Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWI (1918-1919) Clothing

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry if there is already a thread for this... I didn't see one but that doesn't mean that there isn't one...

We are doing a dinner at work that will cover the time from 1826-1946. We have everything covered except WWI (1918-1919). One of my friends has volunteered to dress in this style if I help her make the clothing. But I need help!!! Everything I find on the internet is either flapper style (too late) or early Victorian (too early).

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me on anything and everything such as where to find patterns, where to find research on hair styles, etc.

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Don't know how much i can help; i know next to nothing about the styles of that time, but i've studied WWI a fair bit. I thought maybe some of these propaganda posters could provide a bit of inspiration, if not explanation. They mostly only show women as Lady Liberty or in uniform (nurse, military or land army). But here are a few of the "ordinary girl back home" sort:

I thought this showed her hairstyle fairly well:
http://www.firstworldwar.com/posters/images/pp_us_223.jpg

and some others:
http://www.firstworldwar.com/posters/images/pp_us_297.jpg
http://www.firstworldwar.com/posters/images/pp_us_301.jpg
http://www.firstworldwar.com/posters/images/pp_us_350.jpg
http://www.firstworldwar.com/posters/images/pp_us_266.jpg

hope that help a little (or is at least interesting ;)!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
SOme examples of fashion of the late 1910s:

474px-Irene_Castle_Summer_Costume_before_1917.jpg

Jane%20Green-1918.jpg

lurlinevincent1918.jpg

Ida%20Kaufman%20and%20Jennie%20Berman%20ca%201918.jpg

The dresses were often sleeveless, low-cut, lots of beads, skirts were usually layered and empire waisted. Lots of frills! Bandeaus were very popular, as were large, frilly hats -- though not as extreme as the decade before! Oversized coats and louis heels on shoes that come to the ankle. Skirts were still long -- mid calf. Hair hadn't been bobbed yet, but it was worn up in a bob style. A jazzy smile helps, too.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
This is one of my very favorite eras.

Try these out:
1918-1919 catalog images
1917-1918 catalog images
Costumes.org for 1911-1920

For patterns, I've made several of these. If you can follow old patterns and know sewing without instructions you might give them a try. If you need instructions, pass on them. The patterns toward the bottom are the era you're looking for. I don't really know any accurate patterns other than originals and copies of originals. Folkwear has some that might work. You may want to try the Paris Promenade dress or the Garden Party Dress, if you make it hit just a little above ankle length. I have the Armistice Blouse pattern, and it looks pretty acurate to originals I have, but you'd have to make a skirt like one from Past Patterns to make the whole look work.
For shoes try a pump with a pointed toe and louis heel or lace up boots with both those features.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Slap my face for peeking ladies, but wasn't the Great War 1914 to 1918? Even though our American friends were a bit tardy for the party, some of us were fighting and dying from August '14 onwards....

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yes, you are indeed right. Americans don't really represent ourselves involved until the end, and usually in events it is for the year 1918, unless, of course, we're portraying the different countries who were involved. I generally think of WWI clothing for the dates you mentioned, and generally in costume terms they use it describing the years 1914-1920, and Edwardian from 1901-1913. Thanks for reminding us!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I recall a friend from university who'd emigrated to Canada from Russia in the late 1980s. She kept referring to the "Great Patriotic War", 1941 to 1945 (of course, the SECOND world war started in September, 1939, well, for some of us it did!).

When I pointed out to her that the Soviet Union was an ally of Nazi Germany prior to 1941, she wasn't too keen to talk about the patriotic war much more!

I'll stop peeking now, promise!

Mr. C.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Thanks!

MisterCairo said:
Slap my face for peeking ladies, but wasn't the Great War 1914 to 1918? Even though our American friends were a bit tardy for the party, some of us were fighting and dying from August '14 onwards....

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I will go throught these after work today.

You are correct in saying WWI started in 1914 :) but for this event we are representing Jefferson Barracks which was a US Army basic training/induction center so seeing as the US had a policy of isolationism and didn't enter the war until April 1917 that's why I put that date. But as many of us still do today we wear clothes forever (especially those of us that wear vintage clothing) so anything for a few years prior to that time period would work for this event.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Have you tried Amazon to look for books. The have some absolutely wonderful books about this era. Also, books by Kristina Harris are wonderful, since she has photos of actual dresses from that time. Hope it all turns out well.
Sarah

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Jefferson Barracks

Pardon the intrusion, but I couldn’t help but mention that my grandfather was born in Jefferson Barracks in July, 1915, and the 1920 census lists his family still there (well, my great-grandmother and the kids in Carondelet Township; my great-grandfather at the base). So in some ways, you’re portraying my great-grandmother!

Unfortunately, they were poor and had a big family, so I have no period pictures to offer you.

-David

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Jefferson Barracks

David Conwill said:
Pardon the intrusion, but I couldn’t help but mention that my grandfather was born in Jefferson Barracks in July, 1915, and the 1920 census lists his family still there (well, my great-grandmother and the kids in Carondelet Township; my great-grandfather at the base). So in some ways, you’re portraying my great-grandmother!

Unfortunately, they were poor and had a big family, so I have no period pictures to offer you.

-David

That's awesome! We try to keep the memory or those that came before us alive by doing these events. This event will actually cover the whole history of JB or as much as we can do with volunteers and the limited amount of period correct clothing. We don't really ever get into WWI very much because there is a limited number of reenactors in the area to do those events so we try to do what we call "timeline" events that cover all eras including WWI. Our biggest event is WWII weekend in april though which is how I fell in love with vintage clothing!!

If you are ever in the area JB county park has a museum that covers the history or the military base from 1826 until 1946. There is also another musuem that has a rotating exhibit. And it's a lovely park to drive around (or walk!) Unfortunatly some or the WWI and WWII era buildings are gone but many or the pre WWII buildings are still there (I guess that says something about quality huh?) The national cemetery is a great history lesson also. I believe it is the only national cemetery in the US that has Nazi and Italian grave sites. (don't quote me on that one though...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112