Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper box location

bfrench

Familiar Face
Is there any practical reason for motorcycle type jackets to have the zippers near the center of the jacket when closed??

The same thing for vertical zippers - they always seem to close at the top.

I would have thought that the zippers closing at the top would have a tendency to fall open downward with movement.

77151650ce5c052e_Sunburst%20Breast%20Pocket-800.jpg

I've been thinking about that too but honestly, there's just no way a pocket zipper can get open on its own.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
it is autolock zipper, unless you pull the handle it should not slide down by itself, unless the jacket maker installed non locking zipper, or mechanism is broken.

autolock is locked when the slider being left alone, no need to manually flip the tab down to lock like on pants

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
A lot of vintage jackets have the pull on the outer side. I prefer the pull in the middle on my chest zip when closed.
I like chest zip close to the center too visually, but after experienced my slant chest pocket, it is much easier to have the chest zip close to the side, because opening zip requires more pulling and force than closing on slant pocket since it has to go slightly upward too, on the bike opening left slant pocket with left hand is tricky, and with right hand require some fiddling too long for the throttle, especially when the puller is dangling, so for the next one I have the chest zip close to the side, and with non dangling slider (much easier to guess the position)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff