Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Share

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Today I was able to pick up this really cool booklet from 1943 called "Your Share, how to prepare appetizing, healthful meals with foods available today' published by Betty Crocker.

The intro, signed by Betty herself ;) is a gem, so I thought I would type it out for you all to read.

IMG_0672-1.jpg

"Hail to the women of America! You have taken up your heritage from the brave women of the past. Just as did the women of other wars, you have taken your positions as soldiers on the Home Front. You have been strengthening your country's defenses- as plane watchers- as flyers- as members of the armed forces- as producers, in war plants and homes- and in Red Cross and Civilian Defense activities. The efforts and accomplishments of women today are boundless!

But whatever else you do- you are, first and foremost, homemakers- women with the welfare of your families deepest in your hearts. Now you face a new and more difficult problem in the management of your homes. You must make a little do where there was an abundance before. In spite of sectional problems and shortages, you must prepare satisfying meals out of your share of what there is. You must heed the government request to increase the use of available foods, and save those that are scarce- and, at the same time, safeguard your family's nutrition. Never has there been such an opportunity, and a need, for what American women can contribute.

So to you women behind the men, behind the guns, we offer this little book, with its daily helps for wartime meal-planning and cooking. And we salute you all!

The booklet also came with two additional flyer type special menus.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I love that last picture. There's a war on, food is scare and you're living on rations...

...So here's how to make sure an unexpected guest is welcomed and fed properly!

This is the kind of solidly practical style the world seems so lacking in today.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I have this booklet too. Only mine didn't come with the fold out. :( And I am apparently missing pages 23-26. I like the little drawing on page 22 though. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto