Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another 'Holy Grail' '30s Suit Sells Well on eBay

bollax

Too bad the bid I had you put on (my max) was too a little too low. It's in my local fabric (Shepherd's/Border/Northumberland check). As voyeurs of fabric will know, a sample of just this kind of check was found in a pot near Hadrian's wall in a Roman pot - it had been used to wrap something or other. The earliest known example of a British check fabric. Just this pattern. It's still woven by a couple of mills in the Borders so is still buy-able.

I hope that I can find a Hong Kong tailor next year to make this suit for me. I can provide them with the fabric and examples to copy. Grrrrrrrrr I really wanted this one … Good luck to the chap that bought it.

A STUNNING suit

bk

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Can't believe the seller didn't know a herringbone from a hound's tooth. Like almost everything sold out there, it was too small for me (luckily!).

well, given that it's neither herringbone nor houndstooth … This is a Northumberland check.

511112826_o.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There are two other suits from the same seller ending momentarily. They have low bids on them currently.

They went for a song.

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There are two other suits from the same seller ending momentarily. They have low bids on them currently.

And they probably won't go for much.

The magic dollar-sign phrases of the moment are:

"Vintage belted back suit" (preferably '20s-'30s, preferably Palm Beach Cloth)

"Vintage three-piece suit" (preferably tweed, preferably '20s-'30s)

"Larger size" (though this is optional)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I took a peek at that suit, and even though it appeared to be in a decent condition, I can't see myself wearing it and it would have been a wee bit too tight.

A few make mention of tweeds and such on this thread, well, there are a few very clean, great condition sports coats at a resale shop here in my town, none of which are priced more than $40.00, and some that are at least from the late 1930's, if not older. None of these sport coats have any issues with them at all, and for the most part are a tweed or tan/black small check pattern. I think they may have one or two suits also, I will check tomorrow and do some investigation on them. If anyone would desire to have me make a purchase for them and buy it, seriously, let me know.

Thanks....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I took a peek at that suit, and even though it appeared to be in a decent condition, I can't see myself wearing it and it would have been a wee bit too tight.

A few make mention of tweeds and such on this thread, well, there are a few very clean, great condition sports coats at a resale shop here in my town, none of which are priced more than $40.00, and some that are at least from the late 1930's, if not older. None of these sport coats have any issues with them at all, and for the most part are a tweed or tan/black small check pattern. I think they may have one or two suits also, I will check tomorrow and do some investigation on them. If anyone would desire to have me make a purchase for them and buy it, seriously, let me know.

Thanks....

The key is to take good photos first, especially of the stuff that is from the late 1930s or older. Would the resale shop let you do that?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
And they probably won't go for much.

The magic dollar-sign phrases of the moment are:

"Vintage belted back suit" (preferably '20s-'30s, preferably Palm Beach Cloth)

"Vintage three-piece suit" (preferably tweed, preferably '20s-'30s)

Do you think that these auctions could have benefited from better listing terminology?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...Clothing&hash=item2314bdba73&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item256823af6a

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

No. Well-versed potential bidders realized that the first auction above was for a 1960s suit, not 1930s. Even if the seller had correctly described it as '60s, she wouldn't have gotten much cash. Mad Men notwithstanding, most '60s suits can hardly be given away.

In my opinion ... the suit in the second auction above, though perhaps genuinely '30s, has few 'iconically' '30s details to it. The jacket doesn't seem to have a particularly suppressed waist, the lapel silhouette is ho-hum, it isn't a three-button, and the vest is missing. The Donegal tweed wool is nice indeed ... but not quite spectacular enough to make the whole suit exciting. (You have to understand that the collectors who bid high are VERY particular about what they want.)

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Donegal tweed wool is nice indeed ... but not quite spectacular enough to make the whole suit exciting. (You have to understand that the collectors who bid high are VERY particular about what they want.)
Oh, I realize it isn't a Holy Grail garment but $26 is a thrift store price, No?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112