Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's Cabin

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Hello!
This is my first post so I hope I am in the right place for this thread :)
I am looking to redo our small kitchen in late 1940's-early 50's style. Maybe I am being a bit to particular, but here is what I am looking for, idea-wise:
pictures of a cabin kitchen (we live in an 850 sq. ft. house) in the above era. The Mister used to summer in his grandparent's lodge on the Klamath River in the early 60's and I have a few pics from there, but what colors were used in a cabin kitchen? What type of appliances were in use? His grandparents had wood cabinets with glass fronts, so that is on my list of possibilites, other than I think I would use a frosted plastic insert in the cabinets I have now.
If you have any ideas, tips, sites that would help me out, I would appreciate it!

Mav

A-List Customer
Howdy, HB. Also a No, Californian, and we're got a ton of 1000 and less sq. ft. dwellings up our way. I live in a 900 sq. ft. Victorian cottage (haunted, big time, but that's a whole 'nother set of stories), and have spent some effort and research into dialing in an "authentic" look.
Kitchens are pretty easy. Remember that to get a vintage look, the look is "layered." You really want something that looks like several generations have occupied the same living space for many years.
Start witb a vintage stove (I have a '53 Wedgewood, PM me if you're close enough to the Bay Area, I can give you contact info for some great stove restorers) and an old style "Ulster" sink. Those are the big ticket items. The rest will flow from that.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Rick Dale restores a bunch of stuff like old Coke machines on the TV show Pawn Stars. On his website he's got some pics of 1950's refrigerators he's restored:

http://ricksrestorations.ning.com/photo/albums/2010-restorations-for

Note that in the era you are talking about many people had gas refrigerators. At my family's cabin, built by my grandfather in the 1950's, we still do!

Knotty pine boards as the doors on kitchen cabinets can look excellent in the right setting.

I'll try to find some pics for you.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all of that info...wow!
We use to visit a cabin in the Sierra's a friend of ours had that I don't think had changed much since the late 50's...it was always great to go up there and enjoy just feeling like you were in a simpler time...although she did have satellite TV!
Now if I can just not try to do everything at once and get frustrated at it not being done already :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy