Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
Is your nylon a 1950s original (or Buzz Rickson’s repro thereof)? Later batches, both military and civilian, use a much lighter nylon and are constructed differently.

Five Star’s MA-1 pattern is based on those originals that a flight jacket collector sent them to study.
No, it's definitely a fashion style reproduction, far from authentic. I've had an authentic styled reproduction in the past and it was much bigger all round

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
Yes the sizing is generally wider to fit over a flight suit. But I asked because you won’t see the shoulder fit on the later versions.
Ah, i see, that makes sense. Im less worried about the shoulder, as I think it will improve as the jacket wears. I can get my tailor to resolve that, and take in the waist which is a little boxy for my taste.

Unless they want me to return the jacket for a full refund, then I will have to make a choice.

Im currently hanging it in the closet until I hear back from Shawn and Fargham on what they will do. So far, no response, but it has only been 12hrs. Ill give em a few days to reply before I start talking to my CC company.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks like cigarette burn mark. And I can see it now in the low res QC photos which is even worse as it got all the way through to the final measure stage... QC could have picked it out much sooner, after cutting before machining. I would have been ok with the burn mark in less noticeable spots for this price range but not front and center. This would be one of the strongest return and refund case in this thread imo. This is quite unfortunate as there were a couple good jackets before yours and it was your b-day but the odds were against your jacket...

The square shoulders also does not work with the bomber jackets. But I suspect this was from the early build a bear era from this thread. While I think square shoulders works with racers and half belts, bombers needs the bomber cut where the sleeves go into the shoulder at a much wider angle.
IMG_5389.JPG

Even my fashion bombers are not square shoulder, and I think Shawn's civilian bomber pattern could get an overhaul, toss the old square shoulder and update it to something like these,
IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_5491.JPG

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
Looks like cigarette burn mark. And I can see it now in the low res QC photos which is even worse as it got all the way through to the final measure stage... QC could have picked it out much sooner, after cutting before machining. I would have been ok with the burn mark in less noticeable spots for this price range but not front and center. This would be one of the strongest return and refund case in this thread imo. This is quite unfortunate as there were a couple good jackets before yours and it was your b-day but the odds were against your jacket...

The square shoulders also does not work with the bomber jackets. But I suspect this was from the early build a bear era from this thread. While I think square shoulders works with racers and half belts, bombers needs the bomber cut where the sleeves go into the shoulder at a much wider angle.

Even my fashion bombers are not square shoulder, and I think Shawn's civilian bomber pattern could get an overhaul, toss the old square shoulder and update it to something like these,
View attachment 620791
What is this jacket? That looks pretty nice from the back at least. lol

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What is this jacket? That looks pretty nice from the back at least. lol
The leather non hoodie one is Johnson Leather's M-100 in their house horsehide.

The leather hoodie is Roots Canada! They have a non hoodie version. Highly recommend, especially during their two major sales. Made in Ontario, Italian full grain naked cowhide, best bang for the buck imo.

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
The leather non hoodie one is Johnson Leather's M-100 in their house horsehide.

The leather hoodie is Roots Canada! They have a non hoodie version. Highly recommend, especially during their two major sales. Made in Ontario, Italian full grain naked cowhide, best bang for the buck imo.
Ah, safe to assume the JL one was big bucks then. Hence why it looks so good. lol

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Ah, safe to assume the JL one was big bucks then. Hence why it looks so good. lol
A custom JL is in the Aero price range. A stock one much less. They do have a sale on stock jackets now and is worth to call to find out if they've got a bomber in your size on the sale rack. It's also worth to take a look at Golden Bear for stock jackets, they also make very good bomber jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart