Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Tube Guy Eats Actual WWII Army Rations

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ever eaten real WWII rations? Not "reenactor" rations, but actual old-stock 1940s-dated rations cracked open for the first time after aging in the packages for 75 years. Here's a guy whose whole schtick is dining on outdated military food. In this video, he breaks out a WW2 K-Ration pack and explores the gustatory delights therein.

I can't criticize the guy -- having consumed 80-year-old malted milk powder -- but he goes where few here, I suspect, would ever dare. In another of his videos he eats, and enjoys, a chunk of Civil War hardtack. He's the Anthony Bourdain of the surplus store.

3fingers

One Too Many
I have not seen his videos but I have heard about him since my youngest son looks forward to the release of his next expired cuisine adventure.

MondoFW

Practically Family
His shaky hands make this very painful, but I'll try and slog through the rest.

I can't believe he manages to find this old-stock food. Does anyone know how this guy obtained the hardtack? This is an interesting concept, and I bet very sensational for viewers. Thanks for sharing, Lizzie.

Just Jim

A-List Customer
WWII C- and K-rations (if the cans aren't rusted through) aren't much worse now than they were in the '70s when they were a staple for us kids on fishing and camping trips. (The cigarettes haven't fared well though: a Chesterfield that has been drying out for 75 years gives a whole new meaning to the term "a quick smoke".)

Stuff like Civil War hardtack turns up occasionally. Hardtack made to period recipes today is pretty bad, I can't imagine aging has improved it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I thought anti-elderly packaging was a relatively modern development. This guy needs a pocketknife to get into the box. Serious sealing.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
WWII C- and K-rations (if the cans aren't rusted through) aren't much worse now than they were in the '70s (The cigarettes haven't fared well though: a Chesterfield that has been drying out for 75 years gives a whole new meaning to the term "a quick smoke".)

Out on patrol I would trade the three Chesterfields for one date nut roll.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto