Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Y'2 Leathers

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
We're all just playing dress up and should be more honest about that. This isn't a dig at you, just something I thought about because a lot of people who bring up your points about flat seems and shiny heels act like they really need the heaviest duty stuff to sit at a desk all day.
I'm definitively playing dress up and I know it, I'm wearing my workwear when going to my office job lol.

I also admit that I don't need the heaviest duty gear for commuting to the office.

But the reason why I wear (mostly vintage) workwear is not because I need heavy duty gear, it's because it has a certain esthetic. Old school construction techniques are part of that esthetic, as are wide upper sleeves and chest.

Some of the Japanese makers have taken vintage design and morphed it into dresswear that has different esthetics than the vintage workwear that I like.

Different esthetics

45CBEE8E-81C0-4172-9169-900C28AF6561.jpeg

40s Windward

F551E001-D38A-43BF-9211-F4D058BCAC1E.jpeg

Japanese over-engineered slimmed down repro.

dudewuttheheck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm definitively playing dress up and I know it, I'm wearing my workwear when going to my office job lol.

I also admit that I don't need the heaviest duty gear for commuting to the office.

But the reason why I wear (mostly vintage) workwear is not because I need heavy duty gear, it's because it has a certain esthetic. Old school construction techniques are part of that esthetic, as are wide upper sleeves and chests.

Some of the Japanese makers have taken vintage design and morphed it into dresswear that has different esthetics than the vintage workwear that I like.

Different esthetics

View attachment 483734
40s Windward

View attachment 483735
Japanese over-engineered slimmed down repro.
That's a great point. You are right that vintage has a certain aesthetic to it. I don't mind some of the dressier construction details, but I do dislike a lot of the pattern changes.

I certainly like your 40s windward over the repro. I'm like this in some ways with my jeans. I want my repros of old levis to be repros of old levis, not modern updated ones.

Like I said, I know that you were not making the arguments for the wrong reasons like some people. It just reminded me of those other people.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
...Personally I feel like Rainbow Country and Freewheelers jackets are over-engineered, and as a result they lack character....
That's why I'm always happy to have found a small flaw in an "over-engineered" leather jacket from the high-end manufacturers from Japan (apart from my RMC JH-2, which was flawless in terms of workmanship). That gives the jackets that certain "extra" a little wobbling here and a little flaw there. In addition, it makes the jacket "unique" only your jacket has this small flaw.

Btw: About the Y'2... I recently bought an HR-55 D-Pocket. The construction is excellent, unfortunately I have to say flawless, lol! The leather is debatable, in fact it has that plastic like feeling, glossy shining and feels like it's been spiced up with paint (much like my former RMC JH-2). I also think that over time the jacket will not develop the nice patina like other jackets. The haptic of the leather reminds me of the original J65 Buco I had (no joke) except for the finish. The hefty #10 Universal Zipper isn't really to my liking either, but... why did I even buy the jacket? It fits like a glove, is very comfortable to wear and has this little extra to stand out against other D-Pockets. Also it's nice to have a "different" jacket in your range... I have in mind to wear this particular Jacket (1.4 mm leather) as my riding Jacket, will you tell you more how it develop after some motorbike-seasons (self-deprecating if I haven't it sold already by then). Originally I thought about wearing my ELMC Roadstar as a motorbike jacket, which I did for 2-3 seasons (driven little). But somehow I always had the feeling that the jacket was a bit too "flimsy" (1.0-1.1 mm, I guess) for motorcycling. Also good, now I wear the ELMC as my "to go fashion" jacket. The Y's fills the gap perfectly, not to heavy-armor like, flexible and as said, yet substantive.

FL_Y'2_Front.jpg
FL_Y'2_Back.jpg
FL_Y'2_Fit.jpg

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

Call Me a Cab
Crashing this Y2 party with some Regius and Rainbow Country.

Regius pattern is 40s/50s type fit, big top and shorter body with a taper and A2 rounded shoulders, in the same Italian horse Buzz Rickson uses, soft and drapy. This was his pattern test jacket, no custom. If I were going with custom I'd place the side cinches just a bit lower so less half belt more cossack. I did use clips to widen the collar.

IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

Rainbow Country is more 70s fit. Slim long with the Wing collar. This is how the collar looks when brand new. No need to use clips to fold it back it just sits like this. Unibody construction, very early turn of the century. But the fit is very 1970s. And they were open about that, just have to read through pages and pages of Japanese Blog posts. Most Japanese repros will say they are "modern fit" but with certain vintage details. And apparently 70s fit is the belle du jour in Japan right now. Buffalo hide was a let down. I'd prefer the goat over it, it's basically the same type of leather in grain, but the RC goat is thicker. This buffalo is only about 3oz and a stiffer than thicker goat.

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

Y2 also make this design, known as the "Hummingbird" jacket, sold under one of Tokyo's retailer brand, Trophy General Store. A bit over priced and in a leather I cannot recommand. They are doing them in Eco horse which is not suitable for jackets imo. I would definitely get one of these in the other leathers. I've seen them on the used market. If I can find one (aniline horse or vintage horse) under ¥100,000 BNWT I would go for it. But I would not pay ¥200,000 for the Eco horse version. Both the Regius and RC jacket has the piped corded detail, this Y2 version does not.

168053780_o1.jpg

That's all I've got.

BTW, I have some Y2 jackets if you go back in this thread. My suggestion is if you are looking for Y2 leather jackets, go with the retailer specials. They are nicer than the stocking models. Y2 prices are a bit high for my taste, but it's your money you can spend it however you like. Y2's biggest strength is pumping out new designs. The best deal on Y2 jackets are sale samples in their Japanese partner stores. But you've kinda gotta be there to take advantage of that. All the Y2 jackets I have to date tend to be very trim. 0 to 2" chest ease for the chest size tag. Good room in the mid torso. They are very modern cuts.

willyto

One Too Many
If something isn’t broken don’t try to fix it. That’s my approach to these jackets.

Stop trying to “improve”, “update”, “modernise” a classic design that just works as it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Komander