Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW II movies

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well, being flat on my back this last weekend, I did some reading and a lot of TV watching. Due to it being Memorial Day weekend, there were some great war movies on too! Including some of my favorites like:
The Longest Day & Run Silent Run Deep.

STHill

One of the Regulars
A few of my all time favorite war movies:

Twelve O'clock High
Das Boot
The Bridges at Toki Ri
Bridge on the River Kwai

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by STHill
A few of my all time favorite war movies:

Twelve O'clock High
Das Boot
The Bridges at Toki Ri
Bridge on the River Kwai

Ahh... good calls. Twelve O'clock high was shown over the weekend too. Das boot I've seen on tape, but I don't ever recall seeing it on tv. Bridge on the river Kwai was on a few weeks ago and I think it's great. The Bridges at Toki Ri is one I'm not familiar with. How about some more details on that one?

STHill

One of the Regulars
Bridges at Toki Ri

Bill Holden as a Naval aviator flying jets off a carrier during the Korean war. Like the others I mentioned, gripping war drama without glorifying war. Excellent and underrated. Oh yeah, you get to look at Grace Kelly, too.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by STHill
Bridges at Toki Ri

Bill Holden as a Naval aviator flying jets off a carrier during the Korean war. Like the others I mentioned, gripping war drama without glorifying war. Excellent and underrated. Oh yeah, you get to look at Grace Kelly, too.

I'll have to see if my son can run to the video store and possibly rent it. I'm really cranking out the movies and it looks like I'll be laid up at least through the weekend, so any good movie tips are greatly appreciated!!!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
l would like to see The Bridges at Toki Ri again. I say again because I probably saw it on TV in the sixties or seventies but don't remember.

Other great WWII flicks I love are:

China
The Great Escape
and let's not forget Casablanca ;)

Also I enjoy all submarine movies of the era.

Here is a list of over 600 hundred WWII films that are on line:

http://users.aol.com/MUMBLESAIL/warmovies.html

Enjoy!

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by MK
l would like to see The Bridges at Toki Ri again. I say again because I probably saw it on TV in the sixties or seventies but don't remember.

Other great WWII flicks I love are:

China
The Great Escape
and let's not forget Casablanca ;)

Also I enjoy all submarine movies of the era.

Here is a list of over 600 hundred WWII films that are on line:

http://users.aol.com/MUMBLESAIL/warmovies.html

Enjoy!

Thanks MK. I'll browse through it. I had forgotten about the
Great Escape. That is really one of my all time favorites!!

gobler

One of the Regulars
I just watched A Bridge Too Far today. Saw it a long time ago but forgot how good it was, not to mention the outstanding cast.

Cheers,
Jeff

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by gobler
I just watched A Bridge Too Far today. Saw it a long time ago but forgot how good it was, not to mention the outstanding cast.

Cheers,
Jeff

That's not ringing a bell for me. I don't know if I've ever even seen it! Who is in it?

chipuk

New in Town
I dont want to write up a big list but it had
Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Laurence Olivier,
Denholm Elliot!!, et al.

gobler

One of the Regulars
Yeah chipuk just named off the biggies. Good fllick. I also just watched Only Angels Have Wings with Cary Grant. Good period film set in the Adies. Also was able catch Secret of the Incas finaly.

Cheers,
Jeff

LuckyLighter

Familiar Face
I just saw John Frankenheimer's The Train last night on TCM. Starring Burt Lancaster, Paul Scofield, and Jeanne Moureau, it told the story of a French railworker fighting with the Resistance, who gets charged with the task of stopping a Nazi train loaded with French art masterpieces from leaving France, as Allied forces push forward towards the liberation of Paris in 1944.

I had never seen this movie before, but I can see why it was called, "the last of the great black and white action movies."

Another good WWII flick I saw recently on TCM was 36 Hours with James Garner and Rod Taylor. It's more of a suspense drama, than action movie--very Hitchcockian. Rod Taylor plays a Nazi officer trying to get information about D-Day from Garner's captured Major Pike. Taylor tries to convince Garner that the war is already over.

As far as other classic WWII flicks go, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Where Eagles Dare with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood...it's one of my all time favorite war movies (along with The Great Escape ).

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
You could watch a WWII film festival of only Donald Sutherland and get some variety.
"The Dirty Dozen", "The Eye of the Needle", 'The Eagle Has Landed", "Kelly's Heroes" etc. are all good and Mr. Sutherland is completely different in each.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I liked Guadalcanal Diary, Go 4 Broke, and Operation Petticoat.:eusa_doh: Sometimes at work I feel like I'm Tony Curtis in that film and have to do all kinds of crazy crap to get what I need.lol Also; Mister Roberts.

Hondo

One Too Many
Revolution 1776

I Know it says WWII but being The 4th of July and all (Memorial Day was over guys sorry to go :eek:fftopic: ) I went with History Channel this weekend on “Revolution” 1776, George Washington. In my school days they never taught history as exciting and interesting as History Channel. All the actors in this series were outstanding if not fantastic. :eusa_clap

Marv

A-List Customer
Ice Cold in Alex
Malta Story
Yank in the RAF
Flying Leathernecks
Flying Tigers
Sands of Iwo Jima
A Matter of Life and Death
Between Heaven and Hell
Tora, Tora, Tora
Guns of Navarone
From here to eternity

Some of my favourites and too many more to list.....oh yeah, happy 4th July celebrations to you chaps across the pond :eusa_clap

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Mine have mostly been mentioned...

12 o'Clock High - possibly the best WW2 movie dealing with conventional warfare.

Casablanca - easy to forget it is very much a war film.

A Canterbury Tale - probably unfamiliar to US loungers, but a beautiful and haunting evocation of Englishness set on the Home front

Lacombe Lucien - fantastic 1970s made study of resistance and collaboration in occupied France. Very controversial at the time because of its unflinching portrayal of the extent of French collaboration, and of the way in which unforseen twists of fate can push the individual one way or the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto