Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII US Army and USAAF Dress Uniforms - Shirts and Ties

cco23i

A-List Customer
Which shirt are you looking for? I only saw the cotton style at Magnolia and if you are wanting the officers dress wool chocolate shirt I would go with what price glory.

Scott

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
"Chocolate" seems to be the common parlance name for the dark brownish green colour seen in Pinks and Greens tunics, elastique service caps and shirts. It's a misnomer, it's not the colour of any chocolate I've eaten.lol
I'm looking for a dark olive drab colour shirt with the right sort of collar profile, but not necessarily in authentic woollen cloth that I can wear for 1940's shows, etc. Hence, it doesn't have to be 100% right but better than simply wearing a modern British Army olive shirt or one of the dreadful Pakistani-made repro WW2 US officers shirts that are available over here. They really are dark brown - but also very yucky.
For obvious reasons, I don't want something too pricey given my intended purpose. Hence, I'm asking for suggestions, please.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Wool isn't bad when it's done right. The real nice repro wool shirts are more comfortable then cotton. Same goes for pants. I have some original tropical weight wool trousers that I wore recently to a wedding. They were cooler and more comfortable then my linen shirt.

Matt

Edward

Bartender
Have you looked at www.sofmilitary.co.uk? Their option is likely to be the same shirt as What Price Glory, but much closer to home. I don't have one of the shirts, but a while back I bought one of the KD officer safari jackets, and am very pleased with it. It arrived with a What Price Glory label on it.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Here's what I'm wearing to shows and hangar dances at the moment.
The cap is an original crusher (belonged to a Flight Surgeon in the 15th AAF) but the tunic is "modified" Dutch Army (until I can find an original in 42R). The shirt is some sort of tropical cotton job that I got at the local surplus store; there's no label in it but I don't think it's of British or US origin.
I'd like a cheapish dark olive shirt because it would look better than this Khaki one.

th_PinksandGreens.jpg

(Sorry, I can't work out how to make this pic any bigger)

Edward

Bartender
Old Fogey UK said:
Edward,
I think the SOF shirts are the Pakistani ones that I can get in the surplus shop in Portsmouth. At least the SOF catalogue illustration suggests that to me, although I may be wrong.

How do they compare in price to the SoF offering? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find a decent Surplus store here - since Camden Council tried to turn Camden into a mini-me Covent Garden for the tourists, all the greta places I used to use there are gone, repalced by cheap "art" and smelly candles! :rage:

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Edward,
The shirts are in Sabre Supplies, Castle Street, Portsmouth. A strange establishment with a quirky pricing structure. My old pal Barry Ryan of Platoon (in Bury now, I think) always has a ood stock of stuff.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I mentioned this in the other thread. I've already lost about 13 pounds and have 57 more to go. Then I'll even get into my old Ike jacket as well as my pinks and greens. I just hope this thread holds out so I can get my pics in. ;)

Bingo

New in Town
I got my shirt from Spearhead militaria (look on ebay).
It's well made and I'm very happy with it.
It looks great worn with the A1 Jacket.

polocoat

One of the Regulars
"Pinks," Anything New ????

Anyone have any current comments about "pinks" shirts, pants, etc.? Reading through all of the posts I found no repro maker (not even Eastman) make a true "pink" product. Has that changed since 2009?

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
They come close but not close enough. I would love to have seen what the color of a brannd new set of pinks instead of one that was worn and cleaned a number of times. I'm thinking that's the key to the authentic look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana