Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your first hat

Mm25

One Too Many
I did a search and did not see anything that addressed this. I still have the first fedora I bought. It was the mid eighties and I was a freshman in college. It was a in small, rural, town with a central square that had a small men's shop, like most small towns did back then.
I bought a brown Bee hat, which they punched my initials into the band. To this day it's the only hat with my initials in it.

I would be interested in seeing your first hats, or if they are gone, the hat you have had the longest (not the oldest hat).

My Bee

This was my first fedora. The hat belonged to my grandfather. I wore it quite often in the late 1970s / early 1980s until my roommate's dog ate the bow off the ribbon and left a few teeth marks. It then became my float-trip hat.

The hat currently:

22481161477_8b52039844_z.jpg

The hat on my head back in 1983:

22620221950_46b9b23366_z.jpg

On a side note: I had a bad habit of taking a blue Bic pen and modifying the labels my Big Smith overalls to read a little differently.

25498992513_0db447a6da_n.jpg

Last edited:

Mm25

One Too Many
This was my first fedora. The hat belonged to my grandfather. I wore it quite often in the late 1970s / early 1980s until my roommate's dog ate the bow off the ribbon and left a few teeth marks. It then became my float-trip hat.

The hat currently:

22481161477_8b52039844_z.jpg

The hat on my head back in 1983:

22620221950_46b9b23366_z.jpg

On a side note: I had a bad habit of taking a blue Bic pen and modifying the labels my Big Smith overalls to read a little differently.

25498992513_0db447a6da_n.jpg
It still looks great. Nice connection to your grandfather.

Bob, what is the hat? A Stetson?

As most of you know, I'm a noob to the whole hat thing. With the exception of a Levi's denim western I use to wear in my late teens (and thank God I don't think I have photos of that), I've only worn Fedoras since late 2014. I decided that, as a man in his 50s, I should have a "proper" dress hat for occasions like First Communions, weddings and Bar Mitzvahs.

So I went to see Mr. Miller at Batsakes in Cincy and walked out with a Selentino Sterling. Even though I gravitate toward the high straight crowns, now I still like this thing quite a bit. I should wear it more often.

604957acf3594d57a8904ebada35dae3.jpg
d4fec0d4990740402ad93cd035f33338.jpg
554421650d92cc0bb6dfb401bcb2dcaf.jpg
b1381104ef9fba9f5f7d971b620fa4c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mm25

One Too Many
My first fedora was an estate sale find by my mom in 1983
barely ever been without one since.
I don't remember what brand it was but here it is circa '83 or '84

I loved that that hat

e11304de71dc36989c798643f41b3fc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! I wish I had a pic of me in mine back in the day, but I never did get the old pics digitized

Bob, what is the hat? A Stetson?

As most of you know, I'm a noob to the whole hat thing. With the exception of a Levi's denim western I use to wear in my late teens

Not a Stetson. The lining separated from the hat many years ago and the sweat only has the local department store name (Heers). I think I found your Levi's hat. :D

28026a.jpg

My first hats belonged initially to my Dad but as he was a 7 1/4 and I a 7 3/8 never fit properly. I no longer have them and have no recollection as to their provenance other than from the 1940's. The first hat I purchased in the early 60's and to my best recollection was a black stingy brim. My first adult hat, that I still possess is an Akubra Madison from the late 1990's bought in Canada but imported from David Morgan

Not a Stetson. The lining separated from the hat many years ago and the sweat only has the local department store name (Heers). I think I found your Levi's hat. :D

28026a.jpg

Very, very close, my friend!

I don't remember mine having a stitched brim - but it was a looong time ago.

I was a long-haired FM type in a denim hat driving a '74 Toyota HiLux. The stereo speakers were blown Jensens sitting in shoe boxes be hind the seat.

Neil Young sounded great out of those things. Everything else sounded like Neil Young.

I did a search and did not see anything that addressed this. I still have the first fedora I bought. It was the mid eighties and I was a freshman in college. It was a in small, rural, town with a central square that had a small men's shop, like most small towns did back then.
I bought a brown Bee hat, which they punched my initials into the band. To this day it's the only hat with my initials in it.

I would be interested in seeing your first hats, or if they are gone, the hat you have had the longest (not the oldest hat).

My Bee

My avatar shows my first fedora. This thread should be folded into THIS one. Or this OTHER one...

Last edited:

emigran

Practically Family
Black fur felt center dent stingy brim... wide ribbon with colored feather tuft... freshman college 1966... I believe it was a Dobbs.... bought in Herald Square NYC ( forget the name of that famous shop)... have always worn a hat. Not always a fedora... since I joined here I have 7 "Art works" If I'm out of the house I have one on...

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My first fedora was one of the Temple of Doom-Stetson tie-ins in 1984 - the more expensive fur-felt version. Alas, I have no pictures and it's long gone. My modern fedora era started with a Stetson Temple in 2002, and has included several Akubras since then.

But though I was surprisingly late to get my first fedora, I was always a hat guy. I collected hats as a kid. The following images are from a school report I did in eighth grade, circa 1968:

man_about_town.jpg

local_politician.jpg

master_detective.jpg

Akubra Campdraft just last year:

Campdraft1.jpg

Mm25

One Too Many
My first fedora was one of the Temple of Doom-Stetson tie-ins in 1984 - the more expensive fur-felt version. Alas, I have no pictures and it's long gone. My modern fedora era started with a Stetson Temple in 2002, and has included several Akubras since then.

But though I was surprisingly late to get my first fedora, I was always a hat guy. I collected hats as a kid. The following images are from a school report I did in eighth grade, circa 1968:

man_about_town.jpg

local_politician.jpg

master_detective.jpg

Akubra Campdraft just last year:

Campdraft1.jpg
You wore those hats with a sweet rake all the way back to 68!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112