Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm ravenously hungry right now, and when I get hungry nothing hits the spot like a really good sandwich. For example...

A pastrami on rye from the Carnegie Deli, NYC -- thick and juicy and just the right level of spiciness. Who needs condiments when the meat's this good?

A pressed cuban from a place called Digby's, also in NYC, right near the Museum of TV and Radio. I stumbled on this joint by accident during a trip last year, and it stood out as the best lunch I'd had in a long time.

Smoked Meat from Schwartz's Deli in Montreal. Someone smuggled one of these to me when I was in the hospital up there a couple years ago, and it made me forget all about the squishy hospital food...

But my favorite of all would have to be --

A "Portsidah" from the Brass Compass Cafe, a humble little lunchroom in downtown Rockland, ME. A fried chicken breast, a thick slice of ham, swiss cheese, crispy lettuce, and tomato slices on a fresh bulkie roll.

Mmmm. Can't wait 'till lunch.

So -- what's your favorite lunchtime fare?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Right now, pastrami, swiss cheese, a little mustard, some olives a couple fresh mushrooms and yogurt. No bread. Gigungus tub of water.

I love Cuban sammiches. Got the Panini just to do those. But no more...

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love homemade roast beef and swiss cheese on a toasted hoagie, with au jus. Yum! I'm also a big fan of pimento cheese on white bread.

My all-time, absolute, out of this world favorite is the "salvation" from Alvin Ord's in Weatherford, Texas. I am convinced there's no sandwich in the world that can possibly compare. Homemade sourdough roll with ham and cotto salami, toasted open faced with cheese, and just the right amount of greasiness.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
All time favorite - BLT made with fresh garden tomatoes and Miracle Whip; close second, tuna with the right mix of stuffl; third is probably a Rueben with yellow mustard rather than Thousand Island dressing.

Feraud

Bartender
Pastrami on rye, lots of mustard from Sarge's on Third! They also have great matzo ball soup.

I just might have to visit them today....
Atkins would be proud. lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It really depends on the day! I have a few favorites.
Peanut Butter and Fluff, when I want to feel like a kid or need a rush of sugar.
Fresh turkey on rye with cranberry sauce and a russian dressing dip.
Right now, I've been eating a lot at the bar right next to where I live. I get a grilled chicken panini with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and a tarragon mayo. This comes with a side of sweet potato fries, and is soooo yummy.
I'm also partial to Roast beef with horseradish.

Steve

Practically Family
The best sandwich I ever put in my mouth was from a little hole-in the-wall sandwich shop in the Historic Pensacola district. Pastrami on buttered, grilled rye bread, with lettuce, condiments, and potatoe salad and a pickel on the side. Now I want one again...

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
half n half, dressed

A half n half poor boy, dressed from Guy's on magazine, or some place out in Bucktown. For those not in the know, half n half means half fried shrimp and half fried oysters. Dressed means mayo, lettuce, tomato, and maybe pickles. On a half n half it would also probably include ketchup or cocktail sauce (the better option).

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
-#1 The Reuben. No question. In all its forms. (Sadly, California continues to fail to make a really worthwhile Reuben. I've had some mighties in Chicago, though.)

-I'm also a horseradish addict -- anything with too much of the stuff is a good sandwich to me. (Alas, it makes me a great chef!)

-BBQ pork sandwiches (Chef Edwards Piggly Wiggly in downtown Oakland is paragon).

-Cajun style Po'Boys. Either deepfried shrimp/catfish or turkey/chicken links with plenty cayenne hotsauce. (Uncle Darrow's in Venice, CA doesn't do me wrong. -- though probably does me worse than Archie's localspots.)

-Bagel w/Lox/BBQ Cod/Creamed Herring/etc. (Weekend mornings at my parents' place.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm very glad to see so many pastrami enthusiasts here -- makes me wonder why nobody's stepped up to run a deli in the "Vintage Town" thread!

Forgot to mention another of my favorites -- the Spicy Chicken Deluxe from Popeye's Fried Chicken. It's fast food, but my my my -- it's *good* fast food!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
No question about it, I'd like a kolbassi & cheese from Primanti's Bros. in Pittsburgh, a tradition since 1933. The sandwiches have a really neat history. The Primanti Bros. website has a fun history of how the sandwiches came about, complete with real Pittsburgh slang. Mmmmm, kolbassi & cheese, washed down with an Iron City beer. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I want to add to my earlier submissions: when I'm in Texas or other area with great smoked BBQ (the only REAL BBQ), nothing beats a big ol' bun full of chopped brisket with some sauce over it.

Oh man, it's 2.5 hours until lunch....now I can't wait!!!!!!!!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I need to stop reading this thread - it is making me soooo hungry!

I also love crunchy peanut butter with blackberry jam on white bread, and tuna melts.

Jack Scorpion said:
-Cajun style Po'Boys. Either deepfried shrimp/catfish or turkey/chicken links with plenty cayenne hotsauce.

There's a delicious deli on the Strand in Galveston - coincidentally named Deli on the Strand - that has a wonderful fried shrimp po'boy, as well as homemade baklava.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112