Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Photos - Taken / Collected by Family Members

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I've checked a lot of the WWII threads, but I have yet to see one which simply invites members to post WWII photos taken or collected by family members who were in the war. (There is a thread where members can post photos of their family members, but not one dedicated to any WWII photos that your family has come into possession of.) If that is the case, I'm starting this one, where members can can bring to light those pictures which, perhaps, have been languishing in albums for six decades and have never been seen by the general public. (If such a thread already exists, bartenders, you know the routine.;) ) I'll start off...

I'm making this an attachment simply because it comes out larger that way (I tried to enlarge it for a direct post, but it won't accomodate me :mad: ). This is from my father's collection, and is not dated or titled. Dad (who is not in the photo) was an Infantryman/Scout with the 17th Infantry, 7th Infantry Division, USA, and was at Attu, Kiska, Kwajalein, Leyte, Okinawa, and Korea, but for all I know this could be in Hawaii. The back does say COLOR PRINTS Inc. 1711 No. Vermont Ave. Hollywood 27 Calif, and has a re-order number, but that's all. (I'm going to skip by Hollywood and see what business is located at that address these days.)

CCF07102009_00003-1.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Japanese Imperial Navy

The next one is of the enemy. I'm again posting it as a link, so that members can get a better look at it. My father found this somewhere on the Marshall Islands (likely Kwajelein) and it reads on the back in his writing: Japanese Navy Ground Crew From Marshall Island (sic). It is stamped, in a red circle: EXAMINED IN THE FIELD, PASSED BY JOINT INTELLIGENCE. The date appears to be Feb 8 1944, and three letters/numbers appear below this. Notice how the unit patches appear to be temporarily attached to two of the men in the front, and also take note of the potted plants on the balcony bannister.

CCF07102009_00002.jpg

murena

One of the Regulars
here some pictures from my grandfather. he served in the german army at the 131.Infanterie Regiment, 44. Inf. Division "Hoch und Deutschmeister".
he had to enlist 1938 and fought till 1945.

opacollagespezial1.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Story

I'll Lock Up
murena said:
here some pictures from my grandfather. he served in the german army at the 131.Infanterie Regiment, 44. Inf. Division "Hoch und Deutschmeister".
he had to enlist 1938 and fought till 1945.

Woah - he survived Stalingrad???

murena

One of the Regulars
hey story,

i see you did your homework. yes he did. my grandfather had much luck. he was two times wounded, once in france (about 1940) and then in russia (about 1942). 8 weeks after he had to enlist, his regiment must invade in Sudetenland. then he was in poland, next was france and after that he must went to russia. he and a second soldier came out of russia, they lost every comrads from theyr unit (about 80 men)!!! after his recovery in 1943 he had to train young "Gebirgsjäger" soldiers as a ski instructor in Tirol (austria). finally he had also to fight against the red army, which attacked vienna (this was very hard because they hadn´t much ammo,or something to eat, or support by tanks or havy weapons. they had to fight against russian tanks only with grenades or panzerfausts. his last rank was Feldwebel (Unteroffizier), it´s the highest level without military academy!

so, i hope i hadn´t bored you with the storys from my grandfather.

i am also very interested of some stories from other veterans, please tell us a little.

Philipp

Story

I'll Lock Up
murena said:
so, i hope i hadn´t bored you with the storys from my grandfather.

i am also very interested of some stories from other veterans, please tell us a little.

Philipp

Philipp,
Thanks for sharing - not a bore at all!
I was my friend Max was still alive - he was Kriegsmarine from 1939 to 1945, serving on R-boats for almost the entire period and having enough adventures to write a book ( a draft form does exist). I'm glad I got to sit and here his sea stories before he passed.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Your grandfather had a fascinating history, Murena. Thank you for sharing it with us.

My own grandfather was in the British Royal Field Artillery in WW1 and was at the first three Battles of Ypres (including both Battles of Passchendaele). He missed the fourth and fifth because he was transfered to the Italian front in 1917 where he fought with Cavan's Tenth Army in support of the Italian 12th Army (under Graziani) against the Austro-Hungarian forces (sorry!) at Vittorio Veneto.

I still use his binoculars for bird watching!

hattrick

New in Town
My grandfather's pictures from WWII.

2523348476_12e8d75cbb.jpg

2522529437_ca1057d34c.jpg

2522529863_283cba31ce_b.jpg

2522529065_df30641fed_b.jpg

This is my grandfather (without helmet) standing next to his truck. Reverse side of this picture reads: "This is my truck that we are standing by.; Taken in Pilsen; Checkoslovakia. These are displaced persons we were taking home from Germany."

Without question, this is my favorite photo in this set. To know that my grandfather helped bring back displaced people back to their home after the war makes me happy.

2523352662_060ab4c9a3_b.jpg

My grandfather had a sense of humor. Here he took a photo of his first sergeant "taking care of business".

2523350422_6b6245490f_b.jpg

My grandfather - back row, far right. :D

Gene

Practically Family
My grandfather was Flight Officer David "Gene" Filer, Glider Pilot with the 315th Troop Carrier Group, 34th Troop Carrier Squadron. I was fortunate enough to inherit all of his wartime possessions he had left for me, including several photographs.

2942739796_b7dbd4ebaa.jpg

3252881623_82eb398359.jpg

Still green, in basic glider training.

2927710505_3728d53fd0_o.jpg

Somewhere in England.

2980686702_5e84ba0cc6_o.jpg

In his A-2 jacket.

3003359570_981b581f71.jpg

Pastel in July 1945.

Gene

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a couple of my Uncle Ed in Guadalcanal 1942

ColEJBuckleyandPappyMoran.jpg
ColEJBuckleyandEdna.jpg

One of the sequences of this photoshoot can be found in Martin Clemens' book "Alone On Guadalcanal".
Col E J Buckley (rear, with glasses) was the USMC intelligence officer and 'Pappy' Moran was the interpreter.
Here they work together on a Japanese prisoner.

... and after the cease of hostilities, back at home with Aunt Edna, 1945.

-dixon cannon

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
ColEJBuckleyandPappyMoran.jpg
ColEJBuckleyandEdna.jpg

One of the sequences of this photoshoot can be found in Martin Clemens' book "Alone On Guadalcanal".
Col E J Buckley (rear, with glasses) was the USMC intelligence officer and 'Pappy' Moran was the interpreter.
Here they work together on a Japanese prisoner.

... and after the cease of hostilities, back at home with Aunt Edna, 1945.

-dixon cannon

A Japanese POW? That's almost a contradiction of terms! Great photos.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Here's one of my dad, he was a combat engineer. I am waiting for his service records since I don't know what all the decorations are for.

3767923712_06f10ebdee.jpg

murena

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion said:
Here's one of my dad, he was a combat engineer. I am waiting for his service records since I don't know what all the decorations are for.

3767923712_06f10ebdee.jpg

Tourbillion, the picture from your dad looks very good. all the decorations near the picture are original or only as a decoration? how long did he stood in the army?

murena

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21