Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII US Army officer shoes repros?

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
From The Officers Guide 1941 pg 148 Foot Gear
The adopted shade of all leather in clothing and articles of equipment except as noted is known as "Army Russet" (par 27 AR 600-40)

Shoes Commercial pattern, High or low, Army russet leather, Low shoes may be worn with plain tan or brown socks.

This leaves the officer with a wide choice of shoes including the type 1 service shoe. Then as now all depends on what your C.O. tells you to wear. Any smooth toe laced shoe in the correct color would do.

Last edited:

Baggers

Practically Family
Bigshoe is correct. Officers were permitted a bit of latitude regarding styles. While the majority went with lace oxfords, some wore monk straps, chukkas, or even ankle height jodphur boots. As long as they were plain toe and a shade of russet that matched your other leather equipment and cap visor, you were good to go.

As for the WPG shoes being too glossy for your taste, you need to understand an army officer's image. Well polished footwear was mandatory. An officer needed to look professional and well polished leather, properly shined buttons and insignia, along with clean and properly pressed uniforms were a daily requirement. The officer set the standard for his men and anything less was unacceptable.

Weston

A-List Customer
A few years ago a bunch of us on the Lounge got some Bates shoes in brown for $20 delivered. They were decent shoes - and the supplier you want to look for if you want something the military would use. Don't know if they still make em, but it's what the army would use today if they wore brown shoes.

Baggers

Practically Family
Weren't they the ones offered by Copshoes? I think I bought a pair of those and they were fine for the money. I ended up buying the ones from WPG though and have been very happy with them. Unfortunately, the Bates shoes were a while back, and the original poster is in Hungary, so he might prefer something EU sourced.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
WWII Impression is developing some. I don't know whether or not you are in a hurry, but they look fairly nice.
oxford1.JPG

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
My father was enlisted in the AAF, but he wore the monk strap shoes. When I started doing APS living history I found a pair that looked similar to his in the right shade from a dance clothing and shoes catalog. Dont remember the name of the catalog at this time.

=GG=

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've seen the Buzz Ricksons that Scott has (and Matt Deckard too), and they are lovely and a fine construction that you could wear at any time.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
What Price Glory Officer Shoes

Her are a few pics of the WPG shoes compared to an original July 1945 pair.

I have replaced the shoes laces on the WPG shoes which appear below the 1945's.

I received the WPG shoes a few days ago and they are a bit squeaky.

Shoes-Box.jpg

Shoes-1.jpg

Shoes-2.jpg

Shoes-3.jpg

Shoes-5.jpg

Shoes-4.jpg

John

Baggers

Practically Family
Good looking pair of WPG low quarters. I know I've enjoyed mine since I got them a couple of years back. They're my go-to pair whenever I need brown dress shoes, whatever the occasion. It's also nice to see the side by side comparison with a pair of originals.

filfoster

One Too Many
Good looking pair of WPG low quarters. I know I've enjoyed mine since I got them a couple of years back. They're my go-to pair whenever I need brown dress shoes, whatever the occasion. It's also nice to see the side by side comparison with a pair of originals.

How did the size run? Larger. smaller? Wide? Most of Jerry's footwear is E width.
I got a pair of USMC boondockers, The Pacific left-overs and he sent the appropriate, size adjusted pair but we emailed before I ordered them. I wouild like to get a pair of these low quarter officer shoes too.

Last edited:

Baggers

Practically Family
How did the size run? Larger. smaller? Wide? Most of Jerry's footwear is E width.
I got a pair of USMC boondockers, The Pacific left-overs and he sent the appropriate, size adjusted pair but we emailed before I ordered them. I wouild like to get a pair of these low quarter officer shoes too.

I'd say true to size. I wear a D width and the size 12 he sent fit perfectly. Of course, it's been a couple of years and he could have adjusted sizing in a subsequent run, but mine fit like a glove with thin-ish dress socks.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I bring you the Decatur plain toe from Johnston and Murphy. There may not be enough holes for the long laces we desire... and yes there is something to that look of rows of holes, but this shoe will have to do. What it has against it it makes up for in comfort.

And the last is pretty darn good with that 'lots of toe room' design.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1619&sc=1619&sid=Features&pid=93872

206782_master

Oh... and if you are a swing dancer, they are great for doing heel slides. Ultimately a good shoe for walking and dancing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points