Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII US War Correspondent Collection / Impression

p51

One Too Many
WW2 US War Correspondent collection/impression
Hello all, just joined this forum, pretty neat stuff! I have a lot of other US 1940s and WW2 stuff, but my War Correspondent collection is something I'm pretty proud of as most people don't collect this. These are only a few photos, as I have a lot of items I haven't documented yet:
WarCoLee.jpg

My ETO Class A impression:
WarCoClassA.jpg

WarCoClassAStand.jpg

Displays:
WarCoPuy08.jpg

auburn06.jpg

My typewriters and original manuals:
ThreeMachines.jpg

I have more stuff than this that I haven't gotten good photos of, like most of my paperwork, as I have several original photographs, letters and even a few original ID cards from correspondents. I'm also the Western US coordinator of the international WW2 correspondent re-enactor group.
I'd also scan in some items from my substantial Bill Maudlin collection, but there's too much to fit into a few photos. If you've ever seen the show Mail Call where they talk about Bill Mauldin, I'm the guy there discussing his life. I've written and consulted a lot on his works over the past few years.
So, why a correspondent? Well, I grew up doing Civil war re-enacting and got into WW2 in the late 80s. I used to do displays and re-enacting of the usual Paratrooper (82nd, thank you very much!) and leg infantry stuff you see everyone else doing. I still have a very impressive collection of "killing stuff," and all that, but I guess I got tired of lugging it around, especially when most folks have all the same stuff anyway. It's really funny when I display stuff and some knucklehead comes up to the one of the other guys (or gals) in the group and accuses me of being a pacifist or something or someone who didn't feel worthy to dress like "a real soldier." They're always reminded I was an active duty Army Captain in real life, unlike most of the other people in the group dressed like the 'killers' who never served in real life. That always shuts 'em up! lol
My main impression is made to look like AP artist Howell Dodd who was in the 30s and reasonably similar looking to me (but a little thinner though). In searching through the site I have seen some familiar faces as people into Correspondent stuff is a small community.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Very cool stuff. As a reenactor myself, it's always neat to see other people's impressions, especially one as unique as this. Impressive, well researched.
Do I remember you seeing you over at the WW2 reenactor's forum?

Cheers!

p51

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Do I remember you seeing you over at the WW2 reenactor's forum?
Probably. I wasn't one of the "inner circle" so someone started deleting my posts on typewriters and such as apparently someone was ticked that my stuff was better than theirs or something equally childish. I baled from that forum and it was one of the smartest things I ever did...

dr greg

One Too Many
It's really funny when I display stuff and some knucklehead comes up to the one of the other guys (or gals) in the group and accuses me of being a pacifist or something or someone who didn't feel worthy to dress like "a real soldier." They're always reminded I was an active duty Army Captain in real life, unlike most of the other people in the group dressed like the 'killers' who never served in real life.
Interesting, most of the stuff I've read about correspondents and photographers gave the impression your average grunt, or Tommy, or whatever, admired their courage because unlike the PBI, they CHOSE to be there.

Story

I'll Lock Up
helenpop said:
I am searching for any current information about the AP World War artist/correspondent Howell Dodd.
I am especially interested to find out in which books about World War II include his illustrations.
I have a large collection of his WW II original artwork but cannot find it reproduced in any books about World War II.

Howell Dodd is apparently still alive and his stuff is great! :D
79.jpg

http://www.americanartarchives.com/dodd.htm
http://www.artnet.com/artist/700083/howell-dodd.html

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Great collection / impression

Seeing those typewriters always reminds me of the Normandy scene in Saving Private Ryan between Upham and Miller:

"Sir, may l...

May l bring my typewriter, sir?

[Miller holds up a pencil with a slight smirk]

Yes, sir.

Thank you very much, sir."

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Very Awesome!

Very Awesome Collection P51, I love the typewriter collection! Something about the clickity-clack of them that is just so awesome! From one reenactor to another Great looking impression, I've been thinking of doing a combat photographer impression, I'll be getting period correct camera soon and I have a line on film, it shouldn't be that hard to put together. What model camera do you carry?

p51

One Too Many
GranadaGuy617 said:
Very Awesome Collection P51, I love the typewriter collection! Something about the clickity-clack of them that is just so awesome! From one reenactor to another Great looking impression, I've been thinking of doing a combat photographer impression, I'll be getting period correct camera soon and I have a line on film, it shouldn't be that hard to put together. What model camera do you carry?
My primary impression for re-enacting is either that of a news reporter or a war artist. I’m not really into period photography. I do own an Argus Brick and have a Kodak military 35MM on the way, but I don’t really venture into the photography aspect. I do, however, cover events for various publications, and use a modern digital camera for that.
Story said:
Howell Dodd is apparently still alive and his stuff is great!
Sadly, no, he’s not. He passed away a few years ago. I never got to meet him but have talked with people who had. He was very aware that people knew of his work in WW2 which I’m told made him very happy.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Sheesh, how did I miss this thread?

I'm doing lots of research on war correspondents - specifically the combat artists that were in the war. The best resource I've found so far, though, is They Drew Fire, a book that is a companion to a documentary of the same name that PBS produced in 2000.

LIFE magazine also had a combat artist program and I ordered a copy of the April 30, 1945, edition of LIFE because they had 24 pages of LIFE's war artists' work.

However, when I turned to page 42, I noticed there were over 20 pages missing - exactly the stuff I was looking for, too. I contacted the seller and hopefully he/she has another copy!

p51

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
I'm doing lots of research on war correspondents - specifically the combat artists that were in the war. The best resource I've found so far, though, is They Drew Fire, a book that is a companion to a documentary of the same name that PBS produced in 2000.
LIFE magazine also had a combat artist program and I ordered a copy of the April 30, 1945, edition of LIFE because they had 24 pages of LIFE's war artists' work.
However, when I turned to page 42, I noticed there were over 20 pages missing - exactly the stuff I was looking for, too. I contacted the seller and hopefully he/she has another copy!
I hope you find a copy. It's a decent article but not the end-all you may be looking for.
As for me, I just saw this book at the USMC Museum at Quantico the other day (was on the East Coast on business last week):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1603440089/ref=s9_wish_gw_ir02?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3A26JOJQVWZGV&colid=2WHSO88P0TKH4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=016Q63C9KNVWCFAZRBYD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
It's a very good book!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I just ordered another copy of that magazine. I'm really interested to see the artwork.

In the future, I may be picking your brain for some research if you don't mind! :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
p51 said:
I hope you find a copy. It's a decent article but not the end-all you may be looking for.
As for me, I just saw this book at the USMC Museum at Quantico the other day (was on the East Coast on business last week):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1603440089/ref=s9_wish_gw_ir02?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3A26JOJQVWZGV&colid=2WHSO88P0TKH4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=016Q63C9KNVWCFAZRBYD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
It's a very good book!

Strangely enough, I just put this on interlibrary loan this week! Ed Reep, another war artist, also has an autobiography out that I'm trying to get, too.

p51

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
In the future, I may be picking your brain for some research if you don't mind! :)
You're welcome to do so, as is anyone else on the subject.
Except, of course, to document someone's latest find. This week someone was "kind" enough to let me know a correspondent item he'd asked me a lot of questions about was now on epay and that I could bid if I want. I wasn't happy about that as I'd asked him to offer it to me if he ever tired of it. I now no longer offer my services for this...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Art in the Face of War

AmateisGal said:
Sheesh, how did I miss this thread?

Have you seen this site:
http://www.artinthefaceofwar.com/

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Never quite been the reenactor type. I always skip wearing the uniform when it comes to events and go for the look of the madman roaming around in a suit. I was lucky enough to have a friend of mine take me to my first battle a few months back where I donned the uniform of a German foot soldier. Man am I out of shape. Luckily I was military police most of the time and me being me, left the shooting to those that are there for the battle part of the reenactment. My brother is keen on guns, My father has seen war, though me... I'm not really into taking one up unless I really need to. I shoot now and again yet when it comes to reenacting and wearing a uniform I think I'll head for the war correspondent route for playing US. Read the book slightly out of Focus by Robert Cappa. Grueling story that Mr. Bern turned me onto about a correspondent that goes from battle to battle just to get some great photos. He's lucky though, he had the choice to leave the battlefield whenever he wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ