Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yet another hair thread. help me pleeeeaaaase?

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Ahh, here is a multitude of questions for the "experienced" vintage ladies!

So I've been desperately trying to work my natural wave in to nice curls, but every time i curl my hair with rollers, a curling iron, or what have you, it turns into POOF. (Literally). I honestly don't have the patience to create pin curls, and I'm not sure if I can finger wave it myself... I tried just a front section last night, and it came out okay... but I guess I need a buddy to help me....
So does any one have any advice to tame my poof--or as I fondly refer to it, a poodle dog gone wrong?

I'm knitting some snoods right now, so I may just forgoe screwing up the back of my hair entirely and cover it. But then again I want to be able to do it for special occassions.

----
Secondly, any suggestions for a classy lookin' updo?

----
An thirdly, I can't seem to find any setting lotion in the beauty supplies/stores near me, so do I have to absolutely order it off the internet? (The surrounding neighborhood is primarily black and asian... I've seen setting lotions for African American hair, but not sure if/how it'll work on my white girl hair. lol)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Here's my advice, for what it's worth:)

if you want to finger wave, there are good directions on www.nocturne.com. Go to the swing page and select hairstyles. Are you brushing your hair out completely before you style it? Give it a good brush (but not over brush or you will brush the curl right out) and then try to coax the waves in. You can use the aluminum wave clamps to give some definition if you brush to much.

If your hair is long enough for a snood (you lucky gal:) ) I would just deal with the front and sides for now. Check some of the previous threads here and the archives for pictures and ideas.

For setting lotion, many of us use Lottabody. It should be readily available at Beauty supply shops like Sally's.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice!!!

olive bleu

One Too Many
i kind of have the same problem. i have very thick, naturally wavy hair and anything i do to introduce more curl into it, is just inviting my head to look like a huge clump of cotton candy with legs.( This was, of course, before my little fit last week when i cut it all off).I find i have to tackle my hair from start to finish with products that smooth and tame. I wash my hair with a de-frizzing shampoo and use lots of a good conditioner. this seems to give my hair that little bit of extra weight and makes it behave a bit better.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I just saw something in a beauty supply store that you might also consider...

A hair rat. You could use it to get a nice classic look for your hair, with a minimum of fussing.

Renee

Familiar Face
How wavy/curly is your hair naturally, and what style is it currently cut in? That might help people give more specific suggestions. :)

As far as a "classy" updo that is also classic, I personally think you just can't beat the look of a French twist.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I feel your pain. I have poof problems too. I use lottabody, I love that stuff, but my hair still poofs. I've generally found that I have to just keep playing with it. The more I play with it the more the curl relaxes a little but it takes some sculpting. I won't lie it can take me up to 2 hours to get what I want but I generally keep my hair set for 1-2 days and either wash and reset on the 3rd or take it down and put it in a snood the 3rd and wash and reset the 4th. I have a pretty good slumber cap. I do a fair amount of rolls and the poof works out for those because I'm able to use it to my advantage. It might be good to invest in a hair rat or two for doing nice updo's and rolls. I'm still too cheap to go get one, I actually use a couple pieces of scrap denim rolled up. It takes some manipulation to cover the denim completely but it works just as well. The other thing that I've found that works for me are the invisible hair nets in your hair color. For me they let me regulate my length (my hair is halfway down my back but most people think it's at my shoulders because of the way I manipulate it) and control the poof while retaining shape.
Nashoba

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Yea I think I'd like to get a hairrat. I remember my mom having one when I was a kid, and I used to play with it in my hair. :) I was looking into them a couple days ago, and I came across a number of things saying you can just make one out of old pantyhose stuffed with whatever.

So I went to Rite Aid today, and although I completely forgot to get toilet paper, I found some lottabody!! :eek: Yaaay!

As for my hair, it is just about shoulder length, with longer layers, and long bangs. I have no trouble with the bangs, because I like doing a pompadour in the front (although I'd eventually want to experiment with different looks) I tried to do a frech twist last weekend, but it didn't work out because of those stupid layers (and the fact that my hair is really thick!) My hair isn't poofy when it's not styled with rollers and such, it's just slightly uncontrolled, and the waves pretty much die if I don't put any product in it.

I did the hair net thing the other day, and it worked well, except a couple of the shorter ends kept popping out towards the end of the day. For now, I think I'll just stick with the net and hair snoods. *continues to knit snood*

crystalface

One of the Regulars
OKay so...
I tried the Lottabody with my rollers, and it worked out fairly well... It looked alot less like an afro, alot more normal curl, but still poofy. I combed it out, and one side (seriously... literally the left half of my hair) turned out LOVELY, but the other side completely went retarded!! :eek: :eusa_doh: So I just ended up not dressing 40's today, but 50's rockabilly instead, so I sprayed my hair with water to get all the poof-curl out, and although I was hoping it would remain wavey, it went pretty limp. I may over done it with the water. :eusa_doh: What matters is the front section came out wonderful, and I was complimented many times today. :D
Ugh. I need to finish my hair snood. :rolleyes:

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Whenever one side of my hair turned out great, and the other well, lets just say not so great , I would always pull the bad side back with a pretty hair comb.

kirawoidan

New in Town
I have the same problem with the one-sided-do. One side of my head just doesn't hold the curls as well. The only advice I can offer is try to touch it up with hot rollers because that usually works for me.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Lottabody is a great product, but I had a really hard time putting in pincurls on my long hair (several inches past my shoulders). My hair holds a curl very well, and I ended up with kinks and excess poofiness. I did get good results using Lottabody with small Scunci foam rollers.

I really need a haircut, though--I haven't seen the inside of a salon in almost a year!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Getting your hair layered can sometimes help to get some weight off your hair. For poof..(I experience this a lot too), use pantene pomade, this stuff is the best I've used so far. also, don't brush your hair after taking curlers out, comb your hair with your fingers.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
If pouf is the issue....

You could try waving it with a triple barrel curling iron-- it gives a wave without adding alot of pouf.

My hair hits just past my shoulders. The easiest updo that I create is accomplished with a faux hair pony. I style the front of my hair and brush the back into a pony set a smidge lower than mid center. I braid the pony. Then I take the faux piece and braid that and twist it into a figure 8 so that the ends are meeting at center on the underside. I take an elastic and secure the ends together. Then I lift up my own braid, center the faux figure 8 under it (the 8 would be tipped on its side). Then I drop my braid over the faux and pin the end underneath the faux using the very large bobbie pins to secure everything to my head. It makes a lovely updo and looks far more complicated than it is. It also feels quite secure.

Also Biolage makes a nice setting spray. Its marked as "thermal", but it works wet or dry just fine-- and is pretty easy to find at your local salon.

Honey Doll

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I'm definately look towards that triple barrel curling iron--I've heard about them before and I've always wanted one. :D

I'm definately taking everyones suggestions into stride. Thanks everyone!

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Wooohhoooo!
Successful curls!
So after applying lot's-o-lottabody and rolling my hair in rollers, then combing each curl out individually with mousse, I have finally got my curls to work!
I felt pretty glamorous when I went to work today.
:D :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ