Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Lewis Leathers Dominator (40-42 / L)

The 59er Highwayman replicate a jacket made by Rivett's of Leytonstone, one of many designs they sold under the 'Highwayman' brand. When Ken made the first Aero Highwayman jacket c. 1983, it was based on an original Rivett's item, but cut boxier as a more American style jacket. The 59er model goes back and replicates the original more directly. Rivett's were a rival to D. Lewis / Aviakit back in the Sixties, and made similar stuff - you'll find echoes of all the main Lewis designs in the Highwayman brand, though afaik it went both ways: I've seen a Highwayman or two that was a straight copy of the Lightning, and on the other hand, I've seen shirt-collar styles from Highwayman that were made in the late fifties - before Lewis' introduction of their versions in 62. At some point Lewis bought out the Rivett's of Leytonstone company, though I don't know exactly when (I do know a guy who aced speedway in the 70s in the UK, and the two camps in leathers among them were Lewis and Rivett's, but that could well have been so even with the same parent company). Lewis did drop the Highwayman brand at some point, long enough that when they tried to use it again in the early 90s, Aero had legitimately taken ownership.

Leathermonkeys started as second hand dealers, mainly in Lewises, and then later also added their own range of Lewis copies. They caused some upset by using the RTM "Lewis" in their auction titles on eBay selling their copies. I've never handled one, so I don't know what the quality is like. At the price (significantly less than half that of a Lewis, and currently as low as £249 a pop across their range), they certainly won't be UK made, though I have no idea wrt the quality.

Another option out there is Hi Star Classics. http://hi-star.co.uk/ These guys have been dealing in vintage bike jackets for decades (twenty years ago I used to look at them in Camden market and goggle at the £200 price for an original - now I wish I had picked one up at that for my Franknfurter jacket!). They have original Lewis, Highwayman, and others at the going rate (the photos concentrate on the more decorate Rocker jackets, but they also do the plainer options!). In recent years, they've taken to making their own copies as well, on a custom basis - I hear tell they're around £500, and made in the UK. Again, I don't know who makes them for them or the quality, but they do certainly look nice.

As well as Mascot, GoldTop are a British brand that has been revived of late - https://www.goldtop.co.uk/jackets ; I'm waiting for them to finish their work on getting their jackets to look right with armouring, and then I'll buy one of their 1959 model jackets to patch-up as my own Rocker jacket.

Cheers, Edward! Thanks for the info. Goldtop seems to be ahead of the game right now - really nice line up they've got there and all their jackets got that distinct British vibe to 'im. Really cool stuff. 1959 is sweet tho I wish it had a more exaggerated collar, like the Dominator. It'd kill, then. The order would of course had to be made with that sweater.

Edward

Bartender
Cheers, Edward! Thanks for the info. Goldtop seems to be ahead of the game right now - really nice line up they've got there and all their jackets got that distinct British vibe to 'im. Really cool stuff. 1959 is sweet tho I wish it had a more exaggerated collar, like the Dominator. It'd kill, then. The order would of course had to be made with that sweater.

Kinda special, isn't it? I like all the jackets on their range - the 617 would be a cracking jacket too, but really they don't have any I wouldn't wear. Between them and Masdcot, it's nice to see some of the old Brit brands being resurrected providing jackets at that mid-market price brand that are their own thing rather than a a take-off of Lewis or Aero or what have you.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hi!

Long shot, I know, but I would like to own a Lewis Leathers (to think I could've had it for a few $'s) and what better jacket to start with than a Dominator so... Hoping to acquire a LL Dominator in a size 40 to 42 (perhaps 44) or L. New ones are a bit too pricey for my pocket and for some insane reason, they're even more expensive on eBay, so I'm hoping that perhaps someone here has got one they bought during their pvnk days and want to pass it on now for a reasonable price. :) Don't care about the condition, just as long as the jacket is holding together.

Thanks and cheers!

looks like a dominator to me, but I know nothing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253119118340?ul_noapp=true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana