Your advice on Iron Heart Denim Type III jackets would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Robbie79, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

Hey guys,

After selling the Vanek and LW Easy Ryder I'm having enough space for new jackets.

As I always wanted a high quality denim jacket I've been considering a Iron Heart Type III for a while.

The IH-526J-22 22oz Selvedge Denim Type III Jacket - Indigo

is available in my size however sleeves seem to be 1" too long (size S). Chest, shoulders and Opening seem to be perfect.
    [​IMG]
    The IH-526Lod 19oz Left-Hand Twill Selvedge Denim Type III Jacket - Overdyed Indigo is also available in my size Medium, sleeves seem to be perfect (24.1" - usually I wear 24.5-25" on leather jackets), however Chest, shoulder and opening seem to be tight (not sure if too tight). Taking one size larger, then the sleeves, shoulder and opening seem to be perfect, however chest could be slightl too wide (21" would be perfect, 21.5" are chest dimensions).

[​IMG]

My favorite one is the IH-526J-22OD
    22oz Selvedge Denim Type III Jacket - Indigo Overdyed Black and size M seems to be perfect apart from the long sleeves.

[​IMG]

As I've never tried an Iron Heart on, I hope to get some feedback from you guys on fit and difference between the three jackets.

Not sure if the black overdyed one are really dark black or with blue undertones which I would like.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your feedback!

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. ton312

ton312

I’ve owned a number of IH type III’s a 101j and a prototype type I. By and far away my fav to date is the 19oz LOD. Good numbers (runs small though) and superb denim. If you were to ask me, that’s the one to get! I’ve been wearing the snot out of mine and it’s fading nicely. The OD helps avoid the tux deluxe if that’s not your thing. I took a size up from usual in this guy.
    E9899E4F-C8A7-4AB0-B344-A1B6AD0EAA85.jpeg 592D0FD5-672B-49BB-8D69-FCC53980B736.jpeg

Jin431, navetsea, jonesy86 and 8 others like this.
  3. ton312

ton312

Oh man my beard! LOL.
    6F187AD7-3CB0-4A27-BA61-6F861EB02DDE.jpeg

Jin431, navetsea, jonesy86 and 8 others like this.
  4. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

Thanks @ton312 for sharing your valuable experience. The fading on yours do look incredible! If the chest measurement doesn't turn out as big as stated on IH's size guide (0.5" less would be perfect), then size Large would be perfect for me and sleeves are 24.4" which is perfect for me. Do you think size Large could fit? Have you ever owned type IH-526J-22OD ?
    Thanks again!
    P.S. Almost similar hair/beard color :p

5. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

In the meantime IH has informed me that the sleeves are shrinking with some wear. Below is a pic of the IH-526J-22OD 22oz Indigo Black overdyed and it seems that there are blue undertones.

[​IMG]

6. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

What is the back length of these? They look a bit elongated in my eyes.

7. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

I
    H-526J-22OD 23.7" size medium
    IH-526Lod 23.7" size medium
    IH-526J-22 23.4 size small

8. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Those are perfect numbers. @ton312 jacket looks a lot longer.

Robbie79 likes this.
  9. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Im partial to the 526J and would go that way if it were me.
    From what I understand IH do make the jackets a bit longer when adding the handwarmer pockets, and anything OD (overdyed) will have all the shrinkage already removed by the dying process so washing and drying may shrink the regular (non-overdyed) jackets

ton312 and Robbie79 like this.
  10. ton312

ton312

This one is 26” (sz. xxl) with about a 1” front drop. They are a bit longer than what you’d typically expect out of a type III and the “pj” jackets, as Boyo mentioned, with pockets, are the longest.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Marc mndt and Robbie79 like this.
  11. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

Thanks again for your valuable input @Boyo and @ton312
    As the jacket will most likely shrink (IH Germany also confirmed this for this jacket) and as the body dimensions of the IH-526J-22OD look best for me (I hope I'm right), I decided to order it in size Medium and I hope it will fit me! Otherwise the IH-526Lod would be my second choice as Ton's fading pics look great!
    Cheers,
    Robbie

Boyo and ton312 like this.
  12. ton312

ton312

Good choice Robbie. A whole new and eternal rabbit hole awaits. If you fall fast enough you might catch up with me and we can high five on the way down. LOL.

Fonzie likes this.
  13. Monitor

Monitor

My best fitting one was the first, unlined Lee copy. That was my favorite number by IH, followed by 526, which I adore. If I had an infinite supply of cash, I'd happy own both times two but as I'm trying to wear leather as much as possible, which is to say whenever weather allows it, it don't make much sense for me to have $1K worth of denim hanging in a wardrobe but otherwise brilliant jackets, brilliant denim and definitely worth the money.

Oh, and my experience with sizing is that IH's charts are showing smaller numbers than what they're like in reality. My 526 was sz. 38 and I could wear it comfortably even before I lost weight.

Robbie79 likes this.
  14. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Not much to add here but I will say if the sleeves are only an inch longer than you want then go for it. The sleeves on IH jackets are always too long and they do shorten up some with wear and creasing. I own four or five IH type III’s and I think they are all awesome.

ton312 and Robbie79 like this.
  15. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

You can always send Iron Heart your preferred measurements, and ask if there's a jacket that matches them. There's some variation within the size, so you might be lucky.

For example, I got a pair of jeans that had an extra inch of inseam versus the measurement chart, which I needed.

Robbie79 likes this.
  16. BassandB3

BassandB3 Familiar Face

Don’t have any IH jackets but their OD jeans are black with midnight blue undertones, and the blue gets more pronounced with wear. I saw an OD denim jacket that had been worn for about a year and it was fading beautifully, again with midnight blue. Next to true black it looks midnight blue to me but next to dark denim it’s definitely a full shade darker and appears almost black. Great color IMO. Another weird caveat of the OD is that the stitching color supposedly brightens as the unstable black overdye fades away and reveals more original stitch color.

Robbie79 likes this.
  17. Bennarion

Bennarion One Too Many

I have this 21oz jacket in size 40. If you need to take some measurements, ask me IMG_20210402_154302.jpg

Fonzie, JMax and ton312 like this.