Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWI Aviator Look

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey Mycroft,
I am so excited to hear this. I am doing the same thing. You have probably seen my humble first attemtps in my Newport thread.

Personally, I love this jacket, though I think it is misnamed: http://www.flightjacket.com/store/barnstormer.aspx It's called the "Barnstormer" though most photos I've seen of barnstormers, they were wearing 3/4 length double-breasted jackets. I would have called this the "Test Pilot," but that is just me. Perhaps, you are going for an earlier look.

Check out flightjacket.com

There are things to be found here as well: http://www.uswings.com/barnstormer.asp

Hey, good luck and let me know how you make out.:)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think you're probably right.
The silk scarf is easy enough. They are everywhere, for no more than $30 or so. Of course, you need a leather jacket. You have an Indy jacket, I assume? That will do the trick. ;)

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
I think you're probably right.
The silk scarf is easy enough. They are everywhere, for no more than $30 or so. Of course, you need a leather jacket. You have an Indy jacket, I assume? That will do the trick. ;)

Nope, never owned a real jacket in my life, I live and have lived my entire life in Florida. I am moving up north or England for University, so I am looking for jackets. The Indy Jacket, lacks the the look of an aviator in my opion, because of the pockets, I guess.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mycroft said:
Nope, never owned a real jacket in my life, I live and have lived my entire life in Florida. I am moving up north or England for University, so I am looking for jackets. The Indy Jacket, lacks the the look of an aviator in my opion, because of the pockets, I guess.
Oh, lucky you (from a man who lives in Boston!). Don't let the pockets of an Indy jacket throw you off; many aviators, after the war, wore A-2s and they had the same pockets as an Indy jacket.
Assuming you had one was a bad assumption on my part. I guessed based on the fact that you mentioned a Webley, the pants, and shirt; basically, the essential Indy-kit. So, I was way-off on that one! As usual.
:)
In any case, the leather flight jacket really makes the aviator look.

Good luck!

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Oh, lucky you (from a man who lives in Boston!). Don't let the pockets of an Indy jacket throw you off; many aviators, after the war, wore A-2s and they had the same pockets as an Indy jacket.
Assuming you had one was a bad assumption on my part. I guessed based on the fact that you mentioned a Webley, the pants, and shirt; basically, the essential Indy-kit. So, I was way-off on that one! As usual.
:)
In any case, the leather flight jacket really makes the aviator look.

Good luck!

Look, it was fine, people many Florida have Leather Jackets, but I wear a lot of sweaters instead when it is colder out. But, good work with the context clues(I am just playing). The Jacket makes it or breaks it.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I actually did this about a year ago when I went skiing. Everyone in my group who went skiing had a different outfit. I went as an aviator, my brother went as a Pirate, my other brother went as a simmer of some kind, and my cousins went as a ninja and a sherpa:

Hint, I'm the one in the middle

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Sorry, forgot to specify what I used. I got a flight cap, vintage goggles, and a white silk scarf (from garcia aviation) off of ebay, then I wore my indy jacket, indy pants and shirt, and a black tie. I think it came out pretty good for a thrown together costume.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Type A-1 jacket (woolen or leather) or Barstormer coat, moleskin or duck breehes, silk scarf, googles, leather puttees, low quarter boots.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It's not actually that easy-

All WW1 aviators wore breeches/jodphurs with either low boots/high puttees/high leather gaiters, or high boots. American flyers can be seen wearing cloth trench coats and leather variants in warmer weather and usually a heavy, fur lined one-piece leather suit AND leather coat in colder weather. (imagine an open cockpit in winter....)

Germans often wore a 3/4 length DB leather coat and high riding boots.

You can find many photos of Eddie Rickenbacker wearing a 3/4 trench coat over his service uniform and also many images of Manfred von Richthofen wearing a 3/4 leather coat and high boots.

There can be a distinct difference between the common conception of WW1 pilots' gear and actual flying gear. We tend to think of the dashing 3/4 length coat, breeches and boots image. What we see in posed photos is the glamourous ensemble, not necessarily the cumbersome and unglamourous flying clothing.

Short leather jackets were not common at this time but later became popular between the Wars- the Barnstorming, private aviation and Mail Pilot thing.
The A-1 type jacket was a post-WW1 style -around mid '20s up to the beginning of WW2.
It was a military version of a civilian sporting jacket.

To make an impression as a WW1 aviator you really need the riding breeches- (this sets you apart and defines the era)a leather coat would complete the impression. Of course you need a flying helmet, scarf and goggles-

AL00569_lrg.jpg

gi99ww1a.jpg

214.jpg

092403_main.jpg

368.jpg

freres-richthofen.jpg

AP9G2.jpg

B
T

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WW1 leather helmet...

Garcia, do a nice leather version and reasonably priced. Personally, I think the A-1 is a cracking wee jacket and versatile so that you can wear it comfortably with jeans as much as with jodphurs!! Depending on how you want to dress up during the day!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
It's not actually that easy-

All WW1 aviators wore breeches/jodphurs with either low boots/high puttees/high leather gaiters, or high boots. American flyers can be seen wearing cloth trench coats and leather variants in warmer weather and usually a heavy, fur lined one-piece leather suit AND leather coat in colder weather. (imagine an open cockpit in winter....)

Germans often wore a 3/4 length DB leather coat and high riding boots.

You can find many photos of Eddie Rickenbacker wearing a 3/4 trench coat over his service uniform and also many images of Manfred von Richthofen wearing a 3/4 leather coat and high boots.

There can be a distinct difference between the common conception of WW1 pilots' gear and actual flying gear. We tend to think of the dashing 3/4 length coat, breeches and boots image. What we see in posed photos is the glamourous ensemble, not necessarily the cumbersome and unglamourous flying clothing.

Short leather jackets were not common at this time but later became popular between the Wars- the Barnstorming, private aviation and Mail Pilot thing.
The A-1 type jacket was a post-WW1 style -around mid '20s up to the beginning of WW2.

It was a military version of a civilian sporting jacket.

To make an impression as a WW1 aviator you really need the riding breeches- (this sets you apart and defines the era) a leather coat would complete the impression. Of course you need a flying helmet, scarf and goggles-

Geez, BT... How DO you know all of this stuff?!!

MYCROFT: The second MaGuire book (More Silver Wings, Pinks, and Greens) has a lot of useful information for WWI, between the Wars, WWII, and CAP. I would also suggest the Osprey "Men-at-Arms" series. (I haven't checked anything but the WWII volumes, but I know they have WWI titles.)

up196

A-List Customer
Flying jackets

Cirrus in the UK has a selection of long and 3/4 length motoring and flying jackets. Looks like nice stuff, but the prices are high. The style #6 (sheepskin) under flying jackets may be what you're looking for. Take a look . . .

www.flyingjacket.com

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I think it depends, too, on whether you're going for a military look for re-enacting and special events, or just for an aviator look in your daily wear. If it's the latter, watch The Great Waldo Pepper. Great period flick with a lot of variety in clothing to borrow from. The riding boots or leather puttees are almost a requirement, but since it's tough for guys to walk around in tall boots these days...! Waldo Pepper gives you a few options for the look without the boots.

Actually, Mycroft, your sweaters will serve you well, since they were commonly worn by pilots, such as the classic RAF turtleneck sweater. Eastman Leather has one that looks to be pretty good. I'm sure Paddy has one of these and can advise!
rafsweater.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points