Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper preference to replace Talon on Vanson Jacket

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Hi Guy's, lets talk zipper preference. The old Talon zipper on my Vanson Comet leather jacket is having some issues. I was thinking of replacing it but wanted to lounger advice, Riri, Talon, YKK, others? And what size would you use #6, #8 or stick with the Vanson #10 Giant size?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I would replace it with YKK, since they are dependable functional, easy to find, relatively cheaper, have quite a nice selection
but Riri does have a wider selection of puller style that can be mix and matched, if you have a dealer with a complete selection and would take this broken zipper event as a reason to personalized your jacket more, it would be a good option too.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Size 8/10 ( on a Vanson more 10 than 8) ...... Riri are amongst the finest modern zippers in the world and these are now my zipper of choice ..... but Talon are more In keeping with the Vanson Jacket. HTH

I've had Vanson replace two for me. One was a two-way zip for a long cafe racer and they used a YKK. The other was stamped Vanson, a one way with a plastic zipper box which I didn't care for that much.

Honestly, a good appropriately sized zip is all that matters on a Vanson. It's not some rare thing to coddle. My 2¢ - many jackets would require more thought and care, but a Vanson is a riding jacket so build it as such.

I agree with Butte... Send it to Vanson. The repair lead is Nicole. She's a bit slow to respond to emails but they turned both my jackets around in about a week and parts plus labor was $50. That was awhile ago but I can't imagine the cost has increased all that much if at all.

IXL

One Too Many
Certainly wouldn't stick a YKK on it. I think that would damage it's resale value.

My Vanson Comet, purchased new, was supplied with a YKK #10 zipper. It never occurred to me that having a factory-made jacket featuring a factory-supplied zipper could damage it's value in any way. It's one helluva riding jacket. Or would the poorer resale value only affect those jackets originally supplied with other-branded zippers, such as the Rirri?

Also, I believe Insurrection Leather/Thurston Bros. will replace zippers.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go with either Riri or Talon based on your opinions. As for the size I looked at some of my riding leathers and jackets only my Vanson's have the Supersize #10. I noticed that Vanson used Riri's on some HH jackets at some point, I wonder if they were special order.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of zippers and Vanson jackets......I noticed on my new model B, the left inside wrist area has minor scrapes and marks on it. They weren't there when I received the jacket so I must be responsible for them. The only thing I can think of is that my wrist rubs against the zipper at some point while wearing it or taking it off. I noticed on my Schott CR there is an extra bit of a leather flap covering the length of the zipper. The Vanson zipper is exposed and is a SHARP SUCKER!!! Anyone else notice this on there jackets?

Speaking of zippers and Vanson jackets......I noticed on my new model B, the left inside wrist area has minor scrapes and marks on it. They weren't there when I received the jacket so I must be responsible for them. The only thing I can think of is that my wrist rubs against the zipper at some point while wearing it or taking it off. I noticed on my Schott CR there is an extra bit of a leather flap covering the length of the zipper. The Vanson zipper is exposed and is a SHARP SUCKER!!! Anyone else notice this on there jackets?
I can say my Vanson E has indentations on the wrist gusset from closing the wrist zip. Vanson sleeves zip up SUPER tight at the wrist and the exposed zipper certainly does ghost the leather behind it. Mine is all kind of scratched up though and I'm not sure if it was the zippers fault or not. Fortunately with that hide you need not worry about surface scratches. You'd need some serious force with a box cutter to do any real damage!

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I can say my Vanson E has indentations on the wrist gusset from closing the wrist zip. Vanson sleeves zip up SUPER tight at the wrist and the exposed zipper certainly does ghost the leather behind it. Mine is all kind of scratched up though and I'm not sure if it was the zippers fault or not. Fortunately with that hide you need not worry about surface scratches. You'd need some serious force with a box cutter to do any real damage!
This has been bothering me for 2 weeks now. How the hell could I get these marks and the finish removed on the left wrist? Then it came to me.....I was out ridin' a couple weeks ago and stopped at a trendy coffee shop. I took the coffee outside and while I was drinking it and hanging around ( looking real cool ) I decided to take some pics. I hung my new Model B over the end of the handlebars not realizing the wrist was touching the HOT PIPES!!...... SUCKS!!!

JVanBro

Familiar Face
I have a Schott 118 that has a marked area behind the collar about the size of a coin. I figured out it is from someone laying it over a seat or tank and onto hot pipes. I figure it shows the jacket was worn and used by a real biker and not just around town for show.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The Vanson branded two-way zip on my Vanson simply sucks. Possibly the most dysfunctional zip ever. Someone here said it eases up so it's not a definitive suck. But it just doesn't slide.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
The Vanson branded two-way zip on my Vanson simply sucks. Possibly the most dysfunctional zip ever. Someone here said it eases up so it's not a definitive suck. But it just doesn't slide.
The zipper on my Vanson is a little ruff too..............I think its not lined up perfectly or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk