Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What headwear would you wear with your khaki's an A-2?

The beaten up 40 mission crusher hat? or the sharp lined Garrison (overseas) hat?

Also..your preference of jacket? short waised Ike, or traditional 4 pocket No.2 dress jacket for walking out...? decisions, decisions (what's a well dressed officer to wear!).

Just a bit of fun guys, but interesting to find out what individuals prefer...and why!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
PADDY, I can tell you I am a hardcore crusher type officer. I have a few garrison caps but I just love the look of a good crusher on my head, it is the image I get in my head when I think of an AAF pilot.

schwammy

Familiar Face
I was enlisted, rather than an officer. We were issued 'bus driver caps,' as we called 'em, and wore them once - for our basic training photo. After that, they never saw use again due to their bulk and the strictness of AFR 35-10, which required them to be worn in a very specific, boring manner. If we could have gotten away with removing the stiffening ring and cocking them sideways like they used to, it might have been different. But worn as proscribed, they had an incredible dork factor. Of course, this was in 1989, so they were a far cry from the cool ones of WWII. Black plastic had replaced the brown leather bill, and blue polyester had replaced the olive drab wool or khaki cotton. Everyone wore the other caps, for which we had another nickname which, out of delicacy, I shall not repeat.

STHill

One of the Regulars
Was it called a "p!sscutter"? I seem to recall my ex-Marine dad referring to them that way. Sorry, boss, if I'm out of line. Sometimes I'm not as well-mannered as I should be.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Crusher or O.S.

Well, I would have to say when I wear my four pocket tunic I ware a crusher! Although I do have the O.S. (Over Seas) cap that is original to the tunic I have. But I have not the cap device for it yet. I do have a custom "IKE" Officer?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s tunic that once was a four pocket. It's very sharp but I need to lose some weight before I ware it again. :D

There have been many names that the O.S. cap has been called. My Grandfather who served in the mighty 8th called them "Go to hell" hats. P***Cutter was also a popular one as well. Remember, our fighting boys never really had the cleanest manners no matter what time frame.

When I end up getting an A-2 I'll ware it with my chocolate shirt and tan tie with my Pink pants. And, a crusher to top it off!

Regards :cool2:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the perfect look for finding that lost ark! Or, a lost Pharos?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s tomb. I would say that Indy had the best look for an Archeologist.

I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t think an AAF Officer would get away with a felt fedora with his Pinks and Greens though.:D

Regards.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, today one could do it, but during the war it didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t happen. Fedoras weren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t standard issue you know. An Officer would be demoted if he was spotted sporting a slick lid. Civilian articles of apparel were left home and picked right up after the war. :D

Regards:)

Chamorro

A-List Customer
There was a time when the U.S. Armed Forces considered the beret too "European." It was a sad, sad day when the Army did away with its service and garrison caps and adopted the black beret.

Berets always looked goofy to me. The Special Forces guys got away with it because they were so bad-ass, no one would say anything to their face.

Speaking from personal experience, they are damn uncomfortable. Way too hot and impractical for marching. They are made of wool. Who wears a stocking cap to the beach? You are dripping sweat before too long even on a cool day.

Besides they are FRENCH! Why would the American Military adopt such sissy, Frog headgear?

It boggles the mind.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My take....

Woah Chamarro, don't hold back!:p

I have also been forced to wear a "stupid" hat at work. It is a "Smokey The Bear" hat.

I look like the little bear that was the tube of toopaste from my childhoodLOL

I believe the best UNIFORM hat, be it a Fireman (not when the fire helmet is needed), Police Officer, or Military Personnel,...the "Pilot Cap" , the 50 mission, the LAPD Cap...looks the best.

There was a time, and evidenced in the old movies, where the repairman, the milk man, whoever..all wore the seven point hat with brim, the taxi driver hat, the bus driver hat.

Despite the adversion to this style, I believe it is something missing in our society today, where we see a "look" that becomes the classic.

Sorry for getting off topic, but I love the pilot type cap. There are numerous styles available at the Lancaster Hat CO. which has been in business for years.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
60.jpg

I've always been the crusher type.

Wild Root

Gone Home
OH MY GOSH!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

That is such a good photo of you! It is you, isn't it?

I am a crusher man my self! Such a hansom and heroic look!

Andy, I agree with you on the 7 point caps! I wish our law enforcement still wore those. I wish we still had milk men! And those black bow ties really set off the whole look just right!

I know most of you have seen this photo of me, but here's a good one I like of me in my Four Pocket and Crusher.

Cheers.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Thanks, Wild Root. Lookin' sharp, yourself.

AndyKev, funny you should mention Lancaster - that crusher I'm wearing in the photo is a Lancaster repro. I traded it with a rather generous fellow for a vintage equvalent, we're both quite happy.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I get most of my repro gear from Garcia Aviation. Garcia's repro crusher was a Lancaster private contract for Garcia, and says so on the liner. Top notch service, and a great site & catalog. You'll find the crusher listed under the Flight Helmets and Accesories section.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey yeah boy! That's a good site. I liked that they have some original flight helmets from WWII! Yeah, they're not giving them away, but not to bad though. I have seen those go for more!

That crusher looks very good for a repop! Mine is original but needs the WWII cap emblem. The one it came with is an early one from I would say the 30's. So, next step is to get the correct cap device and I'll be set!

WWII was a war of style and now? Well, style really isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t that important. :cry:

Polyester was the worse invention that ever hit the fabric world!!! It has gone down hill ever since.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Thanks a ton for the info Wingnut, great place, wonderful prices too. Well since you have a good amount of their gear, lets hear some ratings, starting with the crusher, how high would you rate it on quality and accuracy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points