Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII P40 Kittyhawk found in Sahara

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
583934-5c5d6a90-5624-11e3-ba26-b7fc4856beca.jpg

Polish oil worker finds Kittyhawk untouched for 70 years.
British Flight Sergeant Dennis Copling was tasked with what seemed to be a routine mission - returning a damaged P-40 Kittyhawk fighter to an Egyptian repair base safely behind friendly lines.
He was never seen again.
584726-5a754536-5624-11e3-ba26-b7fc4856beca.jpg

Flight Sgt Dennis Copling
click for whole story
http://www.news.com.au/technology/a-world-war-ii-kittyhawk-fighter-has-been-recovered-largely-intact-from-the-sahara-desert/story-e6frfrnr-1226768584753

Last edited:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Any news on they are going to do with the old bird? It would be nice to see her on display somewhere!

Unrest in Egypt doesnt make it easy:
The yearlong struggle to recover the fighter unfolded amid Egypt's tumultuous civil unrest which has seen many museums and archaeological sites looted and destroyed.
The Kittyhawk has - at last - emerged the victor.
Now, the relic has been recovered and is safely tucked away in a secure hangar. Aviation enthusiasts have declared the find as significant as Tutankhamun's tomb for its untouched quality.
The Royal Air Force Museum is in the midst of negotiating through the British Embassy in Cairo the return of the iconic fighter to become a central feature of its London display.

One Bullet Barney

New in Town
OOPS! Sorry! I missed the bottom of the article! Must have been distracted by my good friend Jack Daniels! We were sharing a few Cokes!

It would be nice if the RAF gets her home!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk