Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1960s NYPD HORSEHIDE BLACK LEATHER POLICE JACKET by MIKLOS SAS with liner

nightandthecity

Practically Family
1960s City of New York Police Department patrolman's black leather jacket, by the leading post-war maker, Miklos Sas.

I am 38” chest, 5ft 7”, 10 ¾ stone and normally wear a size 38 jacket, and this fits me fairly well over a woolly jumper, though it might fit a 40” better.

Black horsehide leather body is tough and heavy, designed to withstand a knife attack. Thick black satin lining. Heavy duty two-directional steel “Talon” zip. Adjustable slits at side of waist to ease access to pistol and duty belt, also for comfort when riding a motorcycle. Two eyelets on the chest for Patrolman’s badge. Riveted steel chain hanger. Woven “Miklos Sas” label. Ornamental (non-functioning) epaulettes and chest pocket flaps. Two wide and deep internal pockets with press stud closure plus a useful pen pocket.

Still has the zip-in winter fleece liner, which is usually missing.

This jacket has been de-policed by changing the gilt NYC buttons to dull black press studs and removing the shoulder sleeve insignia, but the original buttons and insignia are included in the sale. The NYPD buttons are the early “1664” type (the date was changed to “1625” in 1977).

Condition is very good/excellent with no real problems that I can see. A couple of teeth are missing from the very last inch of the liner zip, which means it can’t be fastened for the last inch. Obviously there are stitch tracks where the insignia was removed.

This is possibly the best designed and most practical leather jacket I have ever owned. The zip-in liner gives it true 4 season/all year capability. It is as warm in the current weather as a sheepskin flight jacket, but without the liner it can be worn throughout the summer. The heavy duty horsehide is like armour and perfect for motorcycle riding. The two inner pockets are like bottomless pits - I used to wear this jacket a lot when travelling because of this.

chest, armpit to armpit: 23 ½"
arms, down top edge: 23" (straight)
back, from base of collar: 25"
shoulders, straight across top back: 18 ½”
All measurements taken with garment fastened, laid flat, and with a cloth tape (not metal).

£200 plus post.
UK postage £18.62 (Express 48)
This is well over 2kg so international postage will be very, very expensive! But if you are interested I can find out for you.

Last edited:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

Greenbird

New in Town
For what it is worth, I have one of those Miklos NYPD leather patrol jackets from the 60s or 70s, and although I have a couple of Aeros, etc., the Miklos jacket probably is my favorite jacket. The leather is really beautiful, in my opinion above and beyond the current horsehide stuff, because it actually holds its color. Very nice that you have the liner.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I agree, these are fantastic jackets. I don't really want to sell it but I need the dosh to put towards my Lewis Lumber fund, and something's got to go!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Bump! Didn't get round to listing this on ebay, but it's finally going on in the next few days. Price now £150 plus post (which will be horribly expensive outside the UK)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner