Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Fitment

Jimvint

New in Town

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Yep. I figured that's the way to measure. The illustration is helpful because I see some measurements online from brim to brim. I don't see where that would be as helpful as measuring the opening.

Sellers do all kinds of strange things. My favorite is when they put the measuring stick underneath the hat and then take a photo from above. Absolutely useless, lol!

Happy hunting!

rogueclimber

One of the Regulars
One needs to be cautious when looking at the measurements though

The angle of the camera can change the way the measurement appears and throw it off enough to make it unusable

Reactions: CRH

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Maybe we can make this sticky? It seems to be a question that comes up periodically.

Oval size ratios

3:4 (15:20) long oval
4:5 (16:20) regular oval
9:10 (18:20) round oval

I don’t understand this information. Does this mean that if I am a size 7 long oval, then I should actually get a different size? Does it mean the long oval size 7 should actually be a different circumference than a regular oval size 7?

What is a “round oval”? That name doesn’t make sense to me at all (but maybe hatters understand it?).

Finally, what is a “regular oval” and why is it only 4:5 ratio? Shouldn’t it be 5:5 ratio? My head is not long oval, doesn’t that mean it is a “regular oval”?

I’m not good at math so I wouldn’t be surprised if I am totally missing something very self-evident about this information, but I really don’t get it .

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I don’t understand this information. Does this mean that if I am a size 7 long oval, then I should actually get a different size? Does it mean the long oval size 7 should actually be a different circumference than a regular oval size 7?

What is a “round oval”? That name doesn’t make sense to me at all (but maybe hatters understand it?).

Finally, what is a “regular oval” and why is it only 4:5 ratio? Shouldn’t it be 5:5 ratio? My head is not long oval, doesn’t that mean it is a “regular oval”?

I’m not good at math so I wouldn’t be surprised if I am totally missing something very self-evident about this information, but I really don’t get it .
These are width to length ratios, W:L.

5:5 or 1:1 would be a circle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou