WWII British Uniforms Guide: Royal Navy

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Cobden, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Slobo

Slobo New in Town

...and here's one in No.3s w- sub sweaters. No creases but I just love this photo (note the split under the arm of the rating at left from hard service). Coastal Forces MTB -- Coastal also had a thing for the white sweater.
    RN Ratings -- No.3 blue serge trousers and caps w- white sub sweaters.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Ticklishchap likes this.
  2. Slobo

Slobo New in Town

"Blue" socks or "black" for ratings in white shorts? Also, did ratings white shorts differ in their specs form officer white shorts? I am familiar with RN white shorts that have two attached cloth belts with white metal buckles, vertical side pockets at side seams, no rear pockets. Were these particular to officers, ratings, or both?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  3. woolding

woolding New in Town

Does anyone know where I can obtain a RN Jersey Seaman's size 4 made by Turner and Jarvis Ltd NATO Stock No 8405-99-571-2811. Good price paid for one in good condition.

4. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

Let me know if you discover anything. I shall look out as well and if I find anything I'll tell you.

5. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Practically Family

I think that rating needs to get his darning kit out and sew that up. :)

6. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

There's something curiously comforting about wearing a very old sweater even with a few holes - but not as big a hole as that one! My sub sweater from Silvermans is quite ancient I have to say and needs darning in a couple of places.

7. Ben Langworthy

Ben Langworthy New in Town

I recently got this jacket cheap and was wandering if someone could shed any light on it as its a little different from those i've come across in the past.

I'm not sure what service this is so apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place!
    It's definitely British as the label is stamped with the broad arrow but other than that its got me stumped. Possibly Naval,R.A.F or civil defence?

The cut is a little reminiscent of battledress however there are no pleats on the back. There are also no external pockets or epaulettes. It's true that these could have been removed however if this were the case I would expect to see evidence of this such as stitch holes etc of which there are none. there are also reinforcements to the elbows.

any ideas?

s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg