Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XXXX Stetson Hat Collection and Smoke Smell removal?

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
XXXX Stetson Hat Collection and Smoke Smell removal?

My friend has gotten his Uncles Hat Collection 17 hats; Stetson XXXX, from fedora, to bowler hats, to cowboy. most in boxes and 7 1/4 sizing I believe. I told him this is something to celebrate for sure!

Problem though; from a smokers home...what is the best tip for restoring these from the smell...

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
For smoke smell, I get a box of Baking soda. I get a box designed for the fridge with the removable panel and mesh to hold it in. I put the hat in a cardboard box and put the baking soda in a corner and close the lid. I leave it there for a few days. Then I replace the soda with a couple fabric softner sheets. after that, I let the hat air out in the house. I've done thif for three hats so far, with very good results. Usually about a week, all together. Don't let the soda or softener sheets come in contact with the hat. regards, F_M

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Best luck I've had with getting out such a smell is leaving the hats in the open air for a few days. Open air and sunlight.

I agree that exposing the hats to the open air is the single best thing to do. Crumpled paper and unscented baking soda can also help. Try these in any combination (along with a good brushing).

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
The absolute best way for getting rid of the smell is to send all of them to me! :D There is simply no reason for him to suffer with all of those hats.......... I say this as a concerned FL'er, of course.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think this may work as well as anything else, get a small paper bag, dump some fresh ground vanilla bean coffee grounds into the small paper bag, place the hat inside a large plastic bag with the small paper bag, twist tie the plastic bag closed, but not mushed down on the hat. Coffee grounds that are dry and unused have a great ability to not only give off a pleasant aroma, but absorb moisture and odors as well. I did this for a car I purchased from a smoker many years ago, sprinkled vanilla coffee grounds on the carpet with the windows rolled up in warm weather. It helped greatly and I got a nice response from everyone that loves "starbucks" too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112