Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Cooking?

appy

Familiar Face
I'm looking for a site with a collection - not just a smattering, but is specifically dedicated to - the WWII kitchen. So far, all I'm finding is info. on a particular cook book. I have no interest in making a purchase at this time, as I'd rather find a free site instead. Anyone know of a good place online (besides AllRecipes, etc.) for authentic recipes?

Thanks! :)

Marla

A-List Customer
Well, if you decide to make a purchase, I come across WWII cook books at antique stores regularly. Perhaps you'll have the same luck where you live. I don't think Golden Era cookbooks are hard to come by at all, and there are many on ebay.

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
WWII Italian Food

Hi,

My mom and Dad were in a small town in Naples Italy during the war.

For the entire war, any food at all was hard to come by. But there was one period during the war when they had nothing to eat but boiled potatoes, with no oil and no salt, for the better part of a year. And in Rome they ate cats.

Bon Appetite,
Tony

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Ministry of Food

Try the local library for books but research them on Amazon, etc to see what you would like.

I have just borrowed the "Ministry of Food: Thrifty Wartime Ways to Feed Your Family Today" by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall (ISBN-13: 978-1444700350) from my local library, I did not want to commit to buying another book that may have been no good.

For a site try this, you could always email and ask if they have any good suggestions.

http://www.welleatagain.co.uk/

Kind regards

appy

Familiar Face
Mr. Godfrey said:
Try the local library for books but research them on Amazon, etc to see what you would like.

I have just borrowed the "Ministry of Food: Thrifty Wartime Ways to Feed Your Family Today" by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall (ISBN-13: 978-1444700350) from my local library, I did not want to commit to buying another book that may have been no good.

For a site try this, you could always email and ask if they have any good suggestions.

http://www.welleatagain.co.uk/

Kind regards

Very nice. Thank you very much! :D

appy

Familiar Face
LocktownDog said:
Oh man ... now I'm really craving rabbit stew and fresh-baked loaf of bread! :eek:

IDK if I could ever bring myself to eat rabbit, unless it was a survival type thing... lol Needless to say, I've never tried it.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
In the depression and during WW2, my grandfather and a couple of neighbors would go hunting and get 2 or 3 deer. They would then divide up the meat and share it with other neighbors. My grandfather had one of the few freezers around, so they would have meat for months. This was particularly popular during the war with the meat rationing.

Doug

appy

Familiar Face
Atomic Age said:
In the depression and during WW2, my grandfather and a couple of neighbors would go hunting and get 2 or 3 deer. They would then divide up the meat and share it with other neighbors. My grandfather had one of the few freezers around, so they would have meat for months. This was particularly popular during the war with the meat rationing.

Doug

I grew up in a rather poor family, and we just about survived on venison and fish (mostly venison). I remember we even had dove one night. It's extremely dark meat, and small, but very good.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
appy said:
I grew up in a rather poor family, and we just about survived on venison and fish (mostly venison). I remember we even had dove one night. It's extremely dark meat, and small, but very good.

Isn't it funny how things seem so different depending on geography, and circumstance!

Surviving on a diet of venison = a diet of King's (literally in the 16th Century and figuratively, nowadays ) - but if you lived somewhere rural with plentiful deer I can see how it could become repetitive and get boring... still, I wish I had that problem at least for a little while!

Appy, you should give rabbit a try - it's delicious, low fat, very versatile and cheap - and doesn't taste at all like chicken! It tastes like rabbit. You can joint it, fillet it, mince it..... or your butcher can if you don't fancy getting too up close and personal with it! ;) Cooking is equally easy, you can stew it, roast it, pan fry it, grill or barbecue it!

Damn, I wish I didn't live in London and could easily bag a brace for dinner tomorrow! :eusa_doh:

Speedbird

A-List Customer
LOL - yes "braces" are another name for "suspenders" as long as you are talking about things that hold up your trousers - or pants in the US. Of course suspenders in the UK often refers to "garters" - the sexy things girls wear to hold up stockings -or possibly gentlemen use to hold up socks.....

Braces are also the metal work that sorts out teeth...

My use of 'brace' is to mean a pair ... two ...

I swear I have this problem in the lounge all the time - the divided by a common language problem ... I get really confused all the time!

One classic example is the US members talk about "dress shirts" all the time - at first I thought they were talking about the type of shirt you wear with a DJ ... eventually I figured out in the US you have casual, dress, and evening/formal wear .... my dress shirt is my evening/formal wear shirt. :eusa_doh:

Anyway a brace of rabbits, a brace of pheasants, means two....

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Here's a brace of pheasants
jbrownbraceofpheasants.jpg

From Wartime Britain

The ever popular...

Spam Fritters! :D

12 ounces Spam
Oil, for frying or deep frying
Scallion Mash, to serve
Chopped herbs, to garnish

Batter:
1 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk, milk and water, or water or beer

1) Mix together the batter ingredients in a bowl. The mixture should be thick, in the proportions given above, in order to coat the Spam well. Cut the Spam into 8 slices.

2) Meanwhile, heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a frying pan or wok or heat a depth of oil in a deep-fryer to 340 degrees Fahrenheit or until a cube of day-old bread turns golden in one mihute.

3) Coat the Spam slices once or twice with the batter then drop them into the hot oil. If shallow frying, allow 2-3 minutes on each side; if deep-frying allow a cooking time 3-4 minutes turning over the fritters as required. Drain on paper towels , garnish with fresh herbs and serve with scallion mash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points