Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB mouton type snap on police jacket collar

TLW '90

Practically Family
I'm looking to buy a snap on mouton type collar from most likely an old police jacket that I can modify to fit on my jacket.
The collar on my size 36 jacket jacket is 16" for what that's worth, I don't know how the collar sizing works.

If anybody has a collar laying around off an old police jacket that they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I don't care if the collar is real fur / mouton or not.

Black is just fine, but I would rather have brown if I could.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Giving this a bump, I'm still looking and hopeful I can find something.

robrinay

One Too Many
If you’re skillful enough to modify one then why not just make one? Get hold of some black mouton, a piece of black leather, some snaps that fit those on your Police jacket and you’ll have a tailor made fit rather than a near fit job. ps advice is for taking or leaving up to you.

TLW '90

Practically Family
If you’re skillful enough to modify one then why not just make one? Get hold of some black mouton, a piece of black leather, some snaps that fit those on your Police jacket and you’ll have a tailor made fit rather than a near fit job. ps advice is for taking or leaving up to you.
I wouldn't even know where to begin, I've never actually seen one in person.

Btw I didn't think adding 2 snaps in the location I need them was something that required much skill, but maybe there's something I just don't know ?

robrinay

One Too Many
I wouldn't even know where to begin, I've never actually seen one in person.

Btw I didn't think adding 2 snaps in the location I need them was something that required much skill, but maybe there's something I just don't know ?
You can buy most sizes and types of snaps on eBay. The sellers also sell the tools you need to fix them and YouTube will provide videos of how to. The mouton collars on Schott leather jackets and others I’ve seen are made of a piece of leather and a piece of mouton the same shape but slightly larger than your jackets collar stitched together, the fur side facing the shiny side of the leather leaving one side open then turn it right side out. If you’ve judged it right it should slip over the jackets collar and sit right. Lastly mark where the snaps need to go and fix them. You could make a mock up in cloth first to practice.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I know how to install snaps, and if that's all I need to do to modify an existing collar then I'd rather just do that than try making one.
I don't really know how to sew or have a sewing machine...ect.
I can stitch holsters and knife sheaths, but actually sewing is not a skill I have.

I know how to install snaps, and if that's all I need to do to modify an existing collar then I'd rather just do that than try making one.
I don't really know how to sew or have a sewing machine...ect.
I can stitch holsters and knife sheaths, but actually sewing is not a skill I have.
Buy one of these jackets and install the snaps on the collar and your jacket:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115543786048?
1670527893183.png

I used an old brown Blauer collar for my Vanson and it turned out perfectly.
BD462709-C830-48F0-871B-6BC09E345A26.jpeg

I'll upload some pics of how I did it if you'd like.

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
if you can sew knife sheaths the above is a piece of cake -you might not need the Velcro tags. I made it for a Schott d pocket when I found out they wanted $140 for their faux mouton version.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
if you can sew knife sheaths the above is a piece of cake -you might not need the Velcro tags. I made it for a Schott d pocket when I found out they wanted $140 for their faux mouton version.
Maybe, but a saddle stitch on knife sheaths and gun holsters isn't exactly the same as this kind of sewing.

robrinay

One Too Many
Maybe, but a saddle stitch on knife sheaths and gun holsters isn't exactly the same as this kind of sewing.
True but the point I was making (for anyone thinking about tackling the task) was that if one can learn the complex procedures involved in saddle stitching, (it involves grooving pricking clamping and sewing with two needles - info for the uninitiated) then a simple running stitch or better still back stitch in a straight line shouldn’t be too hard for one to learn.

That would be great.

I'll look for a blauer jacket, if I can find one in my size that I can take the collar and the jacket I can just wear at work.
I'll post some this weekend. You can probably get a blauer for under $50, which is far less than you'll spend on retro fitting a collar you can buy from Vanson or Schott. The snaps themselves are dirt cheap off amazon and the kit that includes the snap setter is even cheaper than the snaps alone.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I'll post some this weekend. You can probably get a blauer for under $50, which is far less than you'll spend on retro fitting a collar you can buy from Vanson or Schott. The snaps themselves are dirt cheap off amazon and the kit that includes the snap setter is even cheaper than the snaps alone.
I have a snap setter, I'd just have to get an assortment to get the right size I guess.
I'll look on Ebay ( I don't shop on SCAMAZON)

@TLW '90
Here is how I did it with the Blauer collar. Blauer jackets are great for shoveling snow so buying a $40 jacket is a good investment anyway.

Yellow arrow snaps are male to meet the Vanson female. Red arrow is female to meet Vansons male. The nylon in those Blauer jackets is insanely thick. I used a leather punch for the holes to set the snaps. I could’ve set more snaps but it seemed like overkill. It doesn’t budge with the three. Hope this helps.
815BBCE5-4528-4E05-A8E3-31E95370AC11.jpeg
4AA7DD33-75E3-4FA7-8036-2356A4A65D53.jpeg
668DA308-1FD4-4E32-AF8A-DAC1F72279A9.jpeg
9BC6D8ED-6E51-4069-893C-62B5C4B2EB20.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm