Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zasu 20s 30s Style Eight Panel Caps

YETI

A-List Customer
I noticed a seller recently selling them on ebay. The fabric selection is nice. They also look ok from the pics with a few discrepancies in design. Any loungers own one of these caps? What do you think of the style? I'd post a link but it's an active auction.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
They're made by John Reynolds or his brother, I'm not sure which. John is a friend: he's the terrifically talented, longtime guitarist and banjo player for Mora's Modern Rhythmists and others, as well has his own band. He really is ZaSu Pitts's grandson!

That said, I can't vouch for the quality and style of the caps, since I've never seen one 'in the flesh'.

YETI

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
They're made by John Reynolds or his brother, I'm not sure which. John is a friend: he's the terrifically talented, longtime guitarist and banjo player for Mora's Modern Rhythmists and others, as well has his own band. He really is ZaSu Pitts's grandson!

That said, I can't vouch for the quality and style of the caps, since I've never seen one 'in the flesh'.

Would this be them? It was an album cover from one of the auctions.
BYPqjSg2kKGrHgoH-DwEjlLlzbOWBKgew-K.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
That's them all right...I've played with John and own a clarinet sold to me by Ralph. I also have their album Blue Drag, which is great - an imaginative homage to pre-swing small group jazz (even an unimaginative one is rare).

YETI

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
That's them all right...I've played with John and own a clarinet sold to me by Ralph. I also have their album Blue Drag, which is great - an imaginative homage to pre-swing small group jazz (even an unimaginative one is rare).
I just checked them out on youtube. I like it. They remind me of this band from Japan who have a similar sound. I forgot their name though.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
YETI said:
I just checked them out on youtube. I like it. They remind me of this band from Japan who have a similar sound. I forgot their name though.
Yes, their approach is very Japanese - faithful to form and detail - yet somehow fresh and inviting in an American way. As a musician, I wonder how they reconcile those things; I never could.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Back to the caps-
Those look nice.
"Zasu" has been selling "WW2 German and Italian Army Caps",
for years- a seemingly inexhaustible supply of them, with the "disclaimer"-
"I believe this cap is an Italian postwar movie prop."
Claiming low grade history, on a seller-made modern repro?
or, IS there an inexhaustible supply of them..?

Maybe we will never know.

But these vintage style Newsboy caps look nice.

B
T

La Strada

New in Town
I had a cap that I bought from Zasu Caps last year and liked it very much but the fabric wasn't quit what I was looking for. Ralph suggested I send him a preferred material and after months of looking I came across a pair of nos thick wool pants from the 20's that seemed perfect. I sent Ralph the material and asked him to also sew in the original "United Garment Workers of America" union label that was sewn into the rear pocket. He also took step by step photos of the process (below) and used a vintage machine. Within the week I had the cap and I was amazed at it's craftsmanship of the work and sturdy presence and feel of the fabric. Needless to say I'm very pleased with this cap!
Nick
1205091716-1.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I saw John just this last Sunday (Jan 17th) and he was wearing one of these caps. It is John's brother who's making the caps... the cap John was wearing was very nice and I mistook it for vintage.

He said that his brother charges somewhere around $50. starting... if you want a leather sweatband it goes up from there... and that they are made on 20s period sewing machines! People who know of the Zasu brand send him vintage fabric to have their caps made from. I've seen just the one that John was wearing and I must say, they seem to be the best caps that have the best look about them!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
La Strada said:
I came across a pair of nos thick wool pants from the 20's that seemed perfect.
:eek: you cut a pair of NOS PANTS FROM THE 20s??? [bad] Good God man, I would be very careful of saying such things here... There are a good few who believe original 20s clothes shouldn't be used for other purposes other than their original intended use unless they are thrashed and can be salvaged for scraps... but, 1920s new old stock anything in perfect condition shouldn't be sacrificed for the fabric… Some places here in CA are selling NOS 20s-30s clothes in dirty damaged condition for $300. a pair! One can find vintage bolts of fabric if one knows where to look.:eusa_doh:

La Strada

New in Town
I hear you and generally would not consider it. They were very small boys pants that had a good amount of uneven fading and stains from storage and certainly not just sacrificed for the fabric.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
La Strada said:
I hear you and generally would not consider it. They were very small boys pants that had a good amount of uneven fading and stains from storage and certainly not just sacrificed for the fabric.

That's exactly what Vintage clothes are for, reusing the Fabric...I line my suits in Vintage Silk Bathrobe fabric...better my suit, then someone walking around their house. lol

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Yes, their approach is very Japanese - faithful to form and detail - yet somehow fresh and inviting in an American way. As a musician, I wonder how they reconcile those things; I never could.

You mean now you see where the Japanese get their style...The Rhythm Rascals Banjo player Lee floyd went and lived/worked in Japan awhile.
That Tight ensemble work is from working at Disneyworld and Disneyland for so many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21