Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I'm 25 (just turned). I've developed an eclectic mix of modern and vintage taste. I shave with a straight razor, own a record player and quite a collection of records (mostly the Chairman, but a little Dean in there too along with some jazz). I'd say that my interest in the finer things in life is a direct result of getting over some personal issues.

Like Frank says, nothing but the best is good enough for me. :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm 19. I haven't decided to totally adapt vintage style, as I've not the monetary resources to acquire vintage clothing and etc. at this time.

Rather, I've been told that I'm kind of a loser. I'm handsome and intelligent, but unfortunately I have little ambition and even less skill at social interaction. I'm told it's because I've a somewhat low self-esteem, a fear of failure and of disappointing others, etc...

Finally, enough people told me this that I got pissed, and I started evaluating myself. I got angry enough at how pathetic I was that I decided to remake my image, get a job, and change my own personality (I'm charming, sure, but I'm also cynical and sarcastic, and that doesn't get you many close friends).

Getting a job has proved difficult, but changing my personality has been better fare. I really need to start working out (no one I know can tell, but for my height, I'm close to the border between healthy and overweight).

I decided to start dressing better. After all, my sorta-plan has been to follow in my mother's footsteps and enter the medical profession. Without a job it is harder to obtain dress shoes and pants, but I can obtain the shirts and hats just fine. I have noticed that dressing nicer and wearing a fedora (Akubra Squatter and Akubra Campdraft) has boosted my confidence, if only because I can use the brim of the hat to hide my face from disapproving eyes lol.

I am heading back to college in a week. It will be the true test of my character, being surrounded by different people of different beliefs and ideals and manners.

I've had a chance to introduce myself on another thread, but I'll do it again, as I see there are other young'uns here in the Lounge as well.
I'm 18 and living on the Canadian west coast. I started taking an interest to vintage clothing after I graduated high school, much to the chagrin of my contemporaries my age (and to my close friends, delight). I regularly comb thrift stores, but for the more difficult-to-find things I usually use everybody's favourite auction site.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Glad to see there are other people my age who dig a spiffier scene, as they used to say! I'm 21, in college, and getting more vintage by the day. A swing band drummer who I worked with introduced me to '40s music, and my tastes have grown from there. I took up harmonica playing as a cheap, portable way to start making classy music myself. The vintage scene is where I fit in best.

When I started volunteering at a trolley museum, I'd come back to campus every evening on weekends and go to dinner in full uniform (looking like this), and never minding it at all! One of my friends once commented "Either you've been working at the trolley museum, or you're moonlighting as an awesome person!" I'd say that fits the bill for the sort of classy crowd gathered here. I've only gotten compliments like that, no weird looks, even now that I dress more formally on any day I have a reason to. And I'm an everyday hat wearer, too. :yo:

And Neophyte, your comment here caught my attention:

I am heading back to college in a week. It will be the true test of my character, being surrounded by different people of different beliefs and ideals and manners.

I think you'll be quite pleased. For me, college has been an exercise in defining myself, even more so than getting a degree. You have all the freedom you need, and when you're with the right crowd, you'll have support too. All the best!

Last edited:

Alex

Practically Family
I'm 18 and have always been into vintage. It was something I didn't think much of though for most of my life because I was young and didn't have the means of pulling the look off. Well recently I realized I can now buy my own vintage clothing and what not. It's super cool that there's others my age and even younger that are into vintage. I really like the culture in general from the 20s on up to the 60s. The only downsides are that I stick out like a sore thumb in my city, and vintage clothing & hats aren't cheap.

I only have one other friend that is interested in vintage like I am (I am more so than he is) and I'll be living with him next year in college. It'll be good times. One thing I've noticed recently is that peacoats are definitely in style now, as I live in a college town. That's a step in the right direction !

beth

Familiar Face
I am 17. I'm so excited to find other youth who have the same interests as me. :)

Welcome Le Garçon au Foulard Vert!

JAZZmann

New in Town
Im 20. In college for History/Art History and Museum Studies. Particularly 20s-50s. I've always loved big band and swing music. I get lots of comments like "what are you, 60 or something?" In my High School jazz band we went vintage costume for almost all peformances. Thats when I started picking up vintage suits, ties, cufflinks etc. I love the general style of the Golden age. When my Grandparents died I got alot of vintage stuff that nobody wanted. After High School I got sick of wearing the same old jeans and t-shirts, looking the same as everyone else.
Some of my interest in Vintage is based in needing to preserve our past. Most people don't really care nowadays. I beg to differ though.

Jesse Jack

New in Town
I'm 26 so I guess I don't count, but anyway, I used to be all punk with a mohawk and stuff. I've always kind of been quiet so I kinda let the look do the talking. Then

I got into a vintage look because it was a way to stand out but still be a little more mature and put together.

Prokofiev

New in Town
My apologies if this is rambling, or incohesive. Writing is not my strong point.
Well, where shall I begin? I am 17 at the moment. Up until senior high, I was homeschooled, and wasn't particularly concerned about my appearance at all. Then our family moved to a different city, and I started attending a public school for the first time. I realized my faded t-shirts and ripped jeans didn't match the clothes that my peers were wearing. However, the dominant styles, punk, hip hop/rap, and prep, didn't really fit in with my mindset. So I decided to reject popular style, and went to the local thrift shop. I bought a black 3 piece suit, black shirt, black tie, and black shoes. Yes. That was my teenaged rebellion, dressing up. From there I gradually moved on to brighter colours of suits, and a few vintage ones. I also am moving backwards in time with music. The more I time I spend reading about the era, the more I like it.

Alex

Practically Family
My apologies if this is rambling, or incohesive. Writing is not my strong point.
Well, where shall I begin? I am 17 at the moment. Up until senior high, I was homeschooled, and wasn't particularly concerned about my appearance at all. Then our family moved to a different city, and I started attending a public school for the first time. I realized my faded t-shirts and ripped jeans didn't match the clothes that my peers were wearing. However, the dominant styles, punk, hip hop/rap, and prep, didn't really fit in with my mindset. So I decided to reject popular style, and went to the local thrift shop. I bought a black 3 piece suit, black shirt, black tie, and black shoes. Yes. That was my teenaged rebellion, dressing up. From there I gradually moved on to brighter colours of suits, and a few vintage ones. I also am moving backwards in time with music. The more I time I spend reading about the era, the more I like it.

haha that's awesome. It definitely isn't easy to stand out like that, for me anyway. I don't necessarily want to be viewed as "that weird kid".

Berlin

Practically Family
Oh, I haven't been on this thread yet. I do fit the description tho.
So here goes;
I've turned 24 very recently, I live in the Netherlands..Apeldoorn to be specific, and I work as a model for 5 years now.
I am an old soul, and wore vintage pretty quickly in my life. It brought me much fun and it still does. Wearing it, feels like coming home :)

It's sad tho, that vintage and authenticity in general, is still an unknown area for Dutchies.
Yes ofcourse, we have the rockabillies and bella's and people interested in the '50s and therefore wear polkadot dresses combined with some sort of victory roll- alike hairdo...but people that are really digging authenticity are still countable on two hands.

dapperchris

New in Town
Hello,
I'm Chris.

I'm 23 and I've admired the decades of the 40's, 50's and 60's since I was a child, I always felt like I was born in the wrong era. I love the elegance of these periods. I also love swing, big band, etc. I don't own many vintage pieces as of yet, but I do have several vintage ties and an antique pocket watch. I do my best to achieve the look. I'm looking forward to hearing some great tips and advice on improving my style.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ok, this thread here is not really the place for me to stay so I'm just passing through to let you all know that I'm amazed at the high number of young folks sharing a love for vintage styles. I live in Berlin, which is not exactly a tiny place, but I rarely ever seem to find any of them here. Come to think of it, I don't even see many older people dressing vintage...

Anyway: well done! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:)

Last edited:

MissHawthorne

New in Town
It's nice to see other young people who love old stuff! I'm 23, and have been in love with the mid 20th century as long as I can remember. (Except for a couple years where the obsession was Thomas Jefferson) I didn't realise until last summer that a vintage lifestyle was even possible, and now I've jumped in with both feet. I don't belong in the modern era, and love love love having standards to live by.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
You know, I thought I was the only person around 20 years old who was into vintage 5 years ago. It's so nice to know like-minded people.

There are definitely more members of the younger generations that are into vintage than you would first think. Look hard enough, or just visit this forum, and you can find vintage lovers of all ages.

And that is why I spend so much time here. I love being around all these people who think like me!

There are definitely more members of the younger generations that are into vintage than you would first think. Look hard enough, or just visit this forum, and you can find vintage lovers of all ages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko