Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Any vintage black fur felt fedora, 2⅜" or 2¼" brim, modest taper (head size 58.3 cm)

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
After 2 years of searching for what seemed like a pretty standard hat, I'm posting here as a last resort. I won't even specify ribbon or crown height; I'll work with what ever.

Ideally: vintage dress weight black felt (beaver seems like it's out of the realm of possibility, but I prefer it), some - but not much - taper, tallish crown to be creased moderately low, lot of flange, 2¼" brim.

Doesn't even need to be particularly soft and pliable; I'll just steam in my preferred crease and let it be.

Will buy or trade black '90s Borsalino that is marked 7 1/4 but fits more like 7 1/8. Crown is lower and tapered, 2 ½" brim.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Good suggestion, but my experiences in that area haven't panned out too well. I'm fairly set on the idea of vintage felt for a number of reasons one might guess.

Ill even take a wider brim and have it sent off to be trimmed. I wonder if some Orthodox Jewish hats from 50+ years ago could be found. They're ripe for a modification.

Bump, I suppose.

What hat size are you looking for. I’m assuming 7 1/4, but your precision in your measurement has me wondering.

With the modest brim you specified you’re looking at a 1930(ish) hat that is quite rare or a 1960(ish) hat made when most hat companies in the US were in steep decline and the quality can be disappointing.

Still, I regularly find 7 1/4 hats from late 1950s or 1960s that sound close to what you’re looking for. I don’t usually buy them because they are too small for me and it’s not where the money is if I wanted to re-sell the hat. If you don’t want to go custom, my advice is to put in the hours scouring the web. If I see anything that looks like a possible I’ll let you know. Good luck.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
What hat size are you looking for. I’m assuming 7 1/4, but your precision in your measurement has me wondering.

With the modest brim you specified you’re looking at a 1930(ish) hat that is quite rare or a 1960(ish) hat made when most hat companies in the US were in steep decline and the quality can be disappointing.

Still, I regularly find 7 1/4 hats from late 1950s or 1960s that sound close to what you’re looking for. I don’t usually buy them because they are too small for me and it’s not where the money is if I wanted to re-sell the hat. If you don’t want to go custom, my advice is to put in the hours scouring the web. If I see anything that looks like a possible I’ll let you know. Good luck.
Thanks! I really appreciate you keeping an eye out. 7 1/4 is my size, indeed.

My pipe dream is a pre-WWII hat, but I mostly prefer just anything pre-1970. The older the better (as I think we'd all agree on).

I've scoured for what feels like endless hours, over the course the last year and a half. I've seen your stuff up for sale, too! You've got some great looking hats, and nicely photographed as well (counts for a lot).

I'm definitely leaning toward a 2⅜" brim over 2¼" since making this post. I'm not even opposed to sending a hat off to be modified, provided there's enough material to work with. It may be uneconomical over going custom, but I'm quite fixed on the notion of vintage felt. (Though I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea that custom might be my only option.)

Thanks again!

(P.S. - I've recently watched 'Charade' with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant and old episodes of The Addams Family, and the stingy brims and tapered crowns are a world apart from the hats of the old film noir, and - in my opinion - not for the better.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko