Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Well, my wife got to the package before me and was sure it contained multiple hats as it was a heavy duty 20x20x20 box that weighed over 5 lbs. She watched me unwrap the hat from many many taped layers of bubble wrap and burst out laughing when the beauty was finally revealed. I hope other collectors here don’t have to endure that sort of treatment from loved ones :).

The good news is the seller paid for shipping and I’m only in for $40. The hat is in perfect condition and the 5x Beaver is very nice and feels like it will be workable. Sadly, the hat is too small for me but I’m sure it will offer tons of enjoyment in shaping experimentation.

View attachment 615818
Hopefully, it will fit your wife then she'll have the hat-bug. Win-win :)

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Good afternoon gents!

I received my Stetsons today. Two days early mind you. A brief report on them.
329550.jpg

The Shantung Gambler's hat I'm on the fence about. The hat comes in S, M, L, XL. I typically wear a 7 1/4 or 58. I ordered the large which starts at 7 1/4. It's expectedly big but some spacers will make it fit well. Feels cheapish, but is very light. It is not a stiff brim, but not floppy. I rather like that. I don't care for the bash. I plan on reshaping it or having it reshaped. The hat band is absolute garbage. I will be replacing it and will not wear it until I do. I'm actually embarrassed looking at it. I'm not completely happy but not disappointed. For what I wanted it for it works.

The Stetson Madrigal pork pie however is a different story.
Stetson_Madrigal_Coconut_Braid_Gadabout_Hat_HatsUnlimited.com_Hats_Unlimited_HU2690_Brown_Stoc...jpg

This one I'm happy with. Coconut material is well done, sweat is a padded cloth and I very much like the pug band. Like the other it comes in S, M, L, and XL. I ordered the large which is a little big but I can use some spacers to make it fit. Very light and comfortable. Brim is soft but due to the snap brim it holds shape very well. Snapped up it disappears and you'd hardly know it was there. Snapped down and it provides excellent shade. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a similar hat.

Both hats were made in Mexico however the weaving was clean and very few loose ends. For what I paid they are great, especially the Pork Pie. I need to get some spacer material to make them fit a bit firmer but I expected that. I plan on wearing the pork pie tomorrow with a linen shirt and chinos for a casual but classic summertime look.

RickP

One of the Regulars
Back in 1975 I spent a summer of temporary duty at the Rifle range at Quantico, Va helping familiarize young potential Officer types with things that went bang. A buddy of mine loaned me one of his pressed fiber sun helmets while I was there. (Temperatures and sun in virginia can be brutal in the summer) I had a phone conversation with him a few days ago and he said he still had two .....and hes sending me one! Should make a good hot weather lawn mowing hat for an old marine... Already dug out an old Eagle/ Globe/Anchor Barracks hat emblem to stick on it...Cant wait to get it and will definately throw some pictures on here. A bit different from my other hats but still cool.. Till its here, I thought Id throw out a pic of my old utility cover

Attachments

• Compress_20240601_200717_7357.jpg
    Compress_20240601_200717_7357.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace