Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Ace Don Lopez

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Via AvWeb:
Donald S. Lopez, 84, author, aviator, and deputy director of the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum (NASM) in Washington, D.C., died of a heart attack on March 3. Lopez joined the Smithsonian in 1972 as part of the team that planned the NASM, which opened in July 1976. "The nation has lost a true hero and the Smithsonian has lost a great leader," Smithsonian Institution acting secretary Cristi?°n Samper said in a news release on Wednesday. "Don Lopez was an American Ace fighter pilot, author, educator, and museum professional beloved by all who came in contact with him." Lopez flew 101 missions in China, piloting Curtiss P-40s and North American P-51 Mustangs for the U.S. Air Force, and later flew North American F-86s in Korea. Among many other awards and honors, Lopez was heralded as one of the "living legends" at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends at Rickenbacker Field in Columbus, Ohio, last year.

"Don’s contribution to the museum cannot be overstated," museum director Gen. J.R. "Jack" Dailey said. "For 35 years, he was the guiding spirit, contributing his vast knowledge of aviation, exceptional leadership skills, unflagging enthusiasm, and a sense of humor that endeared him to all."
http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/pressroom/releaseDetail.cfm?releaseID=185

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Mrs. Reno Kid got to know Mr. Lopez a few years ago when she worked at the Air & Space Museum. She says he was a wonderful man. He wrote her a very nice letter of recommendation when we left Virginia.

There's a P-40 (Lope's Hope) hanging in the Udvar-Hazy center (A&S annex at Dulles) painted to look like the one that Mr. Lopez flew when he was with the Flying tigers. Here's a link to a memorial page at the Air & Space Museum.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Back in the mid '90s I volunteered at the NASM. I remember Don as a very nice, approachable guy. I wish I would have had more time to talk with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points