Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Paintings

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I've recently delved into my longtime but never-fully-explored interest in art and so I'm discovering much to enjoy. I'm getting the same passionate interest in art as I have in music and film. So, I'd be interested in knowing what my fellow Loungers' favorite paintings are. I'm personally most interested in Impressionism and on, but any and all paintings are welcome here.

I've been on a Camille Pissarro kick lately, particularly his series on Paris:

Boulevard Montmartre Sunset, 1897

CamillePissarro-BoulevardMontmartreSunset1897.jpg

Boulevard Montmartre at Night, 1897

CamillePissarro-BoulevardMontmartreatNight1897.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Some favorites:

Monarch of the Glenn by Landseer:
images

Napoleon on the Bridge of Arcole by Gros:
Gros%20Antoine-Jean%20baron-xx-Napoleon%20Bonaparte%20on%20the%20Bridge%20at%20Arcole-xx-Late%201796-early%201797.jpg

Madame X by Sargent
MadameXa.jpg

Any of Hiroshige's samurai prints:
chushingura11_5.jpg

The Rake's Progress (and also Marriage a la mode) by Hogarth:
3jsw_orgy.jpg

Most of the animal or hunting scenes by Desportes and Oudry:
330px-Fran%C3%A7ois_Desportes_001.jpg

And while its not great art Lucien-Henri Weiluc's Le Frou Frou does call to me ;)
lucien-henri-weiluc-le-frou-frou.jpg

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The Fedora Lounge is well known for its love of paintings. :mmph:

Thanks to the two of you who did contribute. I liked the Le Frou Frou, too!

DNO

One Too Many
I have a lot of art and love every piece but I don't have this one...

A Portrait of the Marchesa Casati by Augustus John.

marchesacasatibyjohnaugustus.jpg

Just visited her yesterday at the Art Gallery of Ontario and like any other painting it's far more magnificent in reality than in any photo.

Effingham

A-List Customer
I am grooving on Edouard Cortes series on Paris, myself. I have an oil replica of "Evening's Delight In Paris" in my living room:
evening-s-delight-in-paris.jpg

I've also got an oil replica of David's "Belisarius Receiving Alms" -- primarily because I love the story behind it.
size1.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Favorites? That's a hard one as I have so many. But here are just a few.
The fantastic Arnolfini Marriage by Jan Van Eyck
438px-Van_Eyck_-_Arnolfini_Portrait-1.jpg
[/IMG]
This one just floors me, always has. Photo-realism 500 and some odd years before the style was invented by the artist often credited with inventing the oil medium itself.

Van Eyck's contemporary, the great Leonardo Da Vinci's Virgin of the Rocks. Serene and almost surrealistic.
virgin-orig.jpg
[/IMG]

Of course the awesome Maxfield Parrish, who strived to emulate the techniques of the early masters deep and luminous paintings on panels, with amazing results.
MP.jpg
[/IMG]

The portraits of Franz Hals, in particular this one commonly known as The Laughing Cavalier are tour de force. The rendering of the lace is particularly striking.

cavalier.jpg
[/IMG]

And speaking of portraiture, there are few who ever equaled Sir Thomas Gainsborough. This portrait of his daughters, though unfinished is captivating none the less.

gainsborough.jpg
[/IMG]

Pre-Raphaelite works such as John William Waterhouse's La Belle Dame Sans Mercy never cease to enthrall.

waterhouse_la_belle_dame_sans_merci.jpg
[/IMG]

The work of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema is simply fantastic.

800px-Egyptian_chess_players.jpg
[/IMG]

Last but certainly not least, the work of William-Adolphe Bouguereau is striking. I had the distinct pleasure of seeing this one, Le Repose, in person many times at The Cleveland Museum of Art.

Le-Repos-Rest.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I've always loved the work of Grant Wood. I was born and raised in the part of Iowa where he lived and painted back in the 1930s. I have this print hanging on my wall. 'Death on Ridge Road' is a bit different from most of his work. Painted in 1935, it was once owned by Cole Porter.

ridgeroad.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
A modern artist, I like Ken Zylla's work. I've actually got a couple of his prints hanging in my house, and the gas shop down the street had his calendar this year. Nice nostalgic Americana stuff.

images%5CZRODXL-Zylla-Reflections%20of%20December-25x36-548%20oak.JPG

I'm also a huge Norman Rockwell fan. Just about anything he did appeals to me.

norman-rockwell-a-christmas-homecoming-1948-e1276912114970.jpg

Effingham

A-List Customer
I have to admit to a fondness, as well, for "The Nighthawks," and Magritte's "Treachery of Images." I'm ordering a copy of the latter, and thinking about a copy of the former.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I have to admit to a fondness, as well, for "The Nighthawks," and Magritte's "Treachery of Images." I'm ordering a copy of the latter, and thinking about a copy of the former.

A print of Nighthawks hangs in our living room (my husband loves Hopper's work) and I like a lot of Magritte's paintings, particularly Golconde and L'Empire des Lumières.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
This is one of my favorites - I have a poster print of it and am trying to find a decent gold frame for it.

Toward far Horizons - Ship Triumphant by Frank Vining Smith

towardfarhorizons.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was shown this painting while in an undergraduate Fine Arts class:

6a00d8341e31c353ef01538e99f277970b-pi

Portrait of Vollard by Picasso. I couldn't stop looking at it and asked the professor to put it back up on the screen at at the end of the period.

Picasso painted this portrait of Ambroise Vollard in 1908. Vollard was an important dealer in French contemporary art at the beginning of the twentieth century. He is credited with providing exposure and emotional support to numerous notable and unknown artists, including Paul Cézanne, Aristide Maillol (that's M a i l l o l - the l o l became an emoticon), Renoir, Louis Valtat, Pablo Picasso, André Derain, Georges Rouault, Paul Gauguin and Vincent Van Gogh. He is also well-known as an avid art collector and publisher.

A number of these painters did portraits of him. I had seen Picasso's in isolation, as the Introduction to Fine Art professor was focusing on Picasso at that time. It is still one of my favorite paintings.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko