Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zootshooting

VintageRed

Familiar Face
LOL, I thoroughly enjoyed that video. Watching everyone run around gangster style was quite entertaining.

Though, aren't Tommy Guns illegal? Fun to watch nevertheless.

Thank you for sharing!

~D.

Jerekson

One Too Many
The whole "Zoot-suit" thing was absolutely ridiculous, but those were some nice fiirearms, and those guys really knew how to use them.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
VintageRed said:
LOL, I thoroughly enjoyed that video. Watching everyone run around gangster style was quite entertaining.

Though, aren't Tommy Guns illegal? Fun to watch nevertheless.

Thank you for sharing!

~D.
They're not illegal to own. They're just taxed and regulated.

I agree, Zootshooting is a neat idea. I hope to see them get more historically accurate with the clothes, too.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
That is pretty cool. But some better clothes and music would be even better. I guess we all have to deal with the difference between our conception if the era and popular interpretation.

Shovelhead

New in Town
DBLIII said:
The price of a Thompson would be painful, not to mention feeding it!
.45 cal ammunition has doubled in the last couple of years. I used to shoot a 1911A1 in a PPC league, it ran me about thirty bucks a night before the jump in prices. 50 rounds of the Remington green box or the Winchester White Box (both REAL cheap stuff is over twenty bucks today. So sixty bucks a night, bye bye league.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
Pretty cool.

Condition 3 1911's? Ugh... guess it takes all kinds.

Plus, no one had a Winchester Mod. 12, or Browning A5 shotgun to bring? Too bad!

Still great idea!!! If anyone wants to try to get something like that going in Seattle, let me know. I have modern built versions of about every gangster era gun you can think of. (.38 super 1911, semi-auto Thompson, mod 12's the works)

Ms. VintageRed, it's a lot more complicated than a blanket "legal/illegal". To lawfully own a full-auto Thompson (a long-barrel semiauto's okay except in states with an "Ugly Guns Ban" aka "Assault Weapons Ban"), all of the following must be true:
1. It must have been manufactured and first registered with ATF (the dreaded "Form 4" $200 tax-stamp) prior to May 1986, when the Registry was closed.
2. You must have a Form 4 registration for it, which has to be approved before you pick it up.
3. It must be legal to own in your state of residence (30-some states are still only banning "offensive/aggressive possession", rather than all ownership; alas, mine's not one)

Interesting looking sport--too bad there's no way to make a range safe so that something like this can allow shoulder-holsters or crossdraws...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Zohar said:
I hope to see them get more historically accurate with the clothes, too.

Except that you would never want to shoot wearing vintage clothing. Shooting gets you dirty and deposits lead dust in your clothes. You would have to have those clothes cleaned after every time you wore them shooting. Not the kind of wear and tear I'd want to put my vintage through!

Story

I'll Lock Up
They have their own website - www.zootshooters.com

Remember, folks - it's a nascient effort. Journey of a thousand miles, single step... Rome, one day.. yadda yadda yadda

Bugsy on the firing line, with his R.S.O. Rocky.
Rocky_and_Mugsy.jpg

VintageRed

Familiar Face
Diamondback said:
Ms. VintageRed, it's a lot more complicated than a blanket "legal/illegal".

Thank you sir, for your explanation as well. Someone else was kind enough to shoot me (excuse the pun) a PM with similar information. I feel much more knowledgeable now. :)

On an aside, I do love your sig phrase. I'll have to keep that one in mind.
:D

~Red

Story

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Except that you would never want to shoot wearing vintage clothing. Shooting gets you dirty and deposits lead dust in your clothes. You would have to have those clothes cleaned after every time you wore them shooting. Not the kind of wear and tear I'd want to put my vintage through!

Good point, although might the outdoor conditions reduce that problem significantly?

Or, you can just dress like Fred C. Dobbs (I suggested they have a Treasure of Sierra Madre 'caper', with .38 double action revolvers and lever action rifles).
TreasureoftheSierraMadreHumphrey2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider