Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
You did, and I never expressed my gratitude for that, for which I apologise. For what its worth I did in fact look at the links you sent but none of them were suitable.

Lol how is it far from a police jacket? I just don't get it, maybe there is something I'm not seeing. Side warmer pockets, chest pockets and epaulettes on a mid length jacket with some kind of action back that isn't a half belt. That's essentially what I described and that's essentially what a police jacket is.

Everyone? No, I'd say only you have tried to be helpful, and Canuck Panda. Apologies if I took some of my anger at you - I should probably have directed it at MrProper in the first place.

It's not a "bizarre mix of elements" if police jackets already have epaulettes, already have have side warmer pockets and already have chest pockets. Oh and they don't tend to be half belts but have action backs, frequently shoulder gussets.

I haven't been condescending - you have all been condescending to me. You insist on calling my idea a Frankenjacket and a bizarre mix of elements that doesn't work together, when the very thing that I described actually exists in mass numbers. Come on, that's rude, and you should know better. Chest patch pockets vs chest cargo pockets is splitting hairs - find me a man on the street who would know the difference.

This is the Fedora Lounge, not vintageleatherjackets.org. On vintageleatherjackets.org, I'd expect people to be up in arms about a jacket that has military elements but is not in fact military nor accurate to any historical military jacket. I'd expect people on the Fedora Lounge to look at form and function over historical accuracy, which is why I'm surprised chest patch pockets vs chest cargo pockets is such a big deal.

A Frankenjacket is no longer a Frankenjacket when it has been manufactured by Aero and Vanson at the very least and in use in many police departments in the USA. Come on! This isn't rocket science. The silhouette of the jacket that I described is visually very similar to a police jacket, which exists in large numbers all around the world, and consequently, what I described is not a franken jacket.

No need to lock the thread - I'll bow myself out and not post again. Some members have been helpful - thank you for that. A lot of you have been incredibly elitist and patronizing. You're not welcoming people into this hobby, you're driving them away from it. The mere fact you think we should not talk about FS leather is concerning. Not good enough for the denizens of FL? Not elitist enough? No differences of opinion allowed?

I probably won't order from FS if you're curious, so don't treat this like I've got some incredible drive to give FS my money. But I think they have their place in the market and I think people should be free to make their own decisions. Advice is appreciated, condescension like from MrProper is not.

I've seen a lot of custom jacket threads on FL and I've never once seen such elitism and condescension directed at someone's idea for a custom leather jacket. Especially when, as it turns out, what the person describes actually exists today. Again, find me a normal man who could tell the difference between what I described and a police jacket.
Idk where you’re picking up all this condescension from.

Everyone telling you to stay away from 5* and recommending better makers =/= condescension

You sound like you have no experience with customs or stock jackets for that matter. The guys here who do still have low odds of being happy with their purchase.

Somehow I don’t not think your odds are any better. The proverbial house (5*) always wins.

mysternee

New in Town
Never in a million years would I imagine you being cast as the villain in any exchange here on the lounge. I find your posts to be concise, constructive, and almost uniformly positive.

Same. In my time lurking and posting here I've found @MrProper 's many posts not only invaluable, but measured and polite, and I've never seen him rain on anyone's parade. I think in this case his being forthright and frank about the likely outcome is being mistaken for hostility or criticism. Again, most people on here just want other people to put on jackets they love.

Speaking of! I'd love to hear from @KBlake and how he's enjoying his new half-belt now that it's equipped with whatever ancient sleeve technology was previously being hidden by the illuminati.

Observe

One Too Many
Speaking of! I'd love to hear from @KBlake and how he's enjoying his new half-belt now that it's equipped with whatever ancient sleeve technology was previously being hidden by the ililluminati.
I too would like to know how they unlocked the curved sleeve tech. My 5* jacket definitely doesn't have curved sleeves but they've kinda gone that way a bit through wear.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
As I already mentioned, I am very happy with my “Trojan Style” leather jacket from 5*. But I was also lucky enough to have a good template with my Protech. As I also mentioned, it is quite possible, provided you have done your homework, 5* Star is able to deliver a good product. Speaking for my Trojan, the Seal Cowhide leather is consistent throughout and really heavy. The sleeves also have the same curve as the Protech. The repro Talon hardware, the lining, the seam stitch etc. are also impressive. In terms of price/quality, there is nothing to complain about here either. Every time I put the jacket on I have a really good feeling and feel comfortable in the jacket.

5Star_Trojan_Front.jpg

5Star_Trojan_Back.jpg

5Star_Trojan_FitPic.jpg

Sidenote: @KBlake has done with his 5* Whisky HH Jacket everything right too.
So it is possible to get a good 5* jacket. But it requires a lot of experience and for a novice it is basically a no go.

Last edited:

KBlake

One Too Many
I bought a 5* jacket and it was great. You can read my review of the jacket here, and get my overall thoughts about 5* here, and also here. I won't repeat myself for the sake of it, I'll just add that while I had to get the buttons resown, since then it has performed wonderfully. What's more, I recently took delivery of an Aero HBD, so I'm in a decent position to make a comparison. In my opinion, the Aero is a significantly better jacket, and certainly worth the extra outlay. But it doesn't embarrass the 5* or anything. The Aero is significantly better, and more expensive. The 5* is worse, and significantly cheaper. It's a great jacket for the price IMO.
This is exactly where I've landed with 5*.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. :)
MrProper is one of the nicest people on here. Anyone offended by him is being too sensitive.
Speaking of! I'd love to hear from @KBlake and how he's enjoying his new half-belt now that it's equipped with whatever ancient sleeve technology was previously being hidden by the illuminati.
I'm very happy with the jacket. I can reliably get a good jacket from 5* that I, the purchaser, consider good value, because I know what to ask for and what I want. You shouldn't have to emphasize curved sleeves but you won't get them otherwise with 5*.

As we have seen, others do not consider 5* a good investment and they are entitled to that opinion. You can get a used Schott or Vanson for the same price, which is a better jacket. That being said, you may not have the exact measurements you want with that jacket and it may not fit you as well. Here's an example of that. I have a Vanson F and a 5* that are similar in measurements and design. I prefer the fit of the 5* and never reach for the Vanson even though it's a superior jacket in terms of construction and materials.
IMG_8636.jpg
IMG_7067.jpg

I too would like to know how they unlocked the curved sleeve tech. My 5* jacket definitely doesn't have curved sleeves but they've kinda gone that way a bit through wear.
With 5* and many other areas of life, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Fonzie

One Too Many
You’re wrong and I can prove it. View attachment 615570
Here is Frankenstein wearing an early LW Grizzly. Definitely a Frankenjacket!
This is a common misconception but that’s not actually Frankenstein, it’s Frankenstein’s monster, which was created as a custom order from Dr. Frankenstein himself to Five Star Leathers back in the day…

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a common misconception but that’s not actually Frankenstein, it’s Frankenstein’s monster, which was created as a custom order from Dr. Frankenstein himself to Five Star Leathers back in the day…
Ok, but can we agree that he is wearing an LW Grizzly and not a cheap Five Star imitation.

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
anyone ever get their leather ma-1? their pics aren't tooo reassuring but then again even their excellent a-2's dont have the best pics
View attachment 608816
Ive wanted a leather MA-1 bomber for a long time, but I wasn't sure about the pocket flaps and the arm pen pocket.

All the modern leather bombers online in the lower price points have all been made of thinner lambskin leather.

After a bunch of emails back and forward with Shawn, I settled on giving it a go on the:

I went black Goatskin on black knits, with black lining.

I already own an Alexander Leathers cafe jacket in steerhide, but wanted a more modern, casual style leather jacket, and I didn't want to pay top bucks for it, in case I didn't love it.

Ill update with photos once I get it.

Cheers

Camel24hrs

New in Town
New Five Star RW 27752 in mid brown. Size 46 with back length at 26”

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33