Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s-30s Shirt Fabric Sample Book

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
The good ol' days, when you could find off-the-rack dress shirts made of such fabrics as pongee silk, viyella, and even solid colored madras.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i sometimes feel bad being so dismissive about modern shirt fabrics, but have a look at these samples; there is nothing today which comes close (apart from direct copies of these such as those by RRL or Mister Freedom).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Sold for $699.99. That is a lot of money. One would guess that it was a company purchase, rather than an individual.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So boardwalk empire was still and understatement... and still many people believe everything was black and white :eusa_doh:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Today's shirtings are quite dull and bland when compared to these.
For RTW, yes, but you can find some wild stuff in some of the bespoke shirtmaker's books. Charvet in particular have some shirtings (some vintage) that rival the stuff in these books.

mactire

New in Town
For RTW, yes, but you can find some wild stuff in some of the bespoke shirtmaker's books. Charvet in particular have some shirtings (some vintage) that rival the stuff in these books.

It depends, you can check scans of most of the books online from Alibini, Cancini, Monti etc. but there's a lot of patterns in that book I've never seen before like the multicoloured hairline stripes, the on again off again herringbones. Acorn Fabric's site http://www.acornfabrics.com/ gives a good idea of what the standard mills books are like but to get stuff like that I'd say you'd only find it after going through every cloth jobber between London and Leeds.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting the link to Acorn. I rather like this cloth:
REGENT-80-ORANGE-FINE-SHIRTING-FABRIC-495x371.jpg

mactire

New in Town
Thanks for posting the link to Acorn. I rather like this cloth:

If you're based in London mate you're sorted! Tons of jobbers around even these days, if you want pdf swtaches of the books of the makers there's a guy on styleforum who has them on dropbox u/badsha. Bonfanti has nice stuff too but dear http://www.bonfantitessuti.it/page_7.html its all narrow width so you need 3m to get a shirt made and those prices are ex-VAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24