Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zoot suiters (pachuco)

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
my hubby is open to dressing vintage w/ me but wants to be true to himself and if we had actually lived in the 1940s he would have definately been a zoot suiter or pachuco. so any tips? we know the zoot suit obviously but what other more day to day items can he wear?;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
If he doesn't want to go full on zoot suit, a good bet would be gabardine slacks and shirts. For a great traditional vato look, go with gabardine shirts in great colors with the neck buttoned up and no tie. or even with high waisted slacks, wife beater t, and top button buttoned. You can do this with plaid shirts too.

there might be some risk of looking like a gangster maybe. I don't know if this look is still around amongst that crowd.

Pair it with a slicked up and back pompadour and high waisted baggies (baggy gabardine slacks) and you have a cool look.

This was popular in the 70s even, but with long hair sometimes and a stingy brim with the brim down in back as well as front. or with a goatee. Think, low rider magazine imagery. Also, yoou can go with gabardine shirts and hand painted ties.

if he wants a good look, but not so vato, just go with california style sportswear such as two tone jackets etc.

I think resortes is a great example of how to capture a cool uniquely Latino American in LA look.

There is a large population of Mexican and other latinos in the LA area. They are on the edge of the rockabilly scene, but more into r and b, 50s rock and roll, etc. They dress real sharp, heavily influenced by their counterparts from the 50s. Seek them out for both a fun scene, and great style.

Whatever you do, please do not let him buy a tacky, gaudy, baggy new zoot suit. No offense to any owners, but, even though these are supposedly doone afte originals, and even though they are worn in the latino community, they are not really much of a way to get a cool authentic zoot suit or pachuco look.

It is possible to recreate the look by doing what most of those guys did. Buy some 50s ski pants, which is what I used to do, and modify the bottom.

to have cuffs, or buy some large slacks and take them in and peg them. then buy a jacket that is quite big and long, and have a tailor take it in. Double breasted is best for an authentic look. I wouldn't do a whole suit as it will be expensive, and be ruined for anything else. Or, find a long single or double breasted jacket that has a desired cut, single or double breasted

Or, if you have the money, seek out one of the better makers such as George of la Bomba if hee is still around.

Then pair it with a l wide brimmed vintage hat, try finding a vintage cowboy hat. Put a feather in the band that sticks out about a foot.

get a long watch chain.

Put it over a gabardine shirt and flashy tie or no tie, use suspenders to pull the pants up to the ribcage.

Look to the thread of authentic pictures for inspiration.

Watch the movie Zoot suit for inspiration, but not exactly for accurate costuming.

Find either some flashy two toned or black pointy toed shoes, preferably vintage, or, use heavy solid brouges with heavy clunky soles. this was actually a popular choice for latinos. Think 40s work shoes that almost seemed to anchor them to the floor.

then take up dancing, but stand in one place and spin and turn the woman around, letting her do all the movement. At the same time, just swivel the hips to the music, occasionally jumping to another spot with the music.

And Viola, instant pachuco.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Oh, and for day, baggies, or zoot pants with a wife beater, try and find one that is thicker and reproduces a vintage look, with suspenders over it.

cool look, but again, you run the risk of offending some people or maybe even being mistaken for a gang member. better ask some LA area guys on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ