Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot review

Fifty150

One Too Many
Here they are, in their natural habitat. Red tile floor just like the dish washing station of a Panda Express.

IMG_20231019_130256937~2.jpg
IMG_20231019_130322703~2.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
I am impressed. These are good boots if you don't mind the Ram trucks logo and tag which declares that it is officially licensed by Fiat Chrysler. In my world, nobody will see or notice that logo. Leather lined with a half sock liner. Gusseted tongue. Horween leather. And an additional $30 + change rebate/refund which was credited to my account even before the shoes came to my door. Worth it for the final sale price of $112 plus tax.

IMG_20231101_184107682.jpg

IMG_20231101_184004492.jpg

IMG_20231101_183905183.jpg

IMG_20231101_181851799.jpg

IMG_20231101_181801921.jpg

IMG_20231101_181831794.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
I need another pair of boots like I need more tools, more leather jackets, more knives, more guns, more wheels....... Yes. Wheels. Car. Truck. Van. Motorcycle. Bicycle. Scooter. Skateboard. Bus Pass. It never ends. As if I don't already own a wrench in every SAE & Metric size, I then get the ratcheting, the offset, the long handle....... And now I get another pair of boots.

I just couldn't resist. The price was right. I know, that in 10 years, I'll look back and I'll be glad that I bought these boots at this price. Same way I can look back, and I'm glad that I bought my first 1000 Mile Boots at around $100, maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

Never, ever, pay full price for Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots. Just wait. You'll get them at a discount when there's a sale. You will find a coupon code.

Here they are. On Sale! Then I searched the interwebs and found coupons. Another 15% off. Then another $15 off at checkout. And then I'll get 3.5% back from the electronic payment.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 20.50.58.png
Screenshot 2024-05-26 19.50.11.png

DanielPetmr

New in Town
I recently purchased a pair of the new Wolverine 1000 Mile boots and thought I’d share my thoughts, impressions, and verdict in case anyone is interested. Of course, all the opinions expressed are just my opinions. I have no affiliation to Wolverine or to any competitor. This is just my own take on the shoes.

The boots come in a sturdy nicely designed box which I appreciate. When I opened the box, I could immediately smell a waft of good leather scent. Upon further inspection, the colour of the boots are outstanding. I got them in brown. It’s a rich, dark brown with a slight tinge of “ox blood” colour to them. The colour is not nearly as burgundy as the dark cherry brown found on Red Wings’ Gentleman Traveler boots. I must say, the colour on the 1000 Mile boots is one of the most impressive I’ve seen… goes well with either jeans or khakis.

The leather thickness of the boot is solid and feels like it could take a beating. The stitching affixing the upper to the sole is well done also. The interior leather of the boot is of the split kind, not top grain. I sort of expected top grain on the inside. I’m not an expert on boots. Is split grain better or worse for the inside of a shoe/boot or does it matter? The boots felt lighter on my feet than I expected. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it See Services. Another ounce or so might have made me feel that I was wearing a more substantial boot. Then again, I might thank Wolverine if I had to walk a big chunk out of those 1000 miles on any given day.

The sole is leather and reasonably thick, while the heel is rubber. I would expect the sole to last quite a long time. I liked the look of the sole.

The toe area is somewhat less bulbous than, say, the Red Wing GTs although I wouldn’t call it extraordinarily stylish by any means. The Wolverine’s appear to be of a rather generic style and while I sort of expected this, I was also hoping that I’d be surprised somehow by some subtle stylishness in shape. The toe of the boot basically looks like a big thumb. While I suppose this is expected of an authentic retro work boot, it nevertheless isn’t the ideal for me personally. While guys might be impressed with the look and style of the boot, I imagine women may "ho hum" over it. Then again, do men understand women and vice versa anyway??

The only meaningful drawback for me with these boots was the fit (a bit too much play in the heel area) and the fact that there was a small defect along the top rim of one of the boots. There appeared to be some separation of leather layers there cause by, I think, lack of proper gluing. In fact, there were even a couple of pin holes where I could see light coming through and I could imagine, over time, this area would eventually give way to tearing. Ultimately, after shelling out over $350 (with taxes and shipping), I felt these boots had to go back. I just couldn’t see spending that much and not have things just right. Ah, the perils of purchasing goods without trying them on first!

Verdict: Overall , I think Wolverine has a very good product here. The question becomes one of value in my opinion. The leather appears to be of a high quality. Aside from the small defect I pointed out above, the workmanship appears to be very good. The boots have a rather generic style (which some may or may not prefer), but this is surely a function of the fact that they were intended to be a re- introduction of an old classic model. Whether you feel the $325+ price tag is worth it is up to you. For me, everything has to go right at this price. If I run into a situation where I can find the right fit at a good price, maybe I’ll go for it. Until then, my search for that perfect boot continues. I hope this helps anyone out there considering these boots.

Cheers,
IndianaGeo
I've got some Indy 405s, and 3 pair of AEs, including some shell longwings. I think I'd like anopther pair of boots and have me eye on the Wolvering 1000 mile line.

1. What are your general impressions of them?
2. How is the fit? True? Big? Small?

With my AEs all three pair are generally tru to my normal 11.5 size. With my 405s it was recommended that I go 1/2 size down to 11 and that turned out to be a good decision.

Thanks in advance,

Fifty150

One Too Many
1. What are your general impressions of them?
2. How is the fit? True? Big? Small?

General impressions are that it is a well built shoe, using decent components.

On my foot, the shoe fits to my Brannock size.

With Allen Edmonds, I buy my Brannock size, but fit varies depending on the model and last. If the shoe was built on Allen Edmonds 65 last, it is a bit narrow, and longer. The shoe will be a little bit tighter, and the toes a little bit longer than I need. But not so dramatic that I need to size down, or wider. I could be wrong, but each half size up or down is only 1/8" or so. On most shoes, I could wear my Brannock size, or a half size down, and it's fine because no shoe is built for your toes to hit the end of the shoe. As for width, the Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots are a D or medium. In comparison, the fit is very much like my Alden Indy 403. My stitchdown construction shoes all fit wider with a roomier toe box, as stitchdown construction is usually a wide fit.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Here is the cap toe I just bought. The biggest differences are the 360 Goodyear welt, and Vibram soles. Other than that, the cap toe is just an aesthetic difference. I don't know if it's a "real" cap toe, or just a cosmetic cap toe where two pieces of leather are sewn together to create the illusion. Here they are, out of the box, with a fresh coat of oil, and next to the original, brushed and ready for wear.

IMG_20240601_141308712~2.jpg
IMG_20240601_141941759~2.jpg

IMG_20240601_141654516~2.jpg
IMG_20240601_145702959~2.jpg
IMG_20240601_144522422~2.jpg
IMG_20240601_232758250~3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace