Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Panama Milan Fedora 7 3/8 or 7 1/2

Apollo

Familiar Face
:)
I love the look of a nice Panama hat, but my lifestyle lends itself more towards milan hats; they seem to be more durable and less delicate.
Thanks, I tend to notice Panama can be delicate. What are your favourite Milan and/or Panama hat brands or makers for a reasonable price. I am looking a fedora style shape.

Thanks, I tend to notice Panama can be delicate. What are your favourite Milan and/or Panama hat brands or makers for a reasonable price. I am looking a fedora style shape.

There aren’t many Milan makers. I have a couple from VS, but the hatter has retired. Optimo makes an incredible Milan, but you’ll need deep pockets for anything with the Optimo name. I have a stiffer Milan on order from Peter Bros., but I’m approaching double to time estimate for completion and I’m hesitant to recommend them. You can always go with Stetson et al and get a hemp Milan (same as the Peters Bros.). Otherwise, the vintage market is where mine have come from. I’m still first in line for a Milan from The Phoenix Hat Co. when Rick @humanshoes starts making them, but that could be a while as he’s in contention for the world’s busiest man title. :)

Good luck.

Apollo

Familiar Face
I notice optimo hats tend to me mention and they tend to be in the 1k + range. I can’t say that the hats are worth that amount of money. I have seen hats with 1/10th of the price and they looks just as good as optimo. What is your take?

I notice optimo hats tend to me mention and they tend to be in the 1k + range. I can’t say that the hats are worth that amount of money. I have seen hats with 1/10th of the price and they looks just as good as optimo. What is your take?
Check out the Panama hat thread here in the Loungeby using google search. You will find ideas on good online Panama hat sellers where you can pick up a decent hat for $100 - $150. Great place to start.

The law of diminishing returns is definitely at work. A $1,000 Optimo isn’t twice as nice as $500 VS, but the Milan Optimos have been some of the nicest I’ve seen, not including vintage. Personally, I don’t like the block shapes that Optimo uses for his felt hats so I’m not tempted much there, but I’d love to find one of their Milans used.

For Milan hats, there really isn’t a lot of competition for comparison. If you don’t mind a stiff/hard finish, you could look at Stratton’s Milans; although, they are not fedora shaped. A hemp Milan Stetson Stratoliner might be an option for you.

:)
I love the look of a nice Panama hat, but my lifestyle lends itself more towards milan hats; they seem to be more durable and less delicate.
Yes, that is why I tend to not buy expensive Panama hats. $100 or so gets a decent hat, one I can wear and not be precious about keeping it 'nice'. Wear it, sweat in it, beat it up. .....buy a new one. I do have one from Mike at NW Hat that is my 'dress' panama. and I end up babying it and not wearing it.

Apollo

Familiar Face
Check out the Panama hat thread here in the Loungeby using google search. You will find ideas on good online Panama hat sellers where you can pick up a decent hat for $100 - $150. Great place to start.
Thanks man! You are always offer great advice and information!

Apollo

Familiar Face
The law of diminishing returns is definitely at work. A $1,000 Optimo isn’t twice as nice as $500 VS, but the Milan Optimos have been some of the nicest I’ve seen, not including vintage. Personally, I don’t like the block shapes that Optimo uses for his felt hats so I’m not tempted much there, but I’d love to find one of their Milans used.

For Milan hats, there really isn’t a lot of competition for comparison. If you don’t mind a stiff/hard finish, you could look at Stratton’s Milans; although, they are not fedora shaped. A hemp Milan Stetson Stratoliner might be an option for you.
Wow, those hats from Stratton remind me of Smokey bear!

Wow, those hats from Stratton remind me of Smokey bear!

They make several models. Some feel more like natural “straw” and some feel like they are coated in plastic.

CDEC9EB5-57A3-47EF-9E8A-164B21CF1023.jpeg
ACDC595B-A8C8-4042-95B7-3351AB8628E2.jpeg
FCBEC894-AE98-4A52-A2CF-3052A6BB5B7E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points