Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your signature cocktail.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In celebration of the new subtitle change for this forum, Id like to know if y'all out there have a cocktail that you JUST have to start your night with. A regular, if you will. Did you make it up? Does your bar know your favorite swig?

Do tell.

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
When I was in New Orleans I got hooked on Voodoo dolls. No one here knows what I ask for, so...I have a friend that's crazier then I am, and she got me on a Hello Kitty martini...and I am NOT asking for it in public. Other wise, out of NO, and home, I ask for a cherry vodka sour.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I've never had a cocktail. I had a great martini on the Queen Mary, though. The Laurel and Hardy Watermelon Martini. mmm mmm.

Mojito

One Too Many
When I was in my late teens/early 20s it was daiquiries - classic, or - if feeling a little girlie - frozen. Then the South American classics. I like a Mojito if I have time...otherwise, lately I've found White Ladies easy to whip up at the end of a long day at work.

Elaina

One Too Many
I should add that when doing anything remotely historic (reenactments from civil war to the 20's) I do a mint julep.

Modernly, I have always had to either go out with men, for business or with friends and the CVS is hard enough I don't get guff and girly enough I don't drink the men under the table.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Being in the wine/liquor business, it all kind of gets demystified eventually. I go through cycles, but more and more I drink classic things, or certain liquors neat. And I never get tired of a Ketel Martini up with two olives.

But, if any beverage is associated with me personally, it would have to be Ducru-Beaucaillou. (Hence my name.) It's a wine I feel very passionately about and one that partly started my adventure into the wine business to begin with, so in a way, it's a wine that changed my life.

It tastes and smells like pink and red roses, leather, raspberries, and nutmeg. Especially when properly aged.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Oooo it sounds wonderful Beaucaillou I'll have to keep my eyes open to try it:) , my preferred drinks, when I do indulge are SoHo and seven, a sip or two of Macallan on occasion, and a french red wine called Les Rouliers, it's the only red wine I've had that doesn;t make me shiver unpleasantly.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A Perfect Manhattan, using Maker's Mark bourbon and Noilly Prat vermouth.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
CanadaDoll said:
Oooo it sounds wonderful Beaucaillou I'll have to keep my eyes open to try it:) , my preferred drinks, when I do indulge are SoHo and seven, a sip or two of Macallan on occasion, and a french red wine called Les Rouliers, it's the only red wine I've had that doesn;t make me shiver unpleasantly.

CanadaDoll,

That wine is made by a well known producer, Henri Bonneau. It is approx 80% Grenache, 20% Cinsault depending on the vintage.

Given that, if you'd like some other wine recommends, I would try other Southern French Rhone blends which are generally predominantly Grenache including wines from the Chateauneauf-du-Pape region. Also, the Languedoc-Roussillon region in France also deals with Grenache, so that may be of interest as well. You may also like higher quality, Cru Beaujolais, and even some Spanish Riojas, though they tend to be more robust examples of Grenache/Garnacha.

...sorry. it's my job to prescribe wine. it's hard to turn off...

Cheers!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Woo hoo! looks like I'll be gettin' festive for a while!lol
Thanks for the suggestions Beaucaillou, I'll be sure to try them, but not all at once.:D

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Well, while I most often enjoy scotch (neat), it's not a cocktail. In that category, my "normal" before dinner drink is a Nigroni. I like classic martini's - typically Tanqueray with two olives. And lately I've been making (and being asked to make) Mojito's quite a bit.

After having a tasty Sazerac in London, tho', I'm raring to try that a few more times.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
beaucaillou said:
...sorry. it's my job to prescribe wine. it's hard to turn off...

You should hear her describe wine in person -- she enters a wine trance and you have to throw sharp french fries at her to get her to snap out of it!

;)

Oh, I suppose my signature cocktail would be an Old Fashioned.

Matt

cookie

I'll Lock Up
O meu coctel favorido

Caipirinha... though don't ever drink that cachaca straight... that ain't a good drink!

The Brazilian Coquinho brandy made from coconuts is nice.

A good pisco ...Tom Collins etc

Mandarin Napoleon liqueur to be found at the Tahiti duty free.

Molinari white Sambucca.

A good Mojito like I had in Noosa recently in January.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Golden Cadillac - Besides being a classic cocktail with an awesome name, it's yummy to boot!

GOLDEN CADILLAC

ingredients:
• 2 dashes Galliano
• 1 oz. Cointreau or Triple Sec
• 1 oz. cream
‚Ä¢ 1 oz. white cr?®me de cacao

Mixing instructions:
Combine ingredients with crushed ice in a blender. Strain into a cocktail glass.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I don't drink often, so I am pretty ignorant about liquors and all the different drinks. On rare occasion I have a gimlet made with Bombay Sapphire. More frequently, I enjoy Rieslings made in the Rhine River Valley. They remind me of the wonderful summers I spent there with my parents tasting wine – my parents, not me, I was 12 :)

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
Not long ago I went to a historic venue for a cabaret-style concert--part of a series--and was surprised to recognize the bartender, whom I knew from another place but whom I hadn't seen for a few years. I waved hello & he signaled back for me not to order from the cocktail server, but to wait, because he had something he was going to send over to the table. It turned out to be a tray of sugar-rimmed Sidecars, which I had never actually encountered in real life before--if a vast, black-walled theater stage transformed with potted palms, Art Deco torcheres, pink-draped tables & pink-shaded candle lamps into an intimate 193Os nightclub can be considered "real life".

Part of the whole concept of the series was that the featured drinks & the decor at each concert in the series were chosen to go along with the performer's material, in this case, torchy inter-wars songs sung by a sexy, wisecracking blonde. Think Mae West without the hips.

Anyway, I'd never had a Sidecar before, and they were so good & so deceptively, wickedly smooth--and, too, so numerous, far more numerous in fact than they would have been had I been drinking my usual martinis--that by the end of the last set, I'm afraid the whole table was wasted. I can only hope that I was as discreet under the circumstances as William Powell would have been. But I doubt it.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Cacklewack said:
You should hear her describe wine in person -- she enters a wine trance and you have to throw sharp french fries at her to get her to snap out of it!

;)

Oh, I suppose my signature cocktail would be an Old Fashioned.

Matt

Ahem... those are pointy fries, I'll have you know.

I've always wanted to be an Old Fashioned drinker, just haven't gotten around to it.

Everyone really seems to have a particular signature cocktail, which is very neat to see.

I tend to change my cocktails with the seasons. A Winter cocktail to me is a Manhattan, while a Summer cocktail would be a Julep or Mojito. Does anyone else drink along seasonal lines? I always think it's like switching out your wardrobe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk