Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Documentaries about the "modern" Past

For me it is usually a great joy to watch a documentary that has life at home / work / entertainment etc. from about the time motion pictures started until say the 1960's.

I enjoy seeing what was important or exciting back then up to about my childhood / teen years.

In LA the PBS stations will play 2 fun documnentaries done by Ralph Story a old news reporter that was a real great guy.

Things That Aren't Here Anymore
More Things That Aren't Here Anymore

I reccomend them highly as really fun.

Another that is not on DVD just on VHS - America in The 40's: A Sentimental Journey

This one was outstanding about the home front in WWII - Charles Durning spoke in this one - top notch but a hidden gem.

Lastly although not truly vintage but getting old all the same - A Hotdog Program try to watch it and not want a hotdog. (Go Nathans in the Natural Casing!)

Last edited:
I like the A&E documentary DVD "The Real Las Vegas" which was put together in 1996 so the new portions are 16 years old now. The city history starts with the local indian Piute tribes then the Mormon mission times. The official founding is in 1905 by the railrod it has some great early film. Some good 30's bits and then with the Flamingo late 40's on it has great footage. If you can find it used and cheap it might be worth watching.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Las-Vegas-Complete/dp/B00005MKOF

Cue muffled film sound track announcer's voice: "Las vegas -the entertainment capitol of the world!"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points