Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zoinks, shipping damage, now what?

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Received my Campdraft Deluxe in Moonstone today. Unfortunately the hat must have been pressed down onto the cardboard support tube long and hard. This is what I saw. There was a rubbed up ring in the felt all the way around the crown. In some places it was burnished to a shine. On the underside it actually bent the crown creating a crease where it should be flat (second image).

I would like some advice on what to do about this. Is this serious enough to be grounds for a return? How much work would it be to work it out, if that's even possible? Why are hat shipping systems so bad at protecting the hat? Any guidance would be appreciated.

It would be nice to have the right flange handy.

I wouldn't recommend sending it back, and I wouldn't recommend not sending it back. I'd have to see a little more than the photos have shown me to have an opinion on that either way.

Got a picture of the interior of the shipping box? I'm curious about that. I've seen the rings from which hats are suspended within hatboxes leave compression marks on the topsides of brims. I avoid that by wrapping the hat in plastic bags before resting it in the box.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
The box's top and bottom panels were indented but not crushed. Here is a photo of the hat holding assembly. I've spread the plastic to it's full extent to show that it would at least start out covering the cardboard tube. But, I suspect some shifting would quickly cause it to gather under the crown as there isn't very much overlap. Penny foolish for such cheap insurance. The second image shows the entirety of the hat from a 3/4 angle. I love the construction and the color, but this damage really, really irks me. I've applied a color levels correction to make the plastic more visible.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Sad to see on a new hat! The box must not be up to the job or do you think that it was just crushed?

I would share these photos with HD and let them know of your experience. They will likely ask you to eat the return shipping and then they will send another CD to you or press that one out on the flange.

As another option, you might consider wetting it very well and pressing out the crease. It is an Akubra and should ounce right back.

Good luck either way!

Fed

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Thanks Fed. I have an email out to HD as we speak.

The box wasn't truly crushed as in losing its fundamental shape or integrity. It seems more like heavy boxy things were laid on it and uniformly indented the top and bottom surfaces. You can see a bit of the curling over of the front edge of the box in the last photo.

I don't have too much of a problem trying to smooth out creases. But it's the hard-edged little moat that I'm worried about. I wouldn't even know where to begin working out burnished spots. I would use steam and a nylon brush, but then I worry about causing damage to the sweatband. Decisions, decisions.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Talk to the company and see what they will do first. Take it from there. Nice hat, sad to see it like that. Let us know how it goes.
Johnny

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Send the hat back. After they send you a new one in perfect condition. The seller is responsible for freight in this case.

Good luck with that. Please post the answer. I was told that the return was on me for a defective hat. Maybe shipping damages are not handled the same way.

On the other hand - lots of water should take out the crease and not harm an Akubra. I have wet my CDs to shape them and also had them get wet in the rain many times. No big deal. Unless the felt is really damaged, soak it and reshape it as needed. Not ideal for a new hat, but if it were mine, I would give it a try.

Fed

RJR

See what HD says but I likely would try FIF's method if it were mine rather than send it back.

ingineer

One Too Many
Did they forget the little piece of foam that my most current delivery had on it?
no sign of this from HD this shipment
This eliminated last years CD that had some of that burnishing in the felt.
Rain, steam, brushing have mostly dissipated the impression on the CD

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
I heard back from Trudi. She offered to take a return or to refund a portion of the cost. Friendly and gracious. I accepted a little credit back on the hat and have been putting in some steam and muscle to get the Campdraft into fighting form. Thus far about an hour and a half in of intermittent work, it's coming back nicely. I have been able to get much of the burnishing out with steam and a gumline cleaning brush with stiff bristles. I have managed to flatten out most of the creasing in the brim but I will tell you guys this: without a flange, it is really difficult to get a uniform brim shape.

I'm very happy that I've been able to keep this hat and learn a little in the process. I'm happy with HatsDirect and will be looking to order again.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I heard back from Trudi. She offered to take a return or to refund a portion of the cost. Friendly and gracious. I accepted a little credit back on the hat and have been putting in some steam and muscle to get the Campdraft into fighting form. Thus far about an hour and a half in of intermittent work, it's coming back nicely. I have been able to get much of the burnishing out with steam and a gumline cleaning brush with stiff bristles. I have managed to flatten out most of the creasing in the brim but I will tell you guys this: without a flange, it is really difficult to get a uniform brim shape.

I'm very happy that I've been able to keep this hat and learn a little in the process. I'm happy with HatsDirect and will be looking to order again.

I'm glad to hear that. Been following your dilemma. Encouraging to see Hats Direct has been flexible. I've been emailing back n forth w Naomi at Hats Direct, who has been kind enuff to send multiple pics of their Fed Deluxe. Am considering doing biz w them on that hat.Good to kno they'll work w customers if probs arise.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Thought you guys might like to see how it's coming along. Plenty of steam and brushing have rendered the hat quite acceptable. I'm pleased and I really enjoy the hand of the felt. Overall, I'm positive. Apologies for the lint on the brim. I've been wearing it quite a bit the last few days. I think it needs a new, wider ribbon, though. Another skill to explore!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thought you guys might like to see how it's coming along. Plenty of steam and brushing have rendered the hat quite acceptable. I'm pleased and I really enjoy the hand of the felt. Overall, I'm positive. Apologies for the lint on the brim. I've been wearing it quite a bit the last few days. I think it needs a new, wider ribbon, though. Another skill to explore!

Well now that sure looks super good to me!

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kind remarks. I gave it a little "Bloom" filter in GraphicConverter when I was cropping it. It applies a bright sort of Vaseline haze to give it a bit of a glow. I don't usually Instagram but it seemed fun here. Cheers!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind remarks. I gave it a little "Bloom" filter in GraphicConverter when I was cropping it. It applies a bright sort of Vaseline haze to give it a bit of a glow. I don't usually Instagram but it seemed fun here. Cheers!

Your wlcm. Regardless, its still very nice. I got that exact same hat abt 3 weeks ago. Wrinkles/crinkles/creases, all over the bash and rebash... finally after abt 8x's w the tea kettle and 3 fine mist saturations the telescope bash smoothed out and looks really decent.

-30-

A-List Customer
" I got that exact same hat abt 3 weeks ago. Wrinkles/crinkles/creases, all over the bash and rebash "
Bob Roberts.

Some dealers are too stupid to "get it"; they would seemingly rather give it to their customers.

Regards,
J T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider