Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yesterday´s shopping experience

donCarlos

Practically Family
Yesterday, I decided that I need at least one more proper suit and that it´s the best time for buying it, because there are huge sales everywhere.

First stop was a shop called "Blažek". They are normally quite expensive and too modern for my taste, but I gave it a try, because they had everything for half prices. I found only three suits in my size (which shall be like 42L, 106 in european sizes), all of them were well sewn and the jacket fit me perfectly. Plus they were all reduced from circa 500 USD to half. I took the to the changing "place" (how do you call it? I can´t recall the term even in czech right now). As I tried to pull on the first pants, I knew something is very wrong. They were like two inches too short and so tight I couldn´t squeeze all my "male belongings" comfortably into them. The same problem was with the second pair and the third were so tight that I couldn´t do them up! When I asked the assistant about the reason, she said "That´s sewn primarily for italians, maybe you shall loose some weight" I took it with humour and replied "So I guess they are not as man as they shout at streets on girls..."

Then we started "arguing" (at some points it really must´ve sounded like a serious argument) about my philosophy of wearing suits every day. She said that when I want to look really good, the suit must be perfectly tight and that they are not made for comfort, but for a good look. That time I knew that´s a wrong shop where they can not accept my view on the world, where suits shall be worn every day. Anyway, all suits they had in that shop were black, or dark charcoal grey... It looked like a shop with suits for burial services.

So I went to the second shop, "OP Prostějov". This company makes fine clothes since 1964 in the city of Prostějov, which has over 600 years of sartorial tradition. I personally have some garments made by them from my grandfather and they are very fine. Their sale was even better than the first one - suits from 100 USD, jackets and pants from 10 USD. According to my calculations, that was often more than 75% off! What I always liked about them, they have quite a wide assessment of fabrics. However, no suitable suit in my size. I tried on nearly everything in the shop, I found some really well made pieces, some extremely badly made (one beatiful tweed sportscoat with velvet patches on elbows, discounted from 200 USD to 20 USD, it had pretty high armholes, but too narrow shoulders, so it may never fit anyone), but nothing that would really suit me. They had two nice double-breasted peaked lapel suits, but one of them was like greyish green and the other one was too large for me.

I bought at least one sportscoat and one pair of pants (for 50 USD together it´s not that bad :) ), I will post photos as soon as I get out of the bed and suit up.

Wow, that´s a long and boring story... But I had to share it with someone, since you are probably the only people on Earth who care at least a bit :)

edit: The jacket

sako1.jpg

The pants will need some shortening before I wear them.

4and1

One of the Regulars
Not boring... a couple good chuckles in there.

That's a good lookin' sportcoat. Find some outstanding buttons for it and you'll really have something.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
donCarlos said:
She said that when I want to look really good, the suit must be perfectly tight and that they are not made for comfort, but for a good look.

Oh no. Back away slowly and get out of the room as quickly as you can!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112