Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zoot suit anyone seen this?

shamus

Suspended
I just picked up "Zoot Suit" a 1981 screenplay that was in the used book section of a local thrift store. Anyone seen this film? I don't really remember it.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I saw the movie some time ago.
It is based on the Zoot Suit Riots and the Sleepy Lagoon Murders.
Edward James Almos plays a "spirit" of sorts.
If I recall correctly part of it was filmed like a movie and part like a play with an audience. I'm sure this is of no help to you but you might as well check out the movie if you enjoyed the screenplay.

As always,
The Wolf

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
You know,
I really wanted to like this movie. I'd heard about it for years. I like Edward James Olmos, he'an intense, smart actor whom I always buy as the charactor he's playing. It aired on our local PBS affiliate (the evil channel 13) a few years ago and boy was it a letdown. Whereas I was expecting grit and realism, it was just crammed with pretension and "art". Perhaps it picked up later on through the film, but I bailed out after 35 minutes.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Shamus,

The film was based on a play by Luis Valdez, and was made to capture the play on film more than to transorm it. Low budget, very theatrical. Do you have the screenplay or the play script? Either way, it won't take long to read it. If you're interested, there are a lot of good books that use the Zoot Suit Riots as part of, or the main part of their content, including James Ellroy's Black Dahlia.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
Just got to see it a few months ago......it does have a great theatrical flair where it moves in and out of movie and play with big show numbers......music was kool as well as the feel (at least for me)........I enjoyed it but can see how many wouldn't.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ