation or hat modified to Indy style

McQ7

New in Town
Hey all--

I'm interested to know whether anyone has a Fed IV they'd be willing to part with, or maybe another (vintage?) had that's been modified to an Indy hat. Perhaps someone has upgraded or started a collection and no longer has need for their previous Indy hat? I'm looking to get my first one, and although I'm tempted by the affordable fur Stetsons from the 80's that turn up on Ebay, I really prefer the un-tapered Raiders style.

My head measurement ends up 55.5 or 55.7 cm and just under 22 in or right at 22 in. When I was looking into the Fed IV, the folks at hatsdirect.com advised me to order a size 57. The hat's true measurement is 56.5 and it will shrink down to fit. So a size 57 is what I would order if I were to buy new.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. edited just now when I realized this is my first post! Can't hardly believe it. I've lurked for years here. I'm an active forum participant and buyer/seller on some music gear sites like thegearpage, mylespaul, tdpri, etc (username McQ7 or McQ). And "yourcue" on Ebay with 100% positive feedback.

Last edited:
Hi, McQ7. Welcome to The Lounge. Depending on your budget, just get a new Fed IV. Akubras are very affordable and are great contemporary hats. I don' t have a Fed, but the folks around here are pretty enthusiasti . Based on the two Akubras I own, I have no reason to disagree.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I can help!

I've got a Federation III that I bought back in around 2003, mid-brown with a Raiders bash, size 57. (The III is a bit taller and wider-brimmed [2-7/8 x 2-3/4] than the Fed IV.)

It's in outstanding condition... but it's never really fit me right, is too-green a brown for anything in my wardrobe, and has somehow always felt more like an outback hat than a fedora to me.

I'm willing to part with it because I'm in the middle of a three-month wait for a new Campdraft!

Anyway, since you can't send private messages yet, use my email and we can discuss further if you're interested...

minoxman@optimum.net

BTW, I had one of those fur-felt Stetson Indy hats back in the 80s. The felt was beautiful, but it had a cloth sweatband - which was shockingly chintzy for a not-cheap hat.

McQ7

New in Town
Still thinking about my options. That Fed III might do the trick. But if anyone has looked here and tried to contact me, sorry for not allowing emails! I've corrected that, and just changed my settings so members can send me email now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk